• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sandbagging

timj5304

Double Eagle Member
Today was my first official tourney after giving some leagues a try from time to time I figured it was time. Well I decided to play intermediate level of a tourney a couple hours from my house and was shocked to say the least of how crazy of scores these guys were that considered themselves intermediate. Overall of local tourney scores I saw on pdga.com, my scores compared to middle of the pack advanced guys. The top intermediate guys were right there with the top advanced level guys and beat probably 5 of the 10 guys playing open. I am just wondering is this a common practice around the US?

Today was my first official tourney after giving some leagues a try from time to time I figured it was time. Well I decided to play intermediate level of a tourney a couple hours from my house and was shocked to say the least of how crazy of scores these guys were that considered themselves intermediate. Overall of local tourney scores I saw on pdga.com, my scores compared to middle of the pack advanced guys. The top intermediate guys were right there with the top advanced level guys and beat probably 5 of the 10 guys playing open. I am just wondering is this a common practice around the US?

I saw a video where a guy said when he won in a league is when he moved up. I don't know if that is common practice or not. If so, I can see a pile up of good players in intermediate.

I've played in one tournament (last winter). I tied for 3rd. I suppose I was sandbagging, but I had no idea what level to play in when I registered. By reading online, I'm one of the worst players in the US. You never know.

When i see a "bagger" at a tourney, its usually a local with no pdga number. If you dont have a pdga number you can play in whatever division you want. Those guys usually play in the division they think they can win the easiest.
Its a little harder to "bag" when you have a pdga number because your rating should dictate your division.

Its gonna happen til they change the system or ppl start being more honest......which will never happen.
Only solution is to play open. "bagger" is not an issue in open. So keep practicing so u dont have to deal with the B.S.

IMHO the issue is that the rating system/ division break down has a major issue. A 920 rated player is a huge jump from a 901 in game and consistent scoring. Now think about the fact that a 934 rated player is still in the same grouping and allowed to play Int.

Rec is the true int now that its all the way up to 899, Int is more of adv 2 and advanced is adv 1.

But avg players have great rounds/tourneys and that is usually what ends up winning Int divisions and leads to a lot of peoples gripes of sand bagging.

The truest definition of the term Sandbagger- Everyone that beats you in a division...

Dont look at it as they sandbagged, you played the same course in the same conditions and they had a great or extraordinary round.

It should not be easy to win a tourney in any division. You should feel like you played the best you have ever played if you win. If the winner does not feel that way, thats how you know its sandbagging. Or every one just really played like ****... Just my sandbagging 2 cents.

I play a lot of tournaments throughout my state, and I have noticed that the top Intermediates can, and often do beat some of the Adv. Open. With ratings going up as high as they are for Int., it's no wonder. IMHO Intermediate should be 910 Max. Any higher should play Open. But a lot of the leaders in this area are "locals" to that course/area. It used to be <years back> that Adv. Open was THE largest field, now it is Intermediate, in fact the last tournament at my home course there were just 3 Adv. Open, with more in Grandmaster than open. From what I notice, the top Int. players have a good game, just not a complete game. They may have distance, and/or good putting, but they lack in accuracy, or upshots, or having wisdom in getting out of a bad lie. Most of them do move on up after getting confidence, or after a few wins. My advice to players who play their first tournaments, play the lowest division offered, get the "feel" of how it is played, if you win your first, fine, move up the next time. If you don't, look how your score compares to the other divisions, and you know where you stand. Also, you can see what areas you lack when playing against others, were they putting better, were they driving more accurate....so on, and you can practice that aspect of your game.

i sandbag all the time. i don't have a pdga rating. want to cry about it? you can dry your tears with all the trophies and awesome swag i've one from playing int

A local ball golf club figured out a way to totally prevent sandbagging, and that was to have 2 round tourneys, and not set the divisions until after the first round. They tried to keep the groups as close as possible. Sure, some complained that they were shooting their highest potential, and ended on the bottom of the upper tier, but if you shot low, you were grouped with people who shot low.

Yes, people were conscious, and did try to shoot 'middle of the pack', but usually, once you start playing, the competitive juices start, and you do not want to give away any strokes.

at the tourney i played the guy who won intermediate won by 9 strokes. he would of finished tied for third in advanced and tied for second in open.

when people call you a bagger, it means they are upset because they couldn't perform as well as you did on tournament day

I saw a video where a guy said when he won in a league is when he moved up. I don't know if that is common practice or not. If so, I can see a pile up of good players in intermediate.

This is my MO. I still play rec - have finished 2nd but have never won. I figure if I can't win at Rec, why should I move up? My rating is 848. I am capable of a 950 round from time to time, but am not consistent. Have yet to have one of those good rounds on a tournament day.

As far as Advanced - it's the highest division possible for Ams. If someone wants to be classified as an Am and not a Pro, they can go no higher. Stands to reason there will be some Advanced players who are better than the pros. There's nothing wrong with a person wanting to retain Amateur status.

Thanks for all the input guys. Did I want to win, Of course I did but knew it was not a local course, only one I played one time ever. I might have forgot to say that the guys on the lead card were the same ones that are always on the lead card and tend to really dominate, leading by several strokes over the common folk. This was not a round of these guys life, they are 930ish rated guys who are not intermediate level guys.

I just do not see guys who park 425+ shots and nail multiple 40 ft+ putts as intermediate.

When i see a "bagger" at a tourney, its usually a local with no pdga number. If you dont have a pdga number you can play in whatever division you want. Those guys usually play in the division they think they can win the easiest.
Its a little harder to "bag" when you have a pdga number because your rating should dictate your division.

Its gonna happen til they change the system or ppl start being more honest......which will never happen.
Only solution is to play open. "bagger" is not an issue in open. So keep practicing so u dont have to deal with the B.S.

TD's can require a player with no pDGA membership # to play in whichever division the TD sees fit.

what's wrong with sandbagging? these folks look like they're helping humanity in someway.

Sandbagging.jpg

I'll bet I could make a lot of $$$ on here selling fake IDs to guys in their 30s so they can play in the <16 division...

TD's can require a player with no pDGA membership # to play in whichever division the TD sees fit.

Yeah, it was my first tournament and I was "assigned" a division. I didn't know enough to object in any way. Ended up giving the disc away that I "won".

I just started playing tournaments this summer so I don't mind sand bagging because I don't expect to win. I did find it funny that the first bring your own partner doubles tournament I played in the top 5 intermediate teams beat everyone in the advanced division.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest thing I see happening is that people start a season in one division and make large improvements, but don't feel comfortable jumping divisions till the next year.

The only guy I really get on is one of our locals that always carries a top 10 bag tag but always plays intermediate and brags about how he's cashed in every tournament he's ever played. His excuse is he's never beat our top guy so he doesn't belong in that level. But our top guy is an ex pro.

well PDGA is just stupid then.

the rating is kinda funny anyhow since everyone on the net can throw 400 and never posts their rating.

they should have levels and once you win you have to move up. no if, and, or buts.

rec, int, am, adv am, pro.

u win in your age protect BS u move on to the non age am...for one year.

i don't play since i know i would bag the life out of tourneys and piss everyone off. it would be so easy to bag! also for bring your own doubles partner you could bring a friend who was 1000 rated and play int if he isn't current right?

man i should start bagging some tourneys.

Latest posts