• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Save the Eternal Flame

I'll look for the link. Basically what is being said is that there will be significant ecological damage to a unique area of local woods. This area is neither environmentally sensitive nor is it unique to the area. It is also being alluded to that the course was somehow built without proper authority and that is completely false. What is true is that the person in question who touts himself falsely as environmental expert and he objects to an increased use of the park near his property. And the word near should be taken quite loosely.

That's part of it. The most significant thing written was on the local NRDG board. There is a long back and forth discourse between the originator of the petition to close the course and the designers of the course. Seems like a pompous S.O.B. with nothing better to do wants to rain on the parade of the local disc golf community.

wow, the comments from some of the anti-disc golf people are ridiculous. i hope the disc golfers win.

weneedtopreserv-8709-001.jpg

i think that's steve, he does look like a popped collar snob.

i found his FB page, his picture is of him hiking. apparently walking on terrain during hiking doesn't hurt the land but walking on terrain during disc golf does.

Last edited:
Environmental Science is my major.. And let me tell you. Nothing annoys me more than tree hugging hippies.

One of the idiots on there posted a link to a 'lost plastic' thread at a forum saying "look, these guys just leave their plastic and garbage out there, that stuff's bad!!". I mean.. Really? If these guys love the area so much they should just go kill themselves out there and fertilize the forest.

Environmental Science is my major.. And let me tell you. Nothing annoys me more than tree hugging hippies.

One of the idiots on there posted a link to a 'lost plastic' thread at a forum saying "look, these guys just leave their plastic and garbage out there, that stuff's bad!!". I mean.. Really? If these guys love the area so much they should just go kill themselves out there and fertilize the forest.

That was a hilarious comment. i also read it.

Does he really think Golfers just leave 10-30$ Discs on the ground? Does he really think ANOTHER golfer would see a Disc and leave it on the ground?

Is this guy expecting some sort of Disc Apocalypse where we will be bushwhacking through 4 feet of lost discs? :doh:

As one of the Two course designers and project managers I can tell you much care went into this design. This location was suggested by the Parks Commissioner and the layout was approved by him as well. This course will be one people from far away will come play. This course is something special. Please sign the petition to help us make our case.

Thanks

Chad Adams

In Opposition

I am one of those who supports disc golf played on courses like the one at Beaver Island and the one in the open area of Chestnut Ridge. I only oppose the location of a course in the area near the eternal flame. I am not asking that the second Chestnut Ridge course be eliminated; rather, I ask that it be moved to some of the hundreds of acres of open grassland in the park.

My personal reasons for opposing the course relate to the character of the eternal flame area. The opportunities for erosion and destruction of undergrowth are evident. But there is another reason that might be more acceptable to you. One of the great things about disc golf is that it can be played in all seasons and in almost all weather conditions. The current Eternal Flame Course would necessarily have to be closed during most seasons. Right now, for example, it is almost impossible to climb the slippery hills and under wet conditions you would have to wear boots. If the park administration did not close the course, they would be open to lawsuits under the "creation of attractive hazards" laws that are so attractive to attorneys.

I would suggest that you visit the course as I have twice this week to see these conditions, but I would not want to see anyone injured. Even walking with ski poles I had a difficult time managing the trail.

More power to those of you who are taking to this new sport, but please consider the problems related to the location of this one.

I'm sorry, but you are doing a poor job defending your point.

Many courses require appropriate footwear to navigate. I imagine that transition paths and slopes will be addressed as the course matures with gravel and steps where required.

It sounds like all the proper channels had been previously addressed. If this is the case, I am still confused as to your strong opposition.

Leave us to our course

I started disc golfing when I was fifteen and it's great to be able to get fresh air, see the beautiful scenery of chestnut ridge, and compete with friends that I don't get to see a lot because of work schedules. When I heard that another course was under construction, I was ecstatic.

I see some of the points of the people against the course, but you can't oppose the course because of litter and foot paths destroying the ground. A few bad apples spoiling littering don't represent the rest of us. We golfers just want to play our sport and share the park just like everyone else. If it makes you feel better I promise to hit less trees this year than ever before.

i have only gone to see the course once before any baskets were in place back in November i think. although i could see where there might be some congestion because there are a lot of runners on the eternal flame path i was also think of the "hazards" that a disc golf course would cause. in the end i feel like if the course is closed because disc golf is a "hazard" then can i send a letter and sign a petition that i want no horses on the trail either as i have had to watch out for basketball sized piles of feces when i walk to the eternal flame from inside the actual park (not just the short path down the back of the waterfall). i guess where im going with this is if congestion and wear and tear on the hiking trail is a worry then where should the limits stop?

Bogey Member

In Opposition
I am one of those who supports disc golf played on courses like the one at Beaver Island and the one in the open area of Chestnut Ridge. I only oppose the location of a course in the area near the eternal flame. I am not asking that the second Chestnut Ridge course be eliminated; rather, I ask that it be moved to some of the hundreds of acres of open grassland in the park.

There is no open course at Chestnut Ridge, it is a heavily wooded course

Erie County officially killed the course this week. Still waiting for details (admittedly I'm not involved in the construction of the course), but a very sad day for the Western New York disc golf community.