• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Salient Discs "Reign" JohnE Sig Distance Driver

These bomb-- even being a little fast for me I still was able to put them out on some very long hyzer lines with NO turn and while its a 13 speed it truly does only have a 2 fade IMO and fairly unique for such a fast DD without a very hard fade.

The rim is big and when powered down the flight is significantly more overstable than at my max of 400'. GREAT forehand disc for my lackluster form but very straight and forward fade. It fights out of a anhyzer slower but doesn't stay turned over. I love the flat profile of the disc and its every bit a 13 speed IMO. I don't throw many over-hands but from my experience I can see this disc being useful for many different overhand shots due to not being SUPER overstable but plenty HSS.

JohnE-- your sig. disc is in my bag! Looking forward to seeing how this seasons up and if it holds the HSS while just getting longer or starts to become more understable in general. Compared to the backdraft I really prefer the profile and feel of this disc. If innova made a boss that didn't fade so hard this would be it really. Great combination of speed and stability for a true max distance driver which can be used as a go-to mold.

I gotta say, after tossing this today, it is nice to have. Thanks to aim for letting me test it out. It flies more reliably stable than my pro destroyer and has just a bit of turn. I could see myself hitting 450' with this regularly. My average max with my star destroyer is 415-440. Pro destroyer tops out at 450-460 on a perfect rip. Pro destroyers are touchy and need height. I can throw this pretty hard and just get that turn and fade flight that ends a little left. I will have some fun with it and see if I can get a vid up in the next week or two.

Glad to see you got to throw it some more after I left. Sounds very similar to the experience I had out at Elm Creek airing it out. Really curious how the disc seasons up so put it through some work!! :D A video of you bombing it would be nice as you definitely have the arm for it! Look forward to reading more of what you think of the disc'

Well, I got the opportunity to throw it a bit more today. My foray into speed 13 drivers really has no experience to draw on, but I am happy to say it definitely outdrives my destroyers on a lower line. I guess that is to be expected given the rim width but I was personally surprised. It's fast, very fast and I feel the flat nature of the disc contributes to this. I will have to throw it more, but I had my first ever genuine "putt" for deuce (which I missed) at kaposia today on hole 25. it's the one that goes over the path/valley after the spike hyzer hole. Good stuff. It definitely flies far.

Last edited:
I hit an ace in my local league finals today on a nice and flat 304ft hole with a reign today. I throw the hole on a low hyzer line hence the use of a fast disc on a short hole. I also had a nice drive of 400' into a headwind on a flat open hole. The Reign flipped up nice and glided right before flattening out and turning right on a nice forward fade.

well, definitely doesn't do the best in a stiff headwind, but it didn't turn and burn either. the plastic is much grippier than yikun's. yikun's was incredibly slick by comparison. can't help but feel i'd like this even more with the yikun dome i've seen on the da'e combined with the salient plastic.

Lol. The questions about country of origin are just Americans being, well Americans. Anytime that something that originated here starts being done overseas, especially in China of all places many Americans refuse to give it a chance and will tear said company down in anyway they can. All while using their Chinese made phones, tablets, and computers. Wearing Chinese made clothes and shoes and driving around in predominantly Chinese made vehicles. You see we Americans have taken hypocrisy to the absolute highest of levels.

I am glad to see Salient and Yikun working together. Hopefully the get more recognition as a team than they did separately. I know it has not always been easy for Salient on these here forums, but the past happenings seem to have cleared things up. I mean if JohnE, possibly the nicest, most laid back dude in disc golf is being sponsored by Salient, the company is doing something right. This new disc is a bit faster than I throw, but to support JohnE, I will probably buy one.

f CHINA...its a long way to drive for work..if more people baught american more products would be made in america and more americans would have jobs..i buy american every possible chance i get even if it means spending some extra dough..its suxthat there are products i have no choice in.

f CHINA...its a long way to drive for work..if more people baught american more products would be made in america and more americans would have jobs..i buy american every possible chance i get even if it means spending some extra dough..its suxthat there are products i have no choice in.

Gov, I agree. Unfortunately though, it doesn't matter how much we buy American, the jobs are still gonna go. Business owners are greedy. They want the cheapest labor possible, to pay the least possible for raw materials, to make their products as cheaply as possible. That way they can make the biggest profit.

Was it a Chinese postal worker who delivered it to your door after buying it on a Chinese website or was it more likely that an American company bought the disc, processed your order via an American employee and shipped it to you via an American delivery service? Why do you hate America?

John was throwing his for some long shots at the USDGC. On two shots that I can remember it turned just a bit more than he intended and landed OB by inches. John throws with so much power and speed, but if it's turning nicely like that these must bomb.

Do these feel like speed 13 discs? I mean, I have smaller hands and usually only stuff into the speed 10ish range. If they feel like speed 12 discs (think Force) I would be more than willing to check them out. Something like a Nuke feel would disqualify it though.

Yes the rim feels like a nuke. I however have small hands and use to throw nukes for D and have no problem throwing these either. They really do go pretty darn far.

Do these feel like speed 13 discs? I mean, I have smaller hands and usually only stuff into the speed 10ish range. If they feel like speed 12 discs (think Force) I would be more than willing to check them out. Something like a Nuke feel would disqualify it though.

okay so youre so concerned with what "speed" the disc is, which is innova nomenclature, which is already irrelevant to this thread, then you take it a step further and reference discraft stuff that doesnt use speed ratings!?!?

your post just went ob more times than this disc.

Come on bro. I love your trolling for the most part, but clearly he is referring to rim width, which pretty much directly correlates to disc speed...he is just mixing the two together. <.< also, aren't you supposed to be challenging natedg right about now? :p

how am i trolling when people are talking complete nonsense? if i saw someone driving the wrong way down a highway and i honked at them am i trolling?

Is it so hard to understand that most people equate rim width to speed? I mean I think the nomenclature sucks but don't bitch about it hear, start a worldwide campaign, print some shirts and koozies.....