• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sceptor or Golden retriever

Which works better?

• Sceptor

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Golden Retriever

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have the Scepter, and I love it. Makes field work and putting practice 100% better because I don't have to ruin my back to get good practice in. There are times I wish I had the GR, but the scepter will get far more use if you do field work and putting practice.

I use the Search And Rescue Super Hide-Away Orange Ring Model Retriever

If you are wanting something that works good for both brush and water, this is a great product. It is a telescoping pole that goes from 22 inches to 10 feet. While the hook is designed for golf balls, it works great for discs. Much like the golden retriever, it works best when you can see the disc in the water, but I have pulled out a few discs from the lake that I could not see.

picture.php

Golden Retriever

Pros:
It was designed specifically to grab and hold a disc.
It works most of the time.
It folds up into a nice flat shape that fits in your bag and you never even have to think about it.
It has a very long range depending how much string you put on it.
It can go over high fences. I've used it at TPCC to get a disc from over a 12' deer fence.
You don't have to see your disc to get it. Just blind dragging works sometimes.

Cons:
You have to unwind the string and then wind it up every time you use it.
It sometimes won't work if there is tall grass, roots, weeds, or too many rocks around your disc.
It does not really work for discs stuck in trees but isn't that what rocks are for?

Sceptor
Pros:
It works in tall grass, weeds, etc where the retriever might not work.
No string to unwind or wind up.
It can be used for discs stuck in trees as well as water.

Cons:
It's not small enough to fit in your bag out of sight out of mind.
It has a limitited distance.
You pretty much have to see your disc to get it. Blind dragging would be a nightmare with a sceptor.
It pretty much does the same thing a stick will do. Just find a stick.

Fatmax

Pros:
Fits in your bag but not as flat as a retriever.
Works for water and trees.
Has a good distance potential (35').

Cons:
Is difficult to use on a windy day because it's not rigid enough.
It's kind of a heavy weight to add to your bag.
water retrieval is limited for a couple of reasons mainly due to rigidity issues.

Last edited:
So ideally you should carry all three. Use the retriever when your disc is 25' out in a pond with a good bottom. Use the sceptor for all the 12' grabs that are in a small creek or short tree. Use the fatmax if you're 40' up in a tree.

Latest posts