• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

scale

I picked up a Royal eX-3 postage scale at Wal-Mart many years ago. It weighs in both lb/oz and grams up to 3 lbs. Despite the reasonably poor Amazon reviews I've always treated mine gently and it has never given me any problems.

Most of the time it shows 1g less than what's marked on Innova discs. But it gives me a consistent baseline for all my discs. And occasionally you do run across some discs that are mismarked by up to 5-6 grams.

ERic

We have a cooking scale that does both grams and ounces. It weighs discs accurately, PLUS it's very handy to have in the kitchen!

It's ironic that golf discs are weighed in grams.

Although it would be kind funny if you asked your buddy, "Hey what weight is that Boss you are throwing?" and he says, "Its 0.383604 lb"

"Oh well thats cool. Im not so sure I like my 0.370376 lb Boss as much as yours."

Why don't they make discs in the 150 to 160 gr. range . It seems like many come in weights upwards from from 160 up to 175 gr. And they have a few in the very low weights, like 150 gr. Why not the in between? Is there not a market for them?

Why don't they make discs in the 150 to 160 gr. range . It seems like many come in weights upwards from from 160 up to 175 gr. And they have a few in the very low weights, like 150 gr. Why not the in between? Is there not a market for them?

Not to split hairs here, but "gr" refers to Grains, not grams "g"

I bought a nice portable, digital scale on eBay for $9.00 + shipping. It works great. There are a ton of cheap digital scales online.

grains were an old English measurements used in apothecary (old name for pharmacy). in my nursing training, we had to calculate meds in grains at times. its so old, not used anymore.

grains are currently used to weigh powder that goes into bullets.

PADisc, dont apologize. big difference in the two.;) 1 grain = 60-65 milligrams

OK Thanks. Yeah, I guess in the back of my mind somewhere I remember about bullets being measured in grains.

Whoever would have thought that a disc golf site could be so educational?

Grams = g

Grains = gr

Now back to my question. Why don't they make disc in the 150-160 g category?

So illegal drugs and frisbees are measused in grams while legal drugs and ammunition is measured in grains. Now that's some useful information.

I know those old school science scales are great.

My dog's phenobarbitol, an anti-seizure medicine, is marked on the label as half-grain pills, so pharmacies still use the unit.

I wonder if making a sub-160g disc requires a smaller diameter, and therefore a different mold. Maybe 160g is the lower limit to how light they can make a full-sized disc before it starts getting too thin and floppy for quality control.

where can you pick up a cheap scale to weigh discs?

try a tobacco store, thats where I got mine

In fact, 160g-166g discs aren't all that easy to come by either.

Ive always wondered the same too!! 150-167 range discs are my favorite and ive had a hard time finding them over the years. That is untill I found out about discgolfcenter.com! But even there they have less of those weights. Ive just always found that weight range to be both easy to throw and have good distance!

I think you guys will have an easier time finding the 150-160g discs in dx over the premium plastics. The champ and star plastics are just heavier plastics making it impossible to make some discs come out that light. Some of the disc molds just don't lend themselves, with their large wing or thicker flight plates, to the lighter weights.

Latest posts