• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Disc Shoes

Perhaps I can pick up where he left off? :rolleyes:

I keed, I keed. :p

There's one positive to this, it's ended the epic tbird/AndyJB forum wars LOL

Our last PM exchange did that. I really wanted to keep that correspondence going because you were wrong about me keeping quiet to my boss, but, like my advice here, I took the high road for the sake of my sanity.

Has anyone had the problem of the heels of the shoes wearing out on the inside. Mine have worn out pretty quick and it is getting hard to wear them anymore

Has anyone had the problem of the heels of the shoes wearing out on the inside. Mine have worn out pretty quick and it is getting hard to wear them anymore

Wow, can't say I have but that is a huge issue. Have you emailed Salient about it? Sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.

Don't see how it would be the inserts. It is way above them where it is wearing out.

yeah b/c the inserts sit your foot up higher. I had that same problem with a few different extra cusion Dr.S brand and quite using them unless the original wears out. If the heal is not secure into the bottom when tightened it rubs on the backing of the shoe. Ruined 3 pairs with inserts like that until I quit using them and bought shoes which fit/felt nice without.

I have been wearing mine nearly everyday and have had them before the shoes were released to the public and they look nothing like that. I have shoes which do but also know if you stomp your foot into a shoe and bend the back down it ruins the structural integrity quick.

That makes sense. I will say I have had the inserts in for almost the whole time. overall I have been very happy with the shoes. Will have to see if I can repair them somehow.

if you take the inserts out and notice the shoes being very loose in the back of your foot likely the shoes were not sitting right. I destroyed some nikes like that with Dr. S heel impact cushion which felt great except the heel part blew out like that but I kept wearing them which also put holes in the socks I wore :doh:

I am going to try and put the old soles in and see if they feel better. Thanks for the info

Well I've been rocking these for awhile now and have very few complaints. They are comfortable for my Flinstone feet (think long rectangles) which is actually pretty rare. The grip is great on the actual course. They were a little cleat-like on teepads, but you get used to it pretty quick. They aren't really wearing down at any point on the actual shoe, but I also only play a couple rounds a week.

My biggest gripe with mine, and I guess it's a small one in the grand scheme of thing, is that these things are dirt magnets. I have the black and greys and I cannot seem to keep these things clean. Dust, mud, grass...it all clings to it. I think it's the material the actual shoe is made of...like velcro for dirt. I've cleaned them a few times but now I'm too lazy.

All in all, they are holding up great for the price and I have no issues. If you have the money, by all means get some really nice boots from Keen or Vibram or what have you. But if you're on a budget and want a great shoe for discing, I highly recommend these.

On Salient's website, under the materials description, it states:

•full water repellant oxford outer
•waterproof/water resistant urethane coated inner oxford

I am curious as to what they mean by that. I made the mistake of thinking it would be waterproof similar to my Keen Delavegas. First puddle that I stepped in with the Salient shoe proved me wrong as my feet got wet instantly.

I wore them in the winter time and thawing spring without any problems. The shoes are not a solid one piece construction though so stepping a deep puddle would seem to be the problem. I stepped in many shallow ones to clean off the bottoms and never got wet. First time i did this I actually was shocked my feet were not getting wet.

Morning dew, wet ground etc have not been a problem at all in my experience with the shoes but once you reach a depth that is higher than average use for a hiking shoe then yes, you are going to have wet feet.

You can see this in the video review also where Tom walks into the deep puddle.

Category: DG Specific Shoe
Product: Salient DGX (1st Run)

(might need a little time to process)

Additional thoughts/info:
• Sizes generally range from 9.5 50 12, in half-sizes as well
• Full water repellant oxford outer
• Waterproof/water resistant urethane coated inner oxford
• Full lower napa leather outer for side blow out protection
• Synthetic polyurethane toe box for front toe protection
• Rubber torsion control sole for added stability on and off the fairway
• Stiff rear mid sole for added pivot stability
• Neutral arch support for easy foot conformity

Overall Grade: A-
Overall Value: A+
Closest Competitor, in style; Keen DeLaVega (if I had to make a choice, being DG specific)
Closest Competitor, in price range; Too many to list, but I could find none that were DG specific near the same price, and current in market.

Reasoning;

I really enjoyed my time testing this shoe. I really did climb trees, help demo/work light construction, wore them in for work, drove in them, casual uses, non-casual uses. Most of my shoe purchases come in the form of going into Sam's club and picking up whatever ~$35 summer shoe they have in stock. I could care less about buying ridiculously-expensive hiking shoes. There's something to be said about DGers who demand so much out of their shoes, yet also expect that dragging your toe against rough concrete is suitable for any shoes and should be compensated via warranty if the shoe "fails."
The tread in fabulous, I can't comment on that enough, but it's not so ridiculous that you'll find yourself catching the ground and falling over either. The only problem I had is when they were wet and I was walking on my tile floor in the kitchen that was a little slick.
Are there better shoes out there? Sure, absolutely. Are there better shoes out there for the price, and are DG specific? Not that I'm aware of, but feel free to list it. For under $100, it's a solid choice in the market.

Final Thoughts, and constructive criticism

1. The loops in the back were a little tight to get my fingers in them, it's not a big deal but worth noting.
2. The laces could be improved, they periodically came loose after a day or so of use, a trip to the local sporting goods store would solve this for a couple of bucks if it bothers you.
3. There's more space in the toe than I prefer. Coming from a soccer background, I like shoes a tad more fitting. That being said, I'd say the arch support was idea…nay darn near perfect. I have "average" feet.
4. My feet never "slipped out" once, and my heels were not rubbed raw from the back of the shoe either.
5. The insole could be better, it gets a little loose, if you usually buy an aftermarket insole, it could be smart to take it out altogether.
6. I didn't suffer "fatigue" in my feet like I usually do in other brands, but I would like to follow-up with this review about about 6-8 months of use.

Last edited:

Latest posts