• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Save the Eternal Flame

time to relocate the second course ...

There is no open course at Chestnut Ridge, it is a heavily wooded course

By open I believe that Gerry means closer to the developed areas of the park (ie. near shelters, roads, ...) The Eternal Flame area has long been a part of Chestnut Ridge Park called the Shale Creek preserve, which is a small section of the 1200+ acre park (about 100 acres by my estimation), which has long been set aside to be preserved and conserved for nature with no development other than hiking paths.

I think that the past parks commissioner made the mistake of only proposing that part of the park to the NRDG to install the course and not following the proper procedures before approving it. This was during a period of time while Erie County had a County Executive who tried to run the county as his own little private serfdom. The County Exec only lasted 4 years in office and was unceremoniously tossed from office after his 4 year term, losing his re-election campaign quite handily, as the electorate grew tired of him forcing his policies down our collective throats.

The opposition to this course has very reasonable reasons and arguments to oppose the location of this course. It is not opposed to the idea of another course in Chestnut Ridge Park, they are just opposed to where this course was installed. If you are familiar with the park, you would know that there hundreds of other acres of parkland that could be used to install a course as sufficiently "world class" as the Shale Creek preserve area, yet would still be near park shelters, roads and in the developed part of the park.

I liken this to a person building in a house that is not zoned for homes and then expecting the building inspector to issue a CO (certificate of Occupancy) because the house is completed. Sorry ... the building inspector is going to make you take it down and locate the home in an area zoned for homes.

According to the Adirondack Mountain Club - Niagara Frontier Chapter - "We are opening a dialogue with the developers of the disc course in an attempt to resolve this situation, and are hopeful that Erie County, the disc course group, ADK, and all other local environmental groups can work in unison to reach a favorable conclusion to this sad tale. Our objective is to permanently halt the construction of the disc course in that location, assist the developers in finding a more appropriate site in the park, work to repair the damage, and restore the forest in the Shale Creek - Eternal Flame Falls area. Meanwhile, your opinions are welcome and appreciated." [emphasis mine] The ADK-NFC has helped maintain hundreds of miles of trails in Western New York for decades, including the trails in Shale Creek Preserve area. The were not informed of the Eternal Flame course being installed, but they are being included in the conversation in how to correct the issue so that all parties are satisfied.

Hopefully, a new course will be developed in another area of the park that is more appropriate and has the world class features that only Chestnut Ridge park can provided. And, yes, I am a disc golfer but I do understand the oppositions side on this issue and I agree with them.

Latest posts