• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Samuel Grand & Lawnview, Dallas TX

giles

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
-The TX state coordinator posted this on my clubs thread on the pdga board .-

Just want to start getting the word out. Dallas parks is in the final steps of approving several new parks for course development, but it looks like they will not be providing any funding. It looks like players will have to come up with funding for these courses. We (Lone Star Disc Golf Alliance, Dallas Disc Golf, Dallas Area Disc Golf, and Titledisc) are putting on four events this summer to raise funds for new course installations. The first will be June 20 (Saturday before Father's day) at Samuel Grand Park.

http://www.lsdga.com/maps/samuelgrand.html
or
http://www.lsdga.com/maps/samuelgrandl.html

The second will be July 12th at Lawnview Park

http://www.lsdga.com/maps/lawnview.html
or
http://www.lsdga.com/maps/lawnviewl.html

The Events will be PDGA C-Tier charity endowment events.

Dallas Area Disc Golf is a federally registered 501c3 Charity dedicated to the installation of new courses in the greater Dallas area and will be the charity for the events.

I assume Samuel Grand and Lawnview are two of the parks being approved for development? or is there a longer list? I'd love to know what parks will eventually be getting disc golf... I remember talk of Flagpole Hill and/or White Rock Park back in the day. Both of those would be cool courses.

Samuel Grand is where they have the big amphitheater, right? Shakespeare in the Park and whatnot? From what I recall, that has some great land for disc golf... potentially high vandalism, too, though...

Lawnview I don't think I've ever been too... Google maps doesn't make it look like it is quite as natural a fit for disc golf. Too much open space. Better than nothing, I suppose, but it looks like a bunch of open space and TX hyzers...

any idea of total distance on either proposed layout?

If you look at the maps linked the distances for each hole will show when you put the cursor over the tee.

I've never been to either park. So I don't know much about them. Lawnview does look aptly named. Nothing but a view of a big lawn. I may play the fundraiser events but aside from that Lawnview isn't a park I would visit.

Flagpole, I don't know how up to date he keeps his site but... From what I can tell Flagpole Flats is approved for a course with a Temp course designed at Flagpole Hill for tournaments.

White Rock lake.. Winfred point (part of White Rock Lake Park?) appears to have a 9 hole that is expandable to 18 planned with another temp 18 at White Rock. NuBuck is also proposed and is near White Rock.

That info is between 1 and 2 years old so I can't say how good that info is.
http://lsdga.com/txnews.php

So as far a complete list of what Dallas has approved I have no idea. The link will take you to what has been proposed in the last two years.

Last edited:
Gotcha. It looks like 6410' for Samuel Grand and 7012' for Lawnview. That's enough to potentially be some decent golf. Lawnview could be okay, depending on what those trees actually look like from the ground. If they are big enough to kill the sky hyzers, then it might be an alright course. It looks like the proposed map incorporates some sort of trees into almost every shot. If there are enough OBs and maybe some elevation changes that I can't see from the aerial photos, it could be a decent course. At least a fun place to practice drivers if they keep it mowed... and maybe some buncr areas or other obstacles... and some small trees planted that will grow up and improve the course over time. amazing how much some small trees in all the right places can change a hole.

Exciting to look at that LSDGA site... obviously not updated in a while, since Towne Lake in McKinney is listed as a proposed/approved course, but doesn't have a name... since the course has been finished and opened for months. But it's still exciting to see Dallas disc golf continuing to grow. Just wish it had been that robust when I lived there.

"The parks under serious consideration at the moment are Flagpole Flats, Norbuk (across the road from flagpole hill behind the baseball diamonds), and Samuell Grand."

What happened to the site? I sent an email to the link posted there and it was returned. Is this event still happening?

Try calling the TD. His phone # is on the link above. I can't play it anyway but if I was closer to the metroplex I'd probably check it out.

I talked to Gary Duke the other day, he said Sam Grande has gotten all the city approval and they will start installing it in the fall. The summer series of charity tourneys is over and I think they raised over 5k, they just want to have enough for all the baskets. The cool thing is that course doesnt need any work. just plant the baskets and mark the teepads and its ready to go.

I think you can be a lifetime hole sponsor for $500 if you happen to be loaded. Remember the donation is tax exempt and all, its a 501c3 org. I cant wait, that course is really cool.....

Anything new on Samuel Grand? ETA on installation? I didn't get a chance to play it when the charity events were held, but I heard only good things and I'm looking forward to another course within Dallas city limits.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone have any updated info on this course? I'll be stuck in Downtown Dallas next week and this is the closest course to where my rideless self will be.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone have any updated info on this course? I'll be stuck in Downtown Dallas next week and this is the closest course to where my rideless self will be.

no news yet. I saw a guy that lives by the course over the weekend and he didn't say anything about it.

Can you play an object course on the property or is it closed completely to the public?