• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Sampo, a magical artifact

Oh god... Yeah. The VIP Sampos are a completely different beast...

Elasto: 10/5/.5/2.5
VIP: 10/5/-2/1.5

I picked up a max weight VIP when they came out and was all excited. The Challenge stamp was pretty "meh" so I was digging the production stamp... Then I started throwing it. Just not the same disc at all. I would have to assume they tweaked the mold after so much bad feedback from the Challenge saying it was too overstable.

It was too overstable for an event like the Trilogy Challenge. I barely used mine, because it didn't fit the course I was playing at all. Most people in my group felt the same. But if they tweaked it, they made a mistake, becuase now it is the only one of the 3 discs that I ever use.

Does anyone know if there is a plan to release these in Tournament plastic? I am on a little bit of a mold minimization kick right now and I would love to get some Tourney Sampos that I can season in to be more understable. Trying to beat up the VIPs just isn't really working for me...

So I went to my local Play it Again and found two used discs for $8 each. They felt really good in my hand and both here Trilogy Challenge Sampos and one had a really cool dye so I grabbed them both. I had no clue what the mold was or anything about them, just figured it was worth the $16. Well, a few months later I can say that the TC Sampo is one of the best fairway drivers ever made. It compliments my Thunderbirds very well and is my go to for that 320-380 foot shots. For me they are dead straight with just the right amount of fade. I can work them on little S shots and they don't get to glidey on me. I really love this disc.

I'm sad after reading this the production run is not as stable as the TC as I have no use for that. So, given it's been 5 or so months since someone posted here. Has there been a run of the TC type Sampos or do I have to dig deep into the internet to find them?

I'm sad after reading this the production run is not as stable as the TC as I have no use for that. So, given it's been 5 or so months since someone posted here. Has there been a run of the TC type Sampos or do I have to dig deep into the internet to find them?

Grab a shovel, cuz you're gonna need to start digging.

I know a few guys that throw those Elasto Sampos and they all know they are playing on borrowed time. They don't care because it's the best disc for them now. I feel the same way about the Elasto Hatchets that are supposedly going OOP. I bought a small stack of them because I can't find anything else that goes as far and as straight for me as a good max weight Elasto Hatchet.

So I went to my local Play it Again and found two used discs for $8 each. They felt really good in my hand and both here Trilogy Challenge Sampos and one had a really cool dye so I grabbed them both. I had no clue what the mold was or anything about them, just figured it was worth the $16. Well, a few months later I can say that the TC Sampo is one of the best fairway drivers ever made. It compliments my Thunderbirds very well and is my go to for that 320-380 foot shots. For me they are dead straight with just the right amount of fade. I can work them on little S shots and they don't get to glidey on me. I really love this disc.

There's a 166 Red (elasto) gently used Sampo at my local PIAS. If you want, I can snag it for you.

Is it from a Trilogy challenge? It was my understanding those runs are the stable ones.

And THANK YOU

Last edited:
I still have my TC Sampo, and found another un-inked one in a lake, and so have two as well. I've been using it for a couple of local holes where it just shines. If and when I lose them, because one of the holes is by water, I will be sad. However, tried an C-Line FD-3 today for the first time, and it could slot in there, as could a Thunderbird I suppose. Still, that elasto grip is nice on evenings like this in the low 30s.

Maybe now that Westside is under new management they can rectify that and run some production elasto Sampos.

I think I have a few elastos left. I'll dig through my stack when I get home next month and let anyone interested know.

Just an FYI for others who, like me, loved the Elasto Sampo but were disappointed by the VIP Production run.

From the Reddit Westside/Trilogy Buyout thread:
u/DGweekly does this mean more active Westside promo/distro in the States? Like runs of the Elasto Sampos from the TC a couple years back? These are some of my favorite discs. Like a PD in that beautiful trilogy plastic. I'd be sooooo happy to see a production run that flew like those beauties. :D

DGweekly2 points11 days ago
As far as I'm aware, that's the plan!
As far as a PD in our plastics, check out the Fortress. For me it was pretty much a 1:1 replacement.

Can't believe it's been a year. My buddy randomly hit me up cause he knows how much I love my Trilogy Challenge Elasto Sampos and found some guy selling 2 brand new 174g/173g for $25 shipped on FB. Just got them a couple days ago and they are beauties. I now have 4. That is all

Can't believe it's been a year. My buddy randomly hit me up cause he knows how much I love my Trilogy Challenge Elasto Sampos and found some guy selling 2 brand new 174g/173g for $25 shipped on FB. Just got them a couple days ago and they are beauties. I now have 4. That is all

I have one and really like it but don't know if I'll keep it due to scarcity. Let me know if you need a fifth one day.

I've got like 3 of them too that can be had fairly easily. I've never thrown them much just b/c the elastos are OOP and I don't wan to get attached.

Got one hanging on my wall. Don't know why.

It is worth something but pale in comparison compared to the 2016 nybo bird, and 17 braithwe destroyer it sits between.

Latest posts