• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

San Francisco Courses

BmaEngnr92

I'm taking an extended weekend trip out to San Francisco later this month and am looking for a course to play while on the visit. I'll only have time to play one course, so of all the courses in the area, which one should I choose? Locals....any advice? Thanks....

if youre willing to travel a couple hours, than delaveaga outside of santa cruz is the only way to go. Id say its a must play for any disc golfer who gets the opportunity

Having lived out there (Berkeley/Oakland), Santa Cruz is a must in many ways. I remember seeing a few courses you could hit from taking that trip down south. Santa Cruz, Felton, and Aptos have courses I believe. The one in Berkeley on the bay...eh.

You really would think there would be a ton of great East Bay courses considering the hippie population and terrain, but nope.

I'm taking an extended weekend trip out to San Francisco later this month and am looking for a course to play while on the visit. I'll only have time to play one course, so of all the courses in the area, which one should I choose? Locals....any advice? Thanks....

I haven't been out there since 2003, but... if I was in SF and had just a couple hours, I'd play Golden Gate Park, because I've never played the course but it's, obviously, a great park. If I had a half day, I'd play Golden Gate still, because it's on my wish list, but I'd recommend you play Stafford Lake, because it's such a challenging and fun course, and beautiful too. But if I were going from SF to Monterey and could work it in at all, I'd play DeLaveaga. You can sort through the reviews, but I do believe it really is that cool. Not to be missed if you can help it.

I lived in Los Gatos which is on the other side of Highway 17 towards santa cruz for 20 years and recommend De Laveaga and Golden Gate. If you have time there are two courses at CSUMB in Monterey and two great nine hole duel tee pad courses in San Jose. Your oprtions are endless but for sure de la before any other than S.F. Good luck. It will be truely amazing!!!

Like everyone else said... De Laveaga, Golden Gate, or Stafford Lake. Also, like they said... if going from SF to Monterey, then you have to go to De Laveaga. However, if that is not a possibility then Golden Gate might be best. This is because at Golden Gate you will definately have people to guide you or at the very least to follow. Whereas at Stafford Lake you could be alone, and without a guide at Stafford it might be hard to even locate hole #1's tee-pad.
With all that said... Stafford Lake is my favorite. It is definately a championship style course with phenomenal scenery - flocks of canadian geese and wild turkeys, rolling golden hills studded with oak trees, overlooking Stafford Lake - it's hard to beat.
DSCJNKY

Last edited:
I'm gonna throw in my vote for Stafford Lake. It's kind've a tough decision really. Stafford, in addition to being really challenging and fun, is simply beautiful, absolutely gorgeous really. DeLaveaga is 27 challenging holes which kind've gives it an edge but while it's very nice it's not as awe inspiring as Stafford and challenging in a more technical way.

I play at Golden Gate Park and DeLaveaga regularly. Golden Gate being my home course, I absolutely love it, but if I could only play one in the area, it would be Stafford or DeLa.

Latest posts