• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] S Line P2 flight w/ less rim depth

Lumberjack504

Eagle Member
So I recently switched to a power grip from a fan grip. It's giving me more nose down and better control/cleaner releases, so I'm enjoying it. The problem is, the depth of the S-line P2 is not quite agreeing with my new grip.

I love the glidey, slow, straight to reliable fade flight I get with the P2 but sadly the feel isn't there anymore. I've been using it for headwind putter drives and trusty approach shots, kind of as a complement to my straighter KC aviars.

I'd prefer to stick with the innova family but I'm open to other suggestions. No, I'm not sponsored, I just prefer their plastic/durability and it's my personal choice, whether you think it's silly or not! So, basically I'm looking for a good straight/slightly OS putter in premium plastic with firm HSS but not a harsh fade. And of course, something shallower than a P2.

Anyways, I'm looking at the following (in this order) based on some quick research:

Aviar3
P3x
Rhyno
Star aviar driver (BB aviar)
Envy

Would love to hear your experiences with the above discs or one you feel may suit my needs. Cheers

Aviar3 - very different flight, probably not as stable, little glide

P3X - no idea

Rhyno - champs are overstable, DX is less so and as they beat they gain a little glide

BB aviar - same mold as your KC aviar

Envy - good choice here, lots of HSS with relatively mellow LSS. Not floaty glidey though.

EDIT: I'd recommend trying a TP Shield

I went thru the same thing with my s-line P2. I use the Rhyno for approaches, but can only fan grip it. It's not comfortable for me when power gripping. Aviarx3 and p3x are both great for power grips! The p3x has a bead, the aviar x3 does not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just trust me on this ;)

Neutron or Proton MVP Atom

Neutron or Proton Axiom Envy

I've used both a LOT -- Atom is a little thinner feeling (but not super 'thin') - Envy is a little deeper with a microbead - Envy has a touch more glide - To me the Atom is like an Envy3 (in innova terms if that makes sense)

If you ask me - I know Envy is super popular but the max weight Proton Atom is my answer (neutron is a little straighter not as much fade, but still reliable, none of these discs are flippy unless you get baseline plastic and beat it up, baseline is called Electron - and a worn in electron atom is short range turnover money fyi)

Atom and Envy are good discs but will not give the slow P2 flight.

Most thinner discs fly faster through the air. I haven't found a slow and shallow putter mold personally. I'd stick with the P2, you'll learn the feel for the grip.

Most thinner discs fly faster through the air. I haven't found a slow and shallow putter mold personally. I'd stick with the P2, you'll learn the feel for the grip.

Yeah I totally get what you're saying. Everything's a trade-off I suppose.

I'm gonna try. I want it to work because I love the flight.

Bear with me here, but I have an idea.

S warlock. Now I have a very limited sampling of them, only thrown 4. The S blend on all 4 is a little different, but they all fly like a P2 to me. Slow, stable, more finish than an aviar, and they feel just like an aviar P&A.

I personally have gone to a colorglow rhyno for the OS putter slot. Less glide for sure, and a little dumpy at first. But after a good 2 weeks of throwing it in my yard daily and about 4 rounds on it, it gained a tick of glide, fade is a little less dumpy, and it's really workable. Doesn't do a forced turnover as well as a P2, but that is what forehands are for! Doesn't feel anything like a P2 though.

I'll vote Envy, also.

Super comfortable. HSS with a decent fade.

Probably a little faster than a P2, but I think the flight will be similar.

Absolutely true - the Atom/Envy do fly a little faster than a P2 - but if he wants a thinner (not as deep) feeling disc you're going to sacrifice a little glide and gain speed - the fun thing with the Envy is it has glide bigtime

I agree with everyone about if you go shallower...you gain speed. If you want shallow driving putter, tons of HSS and not a huge fade, Envy is the first that comes to mind.

I think you'll find the BB Aviar to be at least as deep as the P2; ergo, you might not like it.

Somewhat similar to the Envy (not a total duplicate, of course) is the Star Stud. It's more shallow than the P2 and Aviar family.

Another (and IMHO better) suggestion is the Infinite Discs Tomb. I really like the Tomb in both its shallow feel and its stable-to-overstable flight.

Impossible to go thinner and get the exact same flight. Here are some options:

Envy - My first gut thought as it has great HSS with a nice smooth forward fade. This will be faster, I'm not sure why some suggest it is not glidey, because I find it quite glidey for me.

Shield - Smaller profile I think resistant to HSS and comes in a great amount of different plastics.

Marshal - I believe this is more shallow, but does have a microbead. This is the disc I would be putting and throwing if the envy didn't exist.

I agree with everyone about if you go shallower...you gain speed. If you want shallow driving putter, tons of HSS and not a huge fade, Envy is the first that comes to mind.

I keep hearing the envy come up so I may need to give one a shot.

I'm also not looking for super shallow, as I comfortably throw my KC aviars. The P2 is just a smiiiidge too deep for my liking at this point.

So I recently switched to a power grip from a fan grip. It's giving me more nose down and better control/cleaner releases, so I'm enjoying it. The problem is, the depth of the S-line P2 is not quite agreeing with my new grip.

I love the glidey, slow, straight to reliable fade flight I get with the P2 but sadly the feel isn't there anymore. I've been using it for headwind putter drives and trusty approach shots, kind of as a complement to my straighter KC aviars.

I'd prefer to stick with the innova family but I'm open to other suggestions. No, I'm not sponsored, I just prefer their plastic/durability and it's my personal choice, whether you think it's silly or not! So, basically I'm looking for a good straight/slightly OS putter in premium plastic with firm HSS but not a harsh fade. And of course, something shallower than a P2.

Anyways, I'm looking at the following (in this order) based on some quick research:

Aviar3
P3x
Rhyno
Star aviar driver (BB aviar)
Envy

Would love to hear your experiences with the above discs or one you feel may suit my needs. Cheers

I think you should add AviarX3 to that list since it's identical to the P3x minus the bead. I didn't get consistent flights out of the regular Aviar3...it's in that 'sorta stable' zone that makes it unreliable for me. I throw the P3x backhand and exclusively use the AviarX3 for forehand approaches because it comes out of my hand better. They are speed 3 discs vs. the speed 2 P2, but they are also more stable and have less glide than the P2.

What does give me really good glide is my C-Line P3. It's definitely more shallow and with numbers of 3/2/0/3 it sounds like it would be way more stable, but when thrown flat and hard(ish for a putter) it stays dead straight for me with a reliable fade at the end. I like throwing it low for tunnel shots because it just keeps gliding then checks up quickly when the fade kicks in. It's shallow for a putter, which is expected with a speed 3 disc, but it is kind of domey which contributes to the glide. I'd even say the rim itself is even more shallow than an Envy or P3x, but the height of the disc comes from the domey top. They also make them in D-Line, which could be money for those glidey shots you're looking for.

I would go Pro Pig. slightly more distance than the Rhyno, no Bead and it feels amazing in a power grip and FH pistol or power grip.

I had the same problem. Dug a Star Innova Stud out and it does very nicely. I have no idea how it compares to the ones you have listed. It's a bit less stable for me than a C- or S-P2 but that might be because I can throw it more cleanly.