• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Disc Shoes

wore these yesterday in sub freezing temps with a few inches of snow pack on the ground and just a pair of wool socks without any problems at all. Played for 5 hours in those conditions on ice and mud as well and can say these shoes are legit. The tread is bad ass for grip on poor surfaces and the construction is very solid holding up in these conditions where boots generally are a good idea.

My work boots have a Vibram sole/tread, but they say "Vibram"

I remember seeing pictures here of the same looking "Vibram" plate, that didn't say vibram on it. Then the bottom pictures of the salient shoe being removed.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to know.

You are aware that Vibram makes soles for manufacturers other than themselves, right?
Yes they do, but these are not them.
My work boots have a Vibram sole/tread, but they say "Vibram"

I remember seeing pictures here of the same looking "Vibram" plate, that didn't say vibram on it. Then the bottom pictures of the salient shoe being removed.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to know.

You are correct.

Last edited:
Did they keep the blank rounded off box on the bottom?

Not sure about production runs but the shoes are even more blatantly stamped with the salient logo on the side and tongue. No one has wondered if im wearing vibram shoes lol.

So wait, Failent is being accused of shady business practices, cutting corners to make a quick buck and generally doing things completely the wrong way? I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you! :eek::eek:

I mean seriously..

Costco uses Capt Morgain for the Kirkland brand spiced rum
Costco uses Grey Goose for the Kirkland brand vodka
Every major retailer/brand out there has a house brand, made by other major manufacturers, without their licensing on it.

Do you complain about them? Not a bit. You'd rather moan and groan about things in the past rather than see a company turn themselves around (which is happening, much to your chagrin).

Perhaps, one day, you could provide positive, constructive, criticism. It does the soul much better than trying to make yourself feel better throwing internet-based euphemisms. I actually pity you.

For the record, I do like the shoes that I have received. There are a few concerns here and there, should have a video in about 3 1/2 weeks (doing a longer term testing on these).

Can you guys who have been using the shoes for a bit elaborate a little on how the stitching and tread is holding up? I've been using the Keen Delaveaga for about a year and a half and its basically turning into a slipper. Especially on my pivot foot. I understand that's a long time to have a shoe, but I only wear it for disc golf. The thing that impressed me most with the Keen is the stitching is still perfect, the colorfastness is superb and there is no sole seperation. But the tread is destroyed. As of late I've been using some Asics cross-trainers for casual rounds just to extend the life of my Keens.

The price point on the Salient shoes is unmatched, but I also don't really want to be buying three pairs per year, you know?

LASTLY, WhiteyBear covered it pretty well, but I will say this: if I of all people have come around on Salient, then no one anywhere should have any complaints. Their early hiccups were pretty big, but they get over them quickly.

need to get more use under them for an official opinion on durability but have been wearing regularly as well as for few disc golf rounds the past month and are not showing much wear at this point. definitely designed for natural terrain and grip very well. Almost cleat like which makes them a little weird on concrete/asphalt surfaces.

Not to get too personal, but how much do you weigh and how tall are you? I'm 5 foot 10 and 225 so I'm pretty hard on shoes.

No problem my videos are around lol we aren't the same size at allllllll -- you would be putting 75 more lbs on them. I have still had some hiking shoes which don't look very good after a single round tho so hear you. The material is pretty hard but I do wish they were wider so that's something to consider only a standard fit currently.

I agree with Aim. The shoes are very stiff/hard and the fit is narrow through the arch. It is roomier in the toes. I have not had an opportunity to wear them much at all given the snow. My hope is that they become a little more flexible and stretch with more use.

I primarily play in concrete and haven't had any issues. The sole is good for concrete or terrain.

I mean seriously..

Costco uses Capt Morgain for the Kirkland brand spiced rum
Costco uses Grey Goose for the Kirkland brand vodka
Every major retailer/brand out there has a house brand, made by other major manufacturers, without their licensing on it.
Yeah, but Costco pays Captain Morgan. From what I understand Failent just ripped off the Vibram tread design.

Pity me all you want, but I have no interest in seeing a company run by Mr. Kilgus succeed. If you go back and read some old threads you'll find I defended Salient to the hilt for quite a while during the Prometheus debacle. Then I had an interaction with the owner, regarding how unhappy I was with the disc not performing anything close to what was promised. Plus there were plenty of public comments here by him. Now, you're welcome to your opinion, and to state it as loudly and vocally as I state mine. That's the beauty of our society. But neither your opinion or your pity will change my opinion of the man behind this company and the way he does business. It will also not change the fact that I will do everything in my (admittedly very limited) power to discourage others from having anything to do with this brand. The great thing about this is usually all I have to do is let people throw my first run Prometheus, and they agree that they'd rather buy from someone else. Selling discs made in China, unscrupulous business practices, and rotten customer service usually don't even enter the conversation.

Have a nice one, and hopefully we can throw some discs some time instead of just slinging words around.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Costco pays Captain Morgan. From what I understand Failent just ripped off the Vibram tread design.

Pity me all you want, but I have no interest in seeing a company run by Mr. Kilgus succeed. If you go back and read some old threads you'll find I defended Salient to the hilt for quite a while during the Prometheus debacle. Then I had an interaction with the owner, regarding how unhappy I was with the disc not performing anything close to what was promised. Now, you're welcome to your opinion, and to state it as loudly and vocally as I state mine. That's the beauty of our society. But neither your opinion or your pity will change my opinion of the man behind this company and the way he does business. It will also not change the fact that I will do everything in my (admittedly very limited) power to discourage others from having anything to do with this brand. The great thing about this is usually all I have to do is let people throw my first run Prometheus, and they agree that they'd rather buy from someone else. Selling discs made in China, unscrupulous business practices, and rotten customer service usually don't even enter the conversation.

Have a nice one, and hopefully we can throw some discs some time instead of just slinging words around.

I'll address your points 1 by 1

"Yeah, but Costco pays Captain Morgan. From what I understand Failent just ripped off the Vibram tread design."

Companies get patent protection, once that patent runs out then it's fair game. You wouldn't have all these disc companies otherwise. Do you blast every major manufacturer for copying other molds? Do you go on their threads and complain and whine?

"The great thing about this is usually all I have to do is let people throw my first run Prometheus, and they agree that they'd rather buy from someone else."

I do not recommend this disc to anyone, and I believe Salient already admitted that it didn't live up to the hype. Oh darn, hyberbole by a company that didn't pan out...Lat64/Innova/Legacy/Discraft anyone? So the disc didn't fly the way you wanted it to, do you call all those other manufacturers and do the same thing?

"Selling discs made in China"

Even the amazing Grip did this for a while too, and Trilogy is offshore as well. Every country has their problems. Good thing is, as you well know, you can vote with your dollars. Don't be surprised if more discs come from outside sources, I'd expect Japan and Europe to start getting more involved.

"Unscrupulous business practices, and rotten customer service"

Welcome back to the beginning, but, since early 2014 things have turned around, drastically. I think you need to have a measured reflection on what happened with you, forgive, and move on. Forgiveness heals you more than them. I'd recommend forgiveness over bitterness any day. And, for what it's worth, their Cx service has grown leaps and bounds.

Whatever you decide to do is up to you, but if you have *only* tried their Prometheus, I'd recommend you try something else, or just rid them of your sight from now on. It doesn't make you grow at all.

Latest posts