• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Disc Shoes

Not sure they actually sell them anymore either. Per some amazon reviews when trying to replace an "old" pair the new ones were not the same as what they bought in store at REI?

Im just really curious. they clearly are identical.

Not sure they actually sell them anymore either. Per some amazon reviews when trying to replace an "old" pair the new ones were not the same as what they bought in store at REI?

Im just really curious. they clearly are identical.

I found them on some random shoe sites. They are an older model but there is lots of inventory left.

Just grinds my gears a bit. :popcorn:

Does Steve Madden shoes grind your gears? Jimmy Choo or Aldi? How about Adidas?

All these shoe companies have similar designs to others.

Innova made blizzard, everyone else followed. Yet people still buy those brands.

It's a good shoe with a good sole. Understanding the way textile industry a little deeper will open your eyes.

It's a good shoe with a good sole. Understanding the way textile industry a little deeper will open your eyes.

It is a good shoe with a proven sole. Nothing wrong with that. Its the fact that Salient has said that they have a sole that they think will work best for golfers and the outdoors. Well, yes, we know it works because Vibram came up with it.

Yes, its a blatant rip off. It is NOT a similar design, its the same design. There are no pat #s, the Vibram logo is now Salient green and the two green blobs (which are still the exact same design) are different. Oh, and the Vibram on the outside of the sole now says Outdoor.

Its like they took a cast of the mold and went to work from there. Oh well, if its good enough for people to wear than so be it. If Salient wants to have an affordable shoe for DGers then they HAD to go this route. Its far too expensive to design a shoe from the ground up. At least give a little acknowledgement that your ideas came from somewhere else.

$77 for a shoe with no warranty? Meh.

Of course, all IMO.

It is a good shoe with a proven sole. Nothing wrong with that. Its the fact that Salient has said that they have a sole that they think will work best for golfers and the outdoors. Well, yes, we know it works because Vibram came up with it.

Yes, its a blatant rip off. It is NOT a similar design, its the same design. There are no pat #s, the Vibram logo is now Salient green and the two green blobs (which are still the exact same design) are different. Oh, and the Vibram on the outside of the sole now says Outdoor.

Its like they took a cast of the mold and went to work from there. Oh well, if its good enough for people to wear than so be it. If Salient wants to have an affordable shoe for DGers then they HAD to go this route. Its far too expensive to design a shoe from the ground up. At least give a little acknowledgement that your ideas came from somewhere else.

$77 for a shoe with no warranty? Meh.

Of course, all IMO.

A great response that leaves little to argument. Kudos to you for responding without the typical internet vitriol and rhetoric.

I truly appreciate everyone's concern about the sole used on the Salient DGX. I would also like to point out that the amount of misinformation for the sake of arguing continues to be alarming. The fact is that manufacturing any item is more in depth than just picking a sole and making a shoe. Companies that manufacture shoes have relationships with different companies and the relationship we have or don't have with another company is not something openly discussed. We can assure you that we have no issues with Vibram or they with us. We will continue to make affordable products and invite feedback from anyone who has purchased said product.

I wonder if its possible both the shoes come from the same "place" and ones essentially a generic branded version...? Basically just not paying for the vibram name and their guarantees, etc? It seems like they could easily have the same actual "maker" and being branded separately with small changes. I have no idea how this stuff works though and if companies can have relationships such as Gateway and all the different "brands" which they mold discs for that are not an actual part of the Gateway Disc Golf Company but separate entities in that sense.

Back on track:

I got off a work a little late yesterday so I threw on my DGX's and did a little "field" work throwing across a parking lot (and into grass.) Now, the Keen Delaveaga's I was using before were pretty well worn (especially in the toe, naturally) so the DGX's were an adjustment on drives because they grabbed the concrete sidewalk pretty well. It wasn't too terrible, but it required some getting used to. I would say I threw probably 40 drives and by the end it wasn't an issue and didn't mess with my form at all. 40 drives isn't a lot, but keep in mind I'm almost 230 pounds at 5 foot 10, so I put a lot of stress on these shoes. Despite that I saw very, very little wear on the soles of the shoes. Some of the treads has some scraping but far from wearing down.

If I had one complaint with the DGX, it's actually the shoe laces. On the right shoe there is already fraying and the plastic end pieces have cracked. The left shoe doesn't have fraying, but the plastic ends are similarly cracked. I was worried about the all blacks heating up my feet, but they breathe pretty well. I put some anti-stink balls in there when I'm not wearing them anyway.

Going to pick up some better laces today at Foot Locker, so it's not a huge issue.

I wonder if its possible both the shoes come from the same "place" and ones essentially a generic branded version...? Basically just not paying for the vibram name and their guarantees, etc? It seems like they could easily have the same actual "maker" and being branded separately with small changes. I have no idea how this stuff works though and if companies can have relationships such as Gateway and all the different "brands" which they mold discs for that are not an actual part of the Gateway Disc Golf Company but separate entities in that sense.

I think that's likely the closest to reality. I may be mistaken, but I believe what really makes Vibram "Vibram" is the composition of the rubber blend, not the lug design. The sole manufacturer probably has a bunch of different molds and while this mold is made to accommodate Vibram's branding, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's exclusive to it. Just like if you were to take apart a Samsung and LG TV, you would find that many of the parts are exactly the same.

We will continue to make affordable products and invite feedback from anyone who has purchased said product.

This right here says it all. You are welcome to feedback from those who have bought it but not from those who are on the fence about it. :wall:

Just want to make sure that people know that they are buying a true proven design but with a different rubber compound (quite possibly) so take that as you may.

I'd love to try them out but you dont make them in a 13.

The main part is they are cheap ($77) but they dont come with a warranty. I bought my shoes (Teva Riva Event) for $84, a true Vibram sole and a warranty.

I bought my shoes (Teva Riva Event) for $84, a true Vibram sole and a warranty.

I love the Teva Riva. I was at a Shoe Carnival a few months back and they were on sale for $70 Plus they had a buy one get one half off deal going on. Picked up 2 pair for $105.

This right here says it all. You are welcome to feedback from those who have bought it but not from those who are on the fence about it. :wall:

Just want to make sure that people know that they are buying a true proven design but with a different rubber compound (quite possibly) so take that as you may.

I'd love to try them out but you dont make them in a 13.

The main part is they are cheap ($77) but they dont come with a warranty. I bought my shoes (Teva Riva Event) for $84, a true Vibram sole and a warranty.
Personally I only want feedback from people who have used the product. Those that haven't are giving an opinion formed on nothing. You have only seen the product. To those that have the shoes and have given real feedback on what they have found while using the product, thank you. Your feedback is appreciated.

Personally I only want feedback from people who have used the product. Those that haven't are giving an opinion formed on nothing. You have only seen the product. To those that have the shoes and have given real feedback on what they have found while using the product, thank you. Your feedback is appreciated.

Exactly. How can you give even remotely relevant opinions on something you haven't seen or tried?

People review items on the looks all the time.

Once again, this shoes sole looks almost identical to a Vibram sole. Some buyers might buy it thinking that it was made by Vibram.

Oh well, I wish all the best to those that bought these. Hopefully you have no issues with them wearing out or giving you issues.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a while. Why would anybody give a crap about your opinion on something you haven't even used?

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a while. Why would anybody give a crap about your opinion on something you haven't even used?

People review items on the looks all the time.

Once again, this shoes sole looks almost identical to a Vibram sole. Some buyers might buy it thinking that it was made by Vibram.

Oh well, I wish all the best to those that bought these. Hopefully you have no issues with them wearing out or giving you issues.

Summed it up here.

Again, damn close replica tread to a well known brand might sucker in a few people thinking they are getting that name quality. Salient has the right idea but just didn't execute it right IMHO.

How did they not execute it right? Salient released a competitive product at a competitive price. Why are we all worried about where the design of the sole came from? Like others have stated, this happens ALL THE TIME with all kinds of products, but because Salient is doing it shame on them? I have been wearing these shoes for a bit now, and have been enjoying them. The tread is solid and grips the dirt very well. I will say that my only complaint is the lack of arch support (which could just be because of my paddle-like feet) but it does seem to lack a little bit there. It feels like they grip my heal and the pad of my foot, but I will have to put something inside to get the arch support I like. Thus far, that is my only critique, they have been holding up very well, and again, they grip very well even on the muddy courses out here in WA.

TR3 Limited Review

Category: DG Specific Shoe
Product: Salient DGX (1st Run)

(might need a little time to process)

Additional thoughts/info:
• Sizes generally range from 9.5 50 12, in half-sizes as well
• Full water repellant oxford outer
• Waterproof/water resistant urethane coated inner oxford
• Full lower napa leather outer for side blow out protection
• Synthetic polyurethane toe box for front toe protection
• Rubber torsion control sole for added stability on and off the fairway
• Stiff rear mid sole for added pivot stability
• Neutral arch support for easy foot conformity

Overall Grade: A-
Overall Value: A+
Closest Competitor, in style; Keen DeLaVega (if I had to make a choice, being DG specific)
Closest Competitor, in price range; Too many to list, but I could find none that were DG specific near the same price, and current in market.

Reasoning;

I really enjoyed my time testing this shoe. I really did climb trees, help demo/work light construction, wore them in for work, drove in them, casual uses, non-casual uses. Most of my shoe purchases come in the form of going into Sam's club and picking up whatever ~$35 summer shoe they have in stock. I could care less about buying ridiculously-expensive hiking shoes. There's something to be said about DGers who demand so much out of their shoes, yet also expect that dragging your toe against rough concrete is suitable for any shoes and should be compensated via warranty if the shoe "fails."
The tread in fabulous, I can't comment on that enough, but it's not so ridiculous that you'll find yourself catching the ground and falling over either. The only problem I had is when they were wet and I was walking on my tile floor in the kitchen that was a little slick.
Are there better shoes out there? Sure, absolutely. Are there better shoes out there for the price, and are DG specific? Not that I'm aware of, but feel free to list it. For under $100, it's a solid choice in the market.

Final Thoughts, and constructive criticism

1. The loops in the back were a little tight to get my fingers in them, it's not a big deal but worth noting.
2. The laces could be improved, they periodically came loose after a day or so of use, a trip to the local sporting goods store would solve this for a couple of bucks if it bothers you.
3. There's more space in the toe than I prefer. Coming from a soccer background, I like shoes a tad more fitting. That being said, I'd say the arch support was idea…nay darn near perfect. I have "average" feet.
4. My feet never "slipped out" once, and my heels were not rubbed raw from the back of the shoe either.
5. The insole could be better, it gets a little loose, if you usually buy an aftermarket insole, it could be smart to take it out altogether.
6. I didn't suffer "fatigue" in my feet like I usually do in other brands, but I would like to follow-up with this review about about 6-8 months of use.

Last edited:

Latest posts