• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Disc Shoes

Its crazy how much the salient shoes look like vibrams
Down to the logo on the sole
Am I missing something
Isnt this a straight up copy?

1st post in a month and it's a poorly written critique of Salient. Hmmm...

Man, you're just running with the same torch that Kilgus has. Dude asks a question, and you flame him. Stay classy Salient. Way to win over customers with your stellar public relations.

I don't work for Salient there, chief.

pappabearlee: the tread pattern has been addressed earlier in the thread, at length. From picture comparisons, it isn't "mostly identical" it IS identical. The shoes are manufactured elsewhere, by a company that is not Salient. No one seems to know the exact legality of the situation, but Vibram hasn't sued, so it remains unknown at this time.

pappabearlee: the tread pattern has been addressed earlier in the thread, at length. From picture comparisons, it isn't "mostly identical" it IS identical. The shoes are manufactured elsewhere, by a company that is not Salient. No one seems to know the exact legality of the situation, but Vibram hasn't sued, so it remains unknown at this time.

No one said you did. You are on their pseudo team though, and seem to have joined in on their craptastic business culture. Additionally, you have suddenly become their lead apologist, and defender on this forum. Pretty sad, man.

Want to improve their image? Don't be an a-hole to the customers, and critics. That's where Salient continues to falter.

Last edited:
Let us not forget, AndyJB has bashed Salient MULTIPLE times before and then suddenly, changes his tune in the last few months. Almost as if he stuffed his foot in his mouth for a discount on some shoes and a bag, and possibly some free discs.

Tell me, how's that tread pattern TASTE?

I don't see what the guy's posting frequency has to do with him chiming in with an opinion (or almost fact, at this point) What does it matter that he hasn't posted in over a month? Maybe this blatant ripoff was just enough for him to say 'F#@K it, I gotta say something"

Given Salient's prior history and how creative they are, I'm sure they just magically came up with the design on their own.

Not an exact copy... there is a little sticker on the bottom of the Vibram's that have a much larger number.

Not an exact copy... there is a little sticker on the bottom of the Vibram's that have a much larger number.

My understanding is that there are molds available through the shoe manufacturers that the manufacturers owns. This means that any company that were to come to them to produce a product would have the ability to use this sole mold. My guess is that the proprietary portion of Vibram's angle is that their polymer mix is not allowed to be replicated by another company. Surely the Salient sole compound isn't the same as Vibram rubber.

So this potentially isn't a "rip off" of the Vibram sole. It might actually be the Vibram sole... in a different material. Whether or not this is a viable business move is up to the public but my guess is that there is little issue here legally. If there was, I'd image Vibram would have already put a kabosh on the whole project.

I understand that people are big proponents of Vibram bc they do have a disc line and their shoe soles are fantastic but I will say that this practice probably occurs in nearly every industry. I don't want to be confused with an apologist here because RDG plans to work with Salient. I'm just stating that this could be the potential scenario.

My understanding is that there are molds available through the shoe manufacturers that the manufacturers owns. This means that any company that were to come to them to produce a product would have the ability to use this sole mold. My guess is that the proprietary portion of Vibram's angle is that their polymer mix is not allowed to be replicated by another company. Surely the Salient sole compound isn't the same as Vibram rubber.

So this potentially isn't a "rip off" of the Vibram sole. It might actually be the Vibram sole... in a different material. Whether or not this is a viable business move is up to the public but my guess is that there is little issue here legally. If there was, I'd image Vibram would have already put a kabosh on the whole project.

I understand that people are big proponents of Vibram bc they do have a disc line and their shoe soles are fantastic but I will say that this practice probably occurs in nearly every industry. I don't want to be confused with an apologist here because RDG plans to work with Salient. I'm just stating that this could be the potential scenario.

This is all very possible. If Salient had zero other issues, it might even be plausible. But given the history, people are far more skeptical.

If I can give you one great piece of business advice, don't mix your business with Salient's.

Unfortunately, they already did.

If RDG was anything more than a hobby I would have had a much more calculated decision but I am confident that I will be able to design and produce some neat discs that I otherwise wouldn't be able to do. I hope that once we do start rolling out some molds with them that you guys will at least give them a consideration to chuck and enjoy :)

As always though guys I appreciate the support and advice. It means a know the DGCR has a vested interest in RDG.

If I can give you one great piece of business advice, don't mix your business with Salient's.

I think Jamie is fully capable of making business decisions that work for him, and between their two companies for mutual benefits.

Rather than always find a way to continually make jabs in every single post, thread, and mention of salient, why not just give an honest opinion of the actual product?

Personally, I'd look forward to see what Jamie and Scott/Chris could do together in their business model. Yes, I get "free stuff", but that free stuff comes at a much higher price than if I just bought it out right. I'm not an apologist, I'm a realist, and also try to give a down to earth review of every product any company would give me to test.

Seeing a company turn around, when I was also very wary of their start, is encouraging. Seeing Jamie tie in is great as well. I only wish them success, and to move on from the Rocky start. But, if certain individuals just like to continually sideline every single thread for their sole enjoyment of putting down others, that speaks more to their own personal character. Being in that same boat in the past, the horse I feel off was high enough to break my ego.

All the best, hope those that actually are here to read about the shoes read things relevant to the discussion, and yes the tread is relevant.

If RDG was anything more than a hobby I would have had a much more calculated decision but I am confident that I will be able to design and produce some neat discs that I otherwise wouldn't be able to do. I hope that once we do start rolling out some molds with them that you guys will at least give them a consideration to chuck and enjoy :)

As always though guys I appreciate the support and advice. It means a know the DGCR has a vested interest in RDG.

I'm interested in trying your products as soon as you split from Salient. Seriously, I am. Let me know if, and when that happens. Regardless, I wish you the best.

Last edited:
But, if certain individuals just like to continually sideline every single thread for their sole enjoyment of putting down others, that speaks more to their own personal character. Being in that same boat in the past, the horse I feel off was high enough to break my ego.

You do realize this was in response to Salients own "team" member flaming someone who was making a very valid observation, and asking the related question? This has been par for the course for Salient, hence the reaction.

I'm getting damn sick of arguing with you, but here you go:

1) I'm not a member of the Salient Team. They do have a team of sponsored players, and I am not one of them. The Salient Squad is, at best, a fan club. I like some of their products, and have chosen to support them. I don't need yours or B3NDER's permission to do so. I have written on here several times about how I used to hate Salient and how they changed my mind.

2) Half the posts in this thread have been about the tread pattern, and rightly so. For that poster to have seen the tread pattern, he would have had to go back through and seen the pictures. If you're going to do that, and it's such a big concern, why would you not go and read the thread? Myself and Tim the Enchanter called him out on that. That's not "flaming" that's observing an odd post.

I'm an *******. Always have been, and always will be. I got called out plenty of times when I was new to this site and did the same stupid things. This guy gets a pass because it's somewhat anti-Salient related?

That's all I'm saying on this. Move on or take it to PMs, please.

Andy, at some point you need to realize that the same people are going to make the same complaints in every Salient thread. It's easy to take the bait, but it's hard to stop fighting once you do. I know that all too well.

It might be best to just let them spew their bile and take the high road...

Andy, at some point you need to realize that the same people are going to make the same complaints in every Salient thread. It's easy to take the bait, but it's hard to stop fighting once you do. I know that all too well.

It might be best to just let them spew their bile and take the high road...

This is sage advice. Trying to refute them here might cause more harm than good.

Last edited:

Latest posts