• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sceptor or Golden retriever

Which works better?

• Sceptor

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Golden Retriever

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Behindatree

I have been thinking for awhile about getting one of these two devices. I'm too lazy to bend over and pick my discs up so i would just be using to get discs out of water and thick brush that is hard to reach into. Anyone who has used either of these devices please let me know which you think is better.

I would never try using a Golden Retriever in thick brush, and I have grabbed discs with my GR that I'm sure are beyond the reach of the Sceptor.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

Never had a scepter, but the retriever is somewhat limited in use. If you can see your disc, you should be able to easily get it back with the retriever. If not....it's gone man

theyre both good. the sceptor will only go so far into water or where u want to reach to. the retriever can go as far as your rope lets you.they both have their pros and cons

Two different tools for two different jobs.

You should also add a Fat Max into the discussion.

The sceptor just seems like a tool for sheer laziness. Or maybe if you have a bad back, then again why are you throwing discs if your back is bad....?

Never had a scepter, but the retriever is somewhat limited in use. If you can see your disc, you should be able to easily get it back with the retriever. If not....it's gone man

That's the thing I wonder about. And what if it's in water with a craggy bottom? The video I saw was nice clear water over a smooth bottom. I'd just walk into that water. I want something that will go where I won't.

The sceptor just seems like a tool for sheer laziness. Or maybe if you have a bad back, then again why are you throwing discs if your back is bad....?
Somebody said earlier that it extends pretty far.

*shrug*

That's the thing I wonder about. And what if it's in water with a craggy bottom? The video I saw was nice clear water over a smooth bottom. I'd just walk into that water. I want something that will go where I won't.

I got a retriever today and my local pond is like the video and given the fact people go in the water and swim for them so nobody can see them during the day(swimming in there is banned at out park/pond) I found 4. That is really good. I went to Lowes and got some 70' rope and it works great. I would swim in that water if my life depended on it but I would trust my retriever to get my disc out.

Last edited:
7157-sequin-sceptor.jpg

or

golden-retriever.jpg

Realy, that is comparing two quite different things... I'd go for the dog, personaly.

I don't have a scepter but honestly I wish I did. It would make field practice so much more enjoyable and longer. As for using it while playing, I don't really see the point.

I do own a golder retriever and I think I had lofty expectations for it. Like someone already said, if you know where your disc is and it's on flat solid ground you can get it. Beyond that it's pretty useless. All the water on the courses here has a nasty sludgy and rocky bottom so getting that retriever around the rim of the disc is near impossible. It's worth the initial investment though if you can even recover two discs it pays for itself. The best thing you could buy for disc retrieval is a scuba suit.

Maybe, maybe not.

Stoney Hill's pond has a pretty smooth bottom (for the most part), and is pretty deep in places that people throw a lot of discs. We use the Golden Retriever on a 50' string, randomly dragging the bottom, and have recovered a bunch of discs that would never be found any other way. Sometimes even the disc we just threw in.

I carry a GR in my bag, the super small creek that runs through one of the courses would be super easy to wade into, but it's usually easier to unwind the retriever, I have it on about 15' of string. I've also used it to retrieve discs out of people's yards that surround the course if it isn't too far away (I have another 50' I'll attach for this). Keeps me from getting my feet wet or looking for a stick. Since it's in the bag and takes up room that I couldn't use for anything else... I imagine the scepter would be nice for getting discs out of some nasty brush. Seems a bit pricey for the use though.

I throw more discs into thorn bushes than I do lakes, so I choose the scepter. Also, all of the courses I play regularly with water hazards, have too many tree lims in the water to allow the GR to do its job, but are never far enough out there for a scepter to not be able to retrieve it.

I can say I have had success once with the golden retriever. Had a friend playing with us at Cedar Hills in Raleigh that placed my son's disc in the pond at #7, about 15 feet from shore. This pond had no clarity, and I'm pretty sketched to wade into it. I took my buddy's retriever and on about the 15th try, about to give up......the disc was saved. Was it luck? Yeah probably, but in this case it worked.

Two different tools for two different jobs.

You should also add a Fat Max into the discussion.

Seconding the 35' FatMax tape as one of the best retrieval tools. Moreso for trees than water in my experience, but very handy and compact in either scenario.

I have both.
I've used the GR, but the bottom of our creek is all roots, so it didn't work.

I have a short Scepter (SR-1, I think) and it works great for shagging discs but I haven't tried to use it for the creek. I don't bring it when I play.

Seconding the 35' FatMax tape as one of the best retrieval tools. Moreso for trees than water in my experience, but very handy and compact in either scenario.

I picked one of these up for under $20 a while back. I've already made that back many times over in saved plastic. It has two prongs or catches on the top as well. If you can see any part of the disc, and it's within range, you can get it out. If not, it doesn't work very well for trying to fish for one though. It's kept me from having to wade into nasty stuff several times.

Maybe, maybe not.

Stoney Hill's pond has a pretty smooth bottom (for the most part), and is pretty deep in places that people throw a lot of discs. We use the Golden Retriever on a 50' string, randomly dragging the bottom, and have recovered a bunch of discs that would never be found any other way. Sometimes even the disc we just threw in.

When i lived near Fountain Hills i would use a a homemade retriever out of coat hangers and fishing weights. Use a old fishing pole and reel. You also need to use very strong, thin line, (30# fireline works fine.) If it snags and you can't get it free, break the line and use a new one. I also make a retriever with coat hangers and a golf ball retriever pole.

Latest posts