• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Same mold in different weights. Why?

Possible dumb question but as all the questions that find their way into my head, I have to ask. I noticed some people will have the same molds, in the same plastics, in different weights. Other than wind, what would be the reason(s) for having for example: 2 Lucid Truth. 170 & 179?

And genrally more weight gives more control and less weight gives you more distance.

Lighter disc are less stable
Eh, this is not really the case as often as you'd think. PLH and dome has a lot more to do with stability than weight does.
And generally more weight gives more control and less weight gives you more distance.
Yeah, this is more to do with it. You don't need as much arm speed to get lighter discs up to speed*, plus they hang in the air longer in tailwinds.

*also useful when you have limited range of motion, like throwing out of a thicket.

I'm sure people do it for many reasons. I've found that how a disc acts in the wind is the best reason to carry multiple weights. Heavier discs penetrate better into a headwind and lighter discs carry farther in a tailwind. I haven't found stability to be all that different in different weights unless the PLH is also different. Excluding the wind, I also find that what bobmcnelly said is true, but the difference isn't gigantic.

Most people go with heavier mids and putters and lighter drivers.
For me:
Putters: 175
Mids: 170 to 180
Drivers: 165 to 175
It just really depends what you want out of the disc.

In my drivers I generally have a "light" disc and a "heavy" for each mold. I tend to use the lighter disc for calm conditions and tailwinds. I use the heavy version for headwinds.

Latest posts