• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Ember 8 month review

Phule77

Par Member
So, I got my bag in February, and I've been using it multiple rounds most weekends (though it's been too hot for a lot of play this summer) and just wanted to share some thoughts about the bag.

I haven't had a lot of other backpack bags to compare to, and I mainly went for the bag on the price point, and Scott poland's initial energy.

Much of the structure of the bag seems to depend on how the fabric of the bag was stitched together, but as time has gone on, this has resulted in the bag pulling in on itself more and more.

As a result, the back bar on the bottom of the bag, which is supposed to keep it stable and off the ground, has been pulled up and in, so that it points directly to the back of the bag, and is actually above the front bar. This means that if you're carrying any drinks and aren't on a hill, the bag is most likely going to tip backwards.

The hack for this has generally been to shove another disc behind the others in the main compartment, but that only works if the compartment is full of discs, and only early on. At 8 months, placing a disc back there has no effect because of how the bag itself has drawn in. At most, it works to keep you from being poked in the back as much.

Additionally, I purchased the digital cammo bag, and the white part of the cammo fades quickly to pink depending on how much sun it is exposed to.

I was actually willing to live with all of these things until the recent threats and vitriol came to light. It makes me feel dirty to carry the bag now, because of what the name has come to represent, and that makes me very sad, because Scott had brought me to expect a very different legacy. But I haven't seen much from him this year, so perhaps that passed as well.

I believe my next bag will be the upper park rebel. I like how it's top discs are vertically placed, which means less bending over and worrying that my discs are going to slide out of worn in pockets, and so far their service and Web presence has been excellent.

I'm sorry to hear another bad experience. It sucks to spend your hard earned money on something and it not preform as advertised. Hopefully these experiences will help keep others from the same let downs.

UPD has been the exact opposite, I've seen and heard nothing but positive claims. Enjoy the Rebel when you get around to it.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Please refrain from using the word "legacy" in a salient thread. :|

Salient has laid a foundation of **** they are forced to operate on. I hope you have better luck with Upper Park.

I am sorry i have not been around as much as I use to be. I am working around 50 to 70hrs a week so I am being spread a bit thin these days.

Many if not all of the concerns you have are being addressed on the next run of bags. These are the things we need to know about so we can improve on the future products.

I am sorry i have not been around as much as I use to be. I am working around 50 to 70hrs a week so I am being spread a bit thin these days.

Many if not all of the concerns you have are being addressed on the next run of bags. These are the things we need to know about so we can improve on the future products.

Says the company that kicks people off their FB page for asking about QC issues and claims. :clap:

What I have noticed about all of the negative posts that salient has responded badly to is that they are shrill, demanding, and offensive.

Buying a product doesn't give anybody the right to be an ass hat and expect to be treated as wonderful.

And I say this as somebody who worked in HP's desktop escalations department.

What I have noticed about all of the negative posts that salient has responded badly to is that they are shrill, demanding, and offensive.

Peoples attitudes and reactions should never be predicated on others behavior.

Buying a product doesn't give anybody the right to be an ass hat and expect to be treated as wonderful.

And I say this as somebody who worked in HP's desktop escalations department.

I can see where you are coming from and Honestly felt the same way. Then, I asked a very Polite, pointed question on their FB page about their Baskets. I was Instantly Banned from posting on their page and the Whole Thread I posted in was deleted. I was not notified, given a reason, OR, an answer to my question. If you cannot answer questions about your products, as a Business, you deserve the same respect you give your patrons, IMO.

I've been very happy with my Ember in the same time period.

Destroyed a Fade bag in half a year, but the Ember is doing good. I'm rough on bags.

I do know what your talking about with the back slouch, mine does this some, especially with 4 discs in the easy grab pocket, but I put a flat metal peice in and it stopped.

The all black hasn't faded noticeably.

Honestly this is the only place in social media I deal much in, and I have never heard any of the FB drama first hand.

Salient has helped me with product for 2 tournaments and been very easy to work with.

Their tournament packages are a very good deal as well.

I'm sorry so many people have had negative experiences, but I did want to voice that my experiences have been positive.

So, I got my bag in February, and I've been using it multiple rounds most weekends (though it's been too hot for a lot of play this summer) and just wanted to share some thoughts about the bag.

I haven't had a lot of other backpack bags to compare to, and I mainly went for the bag on the price point, and Scott poland's initial energy.

Much of the structure of the bag seems to depend on how the fabric of the bag was stitched together, but as time has gone on, this has resulted in the bag pulling in on itself more and more.

As a result, the back bar on the bottom of the bag, which is supposed to keep it stable and off the ground, has been pulled up and in, so that it points directly to the back of the bag, and is actually above the front bar. This means that if you're carrying any drinks and aren't on a hill, the bag is most likely going to tip backwards.

The hack for this has generally been to shove another disc behind the others in the main compartment, but that only works if the compartment is full of discs, and only early on. At 8 months, placing a disc back there has no effect because of how the bag itself has drawn in. At most, it works to keep you from being poked in the back as much.

Additionally, I purchased the digital cammo bag, and the white part of the cammo fades quickly to pink depending on how much sun it is exposed to.

I was actually willing to live with all of these things until the recent threats and vitriol came to light. It makes me feel dirty to carry the bag now, because of what the name has come to represent, and that makes me very sad, because Scott had brought me to expect a very different legacy. But I haven't seen much from him this year, so perhaps that passed as well.

I believe my next bag will be the upper park rebel. I like how it's top discs are vertically placed, which means less bending over and worrying that my discs are going to slide out of worn in pockets, and so far their service and Web presence has been excellent.

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review! :thmbup:

FWIW, if you're looking for a quality bag you should at least take a look at Gorilla Boy. The Silverbacks and Simians are amazing...and they withstand multiple years of *extreme* wear and tear usage.

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review! :thmbup:

FWIW, if you're looking for a quality bag you should at least take a look at Gorilla Boy. The Silverbacks and Simians are amazing...and they withstand multiple years of *extreme* wear and tear usage.
I second this, order your gorilla boy bag now so u can have it by 2018 lol
The GB are heavy duty bags though, probably one of the toughest i have seen.

Unfortunately, mine has done something similar. The rest of the bag has held up well so far but this makes it fairly uncomfortable to use as a backpack now. I really liked the design of the bag and the price was fair. Sadly though, I think I'll have to start shopping for a replacement soon.

I second this, order your gorilla boy bag now so u can have it by 2018 lol
The GB are heavy duty bags though, probably one of the toughest i have seen.

GB makes amazing bags.
I also cannot recommend Voodoo enough. They're more expensive than GB but you get them much faster. Kinda an even trade off.

How many runs of bags does it take to get it right..? you guys are beyond past the point where your bags should still be failing apart.

Define what you consider to be a decent bag

idk, not that $40 backpack I guess.

How long do we expect a grip or innova tournament bag or a ranger or whatever to last. I know there's a billion factors going into this equation, but I just have no idea how fast some of you go through bags.

My rangers lasted 3 years (over?) without any issues. Any issues. No tears, rips, stretches, deformities or anything to make it feel or look any different from the day I got it. Besides normal use. (But, I am extremely good with all my equipment too)

But Ogio knows how to make bags, they're a bag company after all.

I don't know anything about salient besides what I read here or what Moose says ;)

I try to tell it pretty honestly, they have had some epic fails (catalyst, antidote) but my Ember is in good shape. Can get Pics if anyone wants.