• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Salient Disc Golf

Guess I'm on the second batch of pre-orders so I'll have to wait, but Zam rocked this stamp hard.
Thing of beauty.

We got an update and expect the final shipment next week. I should be able to turn them out same day and get all our pre-orders filled.

Once we fill all our pre-orders the disc will go live for those that were waiting to pick their exact disc

I am really interested to see how mine fly, tracked my DN package and it looks like they're supposed to show up today. I will let everyone know what my experience with them is, I throw primarily RHFH. Anybody else receive a shipment to confirm what TOURNEYPLAYER was saying about them? I'm seeing them for sale on Facebook now, but still only one person that has thrown theirs? Let's hear some more reviews!!!

I am really interested to see how mine fly, tracked my DN package and it looks like they're supposed to show up today. I will let everyone know what my experience with them is, I throw primarily RHFH. Anybody else receive a shipment to confirm what TOURNEYPLAYER was saying about them? I'm seeing them for sale on Facebook now, but still only one person that has thrown theirs? Let's hear some more reviews!!!

Im getting mine today as well and will do a full video review.

Just ordered one from eBay, kinda excited to try this thing out. I dont think my destroyers are going anywhere but its worth a shot

I received mine yesterday and gave it a few throws. I put pictures and my first impressions on a different thread though. See page 82 on the link below.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88613&page=82&highlight=prometheus

My initial thoughts on the Prometeheus. full review coming.

Prometheus: wow this thing releases from the hand really clean, more stable than I thought it was going to be, you can really get some serious D flexing this disc. mine is marked 189g so it is heavy. It handles a headwind decently and doesn't have as hard a fade as I was expecting...seems to lack glide? could just be me, and yes it does fit in my bag but it sticks up lol. I will definitely be grabbing more prometheus around the low 180g. The high weight is just not for me

Well, this figures...

Mine showed up today. Max weight at 189, and really feels heavy in the hand. Unfortunately I've been having nasty back spasms yesterday and today, so I'm not going to be able to go toss this thing for a few days. What a tease!

First impressions: The plastic is quite good to look at, with a slightly translucent, swirly appearance when held up to the light. There is quite a bit of flashing around the edges, but nothing that shouldn't sand off fairly easily. The disc was very soft/floppy after sitting in 90 degree heat. The envelope the disc was in was placed in a shady area, so I wonder how this plastic will hold up on the course in the heat of summer. The disc has had a chance to cool since then and is still a bit floppy. I'm not sure how this will affect throws (if at all) and on the bright side it should minimize the distance the disc ricochets off of obstacles. Like I said, the 189 gram disc feels quite heavy, abut without throwing it I don't want to pass judgement. Finally, don't buy the hype about the wider diameter making the disc not feel like a warp speed drive. It feels similar to a Nuke in my hand, so if you don't like the feeling of a 12-13 speed rim, this won't be for you.

Overall I'm really looking forward to getting out and seeing what this disc can do. I think I'm going to toss it on a short tree-lined course a couple times to beat out some of the stability the DGfanatic mentioned, and then I'll take it out and see what it does on longer, more open holes.

I received my First Run stamped one in the mail today directly from Salient. It arrived with a pretty badly warped/dipped flight plate. :thmbdown: I'm assuming this was due to the hot weather while it was shipping, and I'm hoping it returns to normal.

I took mine to an open field to throw it around. With it weighing in at 188g, I do NOT have the arm for this thing out of the box. Backhand/tailwind, it began to fade hard immediately out of my hand. Backhand/headwind, it flattened out somewhat but still faded hard at the end. Forehand/tailwind, it would fly best if I released it on a slight anny. The furthest throws I got from it came on some ugly overhead flex shots, (chucker throws as I call them). I got a few of those out past 300 feet. For comparison, I backhand my GL River 325, and forehand my Star Destroyer around 400. I want to love this disc so badly, but it's just not clicking with me. I was hoping for much more glide. I will say that it gets where it's going very quickly!

Here is a size comparison for those wondering how large the diameter is. (Fury/Prometheus/Condor)
picture.php

Since I just moved up from max speed of 9 to max speed of 11, and I prefer drivers at 166-168g, maybe I shouldn't have even tried. But I did.

My disc scaled 186g, and flew basically like a Rival, though about 10' shorter.

A friend came by who is forehand dominant and throws mainly XCals. He tried it & liked it, though the soft plastic gave him grip problems.

weird. i threw one today; definitely heavy. 188 grams. keep in mind i only threw it once. for me it was straight with a VERY long, slow fade. i didn't get a clean rip, but i kinda liked it. the widest rim i throw is an OLF right now, but i could see this beating into a great distance disc, and i bet you could lay down some ridiculous OH rollers with it. probably rolls forever.

and if you throw these for training, then go back to regular weights . . . oo baby. they'll feel like 160's. ;)

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm Scott with SD. I'm one of the owners and I design of the discs. I've never been on any forums or face book so this is all new to me! I wanted to field some questions and maybe give some insight as to what we are about as a company.
The delays for Prometheus was a weight issue and the fact that the machine broke mid run. We are sincerely sorry for the delays and it will not happen again, though we are finishing the first run still.(once again the machine.)
As for quality control about 10% of the discs where test driven regularly while they came out of the cold molds. They all flew well. Also 75% of the discs had their parting line and the dome height measured to check consistency. If they failed they get discarded. The discs do fly consistently, the issue for some people will be the weight. The difference between the aqua and the blue is nothing shape wise, but there is a trend of weight difference. The aqua tend to be about 3-5 grams lighter. This will affect the flight of the discs because you can get more speed on the lighter ones obviously. The reason why the different color makes for different weight is the different flow rate of the molten plastic. It affects how much we have to pack the mold. The more we have to pack the mold the heavier the disc will be. When I test the discs they are thrown at the same linear and rotational velocities. Therefore the discs produce the same flight, which is unbiased to weight or how the disc feels. When people throw them I'm sure that the vast majority of the discs fly consistently when compared to one of similar weight. I am also confident that most people will throw discs of different weights differently.
People tend to have the ability to have a higher spin/air speed ratio with forehands then backhands. This is more evident in larger diameter and heavy weight discs. For example midranges.
We are working on getting the weight down into the 170s. This is part of the reason for the delay, but our machine going out messed with our sampling and we have not produced those weights consistently. We do know we can get the weight down but we have to get the process down. This process is like walking on the edge of a knife because our plastic has a very small processing window.
The delay is inexcusable and is our responsibility. We did not get our materials when we where told and we had mechanical failures, but that doesn't change the fact that we didn't get our product out when we said we would. We got excited about seeing something we dreamed up, prototyped and loved. As a company we should have waited longer and held in the excitement. Though I'm sure you all can understand, it doesn't excuse it. Thank you for your support, encouragement, excitement and sometimes even your criticism. We as a company want to listen to our customers feed back and ideas even if it isn't always easy to hear. As long as its constructive I feel the responsibility to listen.
Who ever came up with Failient, thats funny. I'm going to bring that up at the next board meeting. Also do want a job coming up with names for us?
PS I found out my wife is pregnant with our third kid today! And sorry for any miss spelling and grammar, I do numbers:)

Hey guys I'm Scott with SD. I'm one of the owners and I design of the discs. I've never been on any forums or face book so this is all new to me! I wanted to field some questions and maybe give some insight as to what we are about as a company.
The delays for Prometheus was a weight issue and the fact that the machine broke mid run. We are sincerely sorry for the delays and it will not happen again, though we are finishing the first run still.(once again the machine.)
As for quality control about 10% of the discs where test driven regularly while they came out of the cold molds. They all flew well. Also 75% of the discs had their parting line and the dome height measured to check consistency. If they failed they get discarded. The discs do fly consistently, the issue for some people will be the weight. The difference between the aqua and the blue is nothing shape wise, but there is a trend of weight difference. The aqua tend to be about 3-5 grams lighter. This will affect the flight of the discs because you can get more speed on the lighter ones obviously. The reason why the different color makes for different weight is the different flow rate of the molten plastic. It affects how much we have to pack the mold. The more we have to pack the mold the heavier the disc will be. When I test the discs they are thrown at the same linear and rotational velocities. Therefore the discs produce the same flight, which is unbiased to weight or how the disc feels. When people throw them I'm sure that the vast majority of the discs fly consistently when compared to one of similar weight. I am also confident that most people will throw discs of different weights differently.
People tend to have the ability to have a higher spin/air speed ratio with forehands then backhands. This is more evident in larger diameter and heavy weight discs. For example midranges.
We are working on getting the weight down into the 170s. This is part of the reason for the delay, but our machine going out messed with our sampling and we have not produced those weights consistently. We do know we can get the weight down but we have to get the process down. This process is like walking on the edge of a knife because our plastic has a very small processing window.
The delay is inexcusable and is our responsibility. We did not get our materials when we where told and we had mechanical failures, but that doesn't change the fact that we didn't get our product out when we said we would. We got excited about seeing something we dreamed up, prototyped and loved. As a company we should have waited longer and held in the excitement. Though I'm sure you all can understand, it doesn't excuse it. Thank you for your support, encouragement, excitement and sometimes even your criticism. We as a company want to listen to our customers feed back and ideas even if it isn't always easy to hear. As long as its constructive I feel the responsibility to listen.
Who ever came up with Failient, thats funny. I'm going to bring that up at the next board meeting. Also do want a job coming up with names for us?
PS I found out my wife is pregnant with our third kid today! And sorry for any miss spelling and grammar, I do numbers:)
What you said Scott about the weight and spin makes complete sense. I found I could seriously put all my power into this thing low and hard and it would glide for days. Love this disc and can't wait to see what others think about the lighter weights

Welcome Scott, amd kudos for being honest and having a thick skin. Both of those qualities will serve you well here. Good luck!

Early in this forum someone asked about filling in gaps in regards to different flights of discs. What has not been made is a high speed driver with the flight of a fairway driver. That is the point of prometheus. Some people won't have a problem producing the spin at 188g to get it to fly correctly some will. Backhanders will see this the most. We made the decision to release it at heavy weights because some will find it useful and it also makes history in our sport. The first large diameter wide rim driver ever made. It has the angular momentum similar to a Teebird, valk or Tracker with the aerodynamics of a Destroyer. The valk had the world record for so long because of angular momentum, which gave it glide, and a fair amount of speed. It took a really fast disc at an insanely low weight to beat it by a few feet 11 years later. Prometheus combines speed and angular momentum to produce controlled d. Please be patient as we get the weight down. The disc is approved at a higher weight then the pdga's site says. We are working on that. Due to my newness to forums, am I allowed to post on any forum as a company rep or just vendor forums? Thanks in advanced.

Early in this forum someone asked about filling in gaps in regards to different flights of discs. What has not been made is a high speed driver with the flight of a fairway driver. That is the point of prometheus. Some people won't have a problem producing the spin at 188g to get it to fly correctly some will. Backhanders will see this the most. We made the decision to release it at heavy weights because some will find it useful and it also makes history in our sport. The first large diameter wide rim driver ever made. It has the angular momentum similar to a Teebird, valk or Tracker with the aerodynamics of a Destroyer. The valk had the world record for so long because of angular momentum, which gave it glide, and a fair amount of speed. It took a really fast disc at an insanely low weight to beat it by a few feet 11 years later. Prometheus combines speed and angular momentum to produce controlled d. Please be patient as we get the weight down. The disc is approved at a higher weight then the pdga's site says. We are working on that. Due to my newness to forums, am I allowed to post on any forum as a company rep or just vendor forums? Thanks in advanced.

You can post on any forum :)

When I test the discs they are thrown at the same linear and rotational velocities. Therefore the discs produce the same flight, which is unbiased to weight or how the disc feels.

Hi Scott! Thanks for the info, it is useful. I am curious, do you have some sort of disc launcher machine that is used for testing the discs? I have always wondered whether these sorts of machines existed and were used to figure out ideal flight lines and such. If you don't have such a machine, how do you guarantee that test flights are always the same linear/rotational velocities? Thanks!

Hughes

We do have a machine. At some point I want to take it out on one of our local courses and use it to play a round! Maybe when I get each hole dialed in I can have a man vs machine challenge. I don't know if other companies have them or not.