• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Running up to a disc?

You can't step past your marker until your disc comes to a rest, from 30 feet in. 10 meters is over 50 feet.

It is from within 10 meters, not 30 feet... 10 meters is just under 33 feet...32' 10" or something like that.

EDIT: ...didn't see the other two pages... :eek:

Below, straight out of the PDGA rules manual should answer all questions. Yeah, I know it boring but it is the straight answer.

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole
than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

B. Stepping past the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when
putting within 10 meters.

C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc
to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the
thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the
marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full
control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

D. A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any
obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course.

E. If a large solid obstacle prevents a player from taking a legal stance within 30 centimeters
directly behind the marker disc, the player shall take his or her stance immediately
behind that obstacle on the line of play. The player must comply with all the provisions of
803.04 A other than being within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc.

For a lot of the people that posted before this, read this carefully. There was a lot of misinformation going on, and this seems to be an area where lots of people are confused about the rules. You don't have to put a mini down unless you want to use the same disc again or want that extra 8 inches, otherwise the rules are the same whether you are throwing from your thrown disc or a marker. Outside of 10m you can run up and have a follow through that takes you past your lie as long as you release the disc with a foot (or other supporting point) on the line of play and within 30cm of the lie. Within 10m, you can't put a foot (or other supporting point) down in front of your lie until you have demonstrated balance, not just until the disc hits the chains.

It is from within 10 meters, not 30 feet... 10 meters is just under 33 feet...32' 10" or something like that.

EDIT: ...didn't see the other two pages... :eek:

NP. I don't have a copy of the PDGA rules. I always thought that the rule was 30 ft, so it's good to get clarification. This thread is a good example of why everyone should get a copy of the PDGA rules.

So just to make sure...You can just leave you disc where you landed or you can set your mini down in front of your disc in line with the basket. Right?

So just to make sure...You can just leave you disc where you landed or you can set your mini down in front of your disc in line with the basket. Right?

If you don't have or don't want to use a mini disc, another way I have done it and seen it done is to flip your disc over toward the basket. That way the edge furthest from the basket is now where the front edge once was. The rules allow you to stand or plant a foot as far forward as your disc came to rest and you definitely don't want to step on the disc. ;) I think this is legal. If not, someone correct me please.

If you don't have or don't want to use a mini disc, another way I have done it and seen it done is to flip your disc over toward the basket. That way the edge furthest from the basket is now where the front edge once was. The rules allow you to stand or plant a foot as far forward as your disc came to rest and you definitely don't want to step on the disc. ;) I think this is legal. If not, someone correct me please.

Please stand corrected. :) You can use the disc as is lies, OR use a mini. Disc flipping is common in casual rounds (I sure do it) and maybe even in local doubles, but is not allowed by the rules.

Correct. Just make sure you don't even touch your disc if you aren't going to put down a mini, no flipping, moving, or stepping on the disc you threw.

Please stand corrected. :) You can use the disc as is lies, OR use a mini. Disc flipping is common in casual rounds (I sure do it) and maybe even in local doubles, but is not allowed by the rules.

Thanks gvan, I stand corrected. :eek: Reading back over the rules, that is absolutely correct. Guess I need to go back to the whole rulebook one more time myself. :D

Latest posts