• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sarasota in a week!!!

Flyguy46

Par Member
Premium Member
Hello all,

I am arriving in Sarasota on March 11th for a week of Spring break with my little ones and wife. My son will be celebrating his 8th birthday and loves to play disc golf.He wants to try some courses in the Sarasota area while visiting his grandparents. (OK, no I want to explore some courses and he will join.) Anyway, I would love some suggestions or guides for some courses in the area.

I look forward to playing and maybe hanging out with a few of you.

North Water Tower and Lakeview are two of the better courses in the general Sarasota area (I've never played them myself, just going off what others have said).

Preserve in Port Charlotte is also fairly solid, but it's a bit further of a drive. I'm going to the Gulf Coast one day that week, but I'm probably not going any further north than Port Charlotte (already the better part of 3 hours from Ft Lauderdale).

Payne Park downtown would be a nice alternative for some casual family rounds.

Lake View is scenic and a lot easier than Watertower. Playing from the shorts minimizes the water hazards, but they are still there.

North Water Tower and Lakeview are two of the better courses in the general Sarasota area (I've never played them myself, just going off what others have said).

Preserve in Port Charlotte is also fairly solid, but it's a bit further of a drive. I'm going to the Gulf Coast one day that week, but I'm probably not going any further north than Port Charlotte (already the better part of 3 hours from Ft Lauderdale).

North Watertower and Lakeview were two courses my son and I had taken a look at. Will talk to the family about Port Charlotte.

Lake View is scenic and a lot easier than Watertower. Playing from the shorts minimizes the water hazards, but they are still there.

Thanks dude, I am going to look into all the courses you suggested. I am pretty stoked to see what they have to offer. My son is really excited to try one or two courses. I think Lake View got his interest when we were looking at pictures. Thanks for the suggestions.

If all you can bring is a putter or a lid, play all three tees at Sun-n-Fun. 9 holes MIGHT take you all of 30 minutes :|

I only played because that's where my parents snowbird

I will be in Port Charlotte on the 17th. Going to be early, though, as I am trying to hit three courses, not to mention three hours drive before my first round. Preserve, South County (Punta Gorda) and Estero as I work my way back down I-75.

I will be in Port Charlotte on the 17th. Going to be early, though, as I am trying to hit three courses, not to mention three hours drive before my first round. Preserve, South County (Punta Gorda) and Estero as I work my way back down I-75.

Sadly, we leave the ass Crack of dawn that day. I will be back though.

Played Payne Park yesterday. Not one of my more spectacular 18 holes, but for the first time on this course I really couldn't complain. I did learn that my discs behave differently here than they don't Denver. Straight flight eludes me in Denver but apparently not in Florida, well for most throws anyway. Going to try and get out this morning for a round on a different course. Not sure which one to look for but either North Watertower or Tom Bennett Disc Golf Course.

I did get the opportunity to play the SunCoast Golf Center Course while in Sarasota. I will say it was an interesting course, not my favorite but maybe one to explore again sometime. The baskets did follow the 9 holes of ball golf. Pads were way to small for my liking. I also felt that the pins were missing quality maps. If I had not had UDisc I would totally have missed about 5 of the holes. Luckily I had a couple playing ball golf behind me who were familiar with the layout of the course. Good experience, but not likely to repeat this course.

Latest posts