• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Saying hi, and looking for general advice

OnlyZuul

Hey, all. It's cool to find such an active DG community online. Seems like a great resource.

Last month my brother took me out for my first round and I was hooked. There haven't been as many outings as I would like. I hope to get out more often soon, but work life gets in the way. Gotta pay the bills, right?

I bought a Lat64 Diamond (Retro) and Pure (Zero Medium) as a starter set. Then I saw an inked Crystal FLX Sparkle Buzzz that I just couldn't pass on ... I'm a sucker for eye candy. I know the Buzzz is a very popular mid, so I figured that was a safe addition even though I paid a bit of a premium.

I'm not far enough along to "need" any other disks unless something gets lost. I'd like to add some more so I can get more field practice, though. It would also be nice to have enough in my bag to let friends without their own disks give the game a try. So what should I keep an eye out for? The local options seem to include Innova, Innova or Innova. I'm happy to order as long as shipping is reasonable.

On a loosely related note.... I only plan to buy premium plastic from here on out. Not because my ultra-superior skills can tell a difference, mind you. I would like give inking a try, though, so I might as well have disks to practice on.

Starting out....I would suggest you stick with Innova for now. My reason? You can go to the store and handle them. A big part of disc choice (at least for me) is feel. Is the disc rim too deep? Is the rim too wide? Beaded/No Bead....how does it feel in my grip? Plastic types....too grippy, too slick?

Then once you get an idea of what kind of discs you like 'feel-wise', then you will be better able to order online.

One thing about premium plastic is that it can be slick in wet weather or if you are sweating. I carry a couple of basic plastic discs that I can count on in bad weather.

Hey, all. It's cool to find such an active DG community online. Seems like a great resource.

Last month my brother took me out for my first round and I was hooked. There haven't been as many outings as I would like. I hope to get out more often soon, but work life gets in the way. Gotta pay the bills, right?

I bought a Lat64 Diamond (Retro) and Pure (Zero Medium) as a starter set. Then I saw an inked Crystal FLX Sparkle Buzzz that I just couldn't pass on ... I'm a sucker for eye candy. I know the Buzzz is a very popular mid, so I figured that was a safe addition even though I paid a bit of a premium.

I'm not far enough along to "need" any other disks unless something gets lost. I'd like to add some more so I can get more field practice, though. It would also be nice to have enough in my bag to let friends without their own disks give the game a try. So what should I keep an eye out for? The local options seem to include Innova, Innova or Innova. I'm happy to order as long as shipping is reasonable.

On a loosely related note.... I only plan to buy premium plastic from here on out. Not because my ultra-superior skills can tell a difference, mind you. I would like give inking a try, though, so I might as well have disks to practice on.

Yea, i agree with Bill. You might as well just stick with Innova for now especially for discs you might be loaning out. They are easily replaced most of the time.

As far as drivers go, the Innova Valkyrie is a great driver for beginners to play with. A fairly neutral flying disc that is pretty forgiving for new players.

Others from them include teebirds, Leopards, Eagles, Roadrunners and Sidewinders.

If you need something more overstable for someone that tries to learn with sidearm throws, Thunderbirds, Orcs and Wraiths would be decent choices

If you want more discs for field practice, targeting base plastic putters is perhaps the best route to go. The basics of the the throw don't change between the types of discs, and putters are generally more neutral in flight, so you can get more reps and learn a ton just throwing a stack of putters.

If you have a local Play It Again Sports, you might even be able to find used putters. You could buy something like these Factory Second DX Aviars at $6 a piece, but I would only get them if they start having weights in the 160g+ range. Currently they only have them in the 140g range, which is mot likely too light. Otherwise you are probably looking at $10 to &12 for base plastic putter at retail prices. You used to be able to buy putter packs at bulk prices from Dynamic Discs specifically for getting a lot of practice reps, but current production shortages seem to have those out of stock.

Putters are the easiest discs for someone who has never played to throw, so it gives you inexpensive discs to loan to friends as well.