• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Schusterick’s New Venture

Having seen the online content Feldberg has out and the stuff Will has produced I personally would go with Will every time. The driving instructional he already had on youtube is one of the videos to which I often refer new players. I have no doubt the content will be useful and fundamentally sound.

A resume? Despite his critics here, Will is still a 3X US Champion with a lengthy list of wins in his career. Even if the content of the videos are exactly the same, I have to think more people are going to gravitate toward instruction from a champion versus a relatively anonymous teacher.

You're right.
But for 8 bucks or whatever?

I dunno man.
I hope he can make it work. But this sure is a niche sport. I'm curious to see how this pans out. Half the time, new golfers won't show up to weekly dubs because it costs 5 bucks.

So a question for those who have subscribed, how long, & how many videos did you get for the $9?

In my opinion he should have worked with other pros on this, but then I guess he would have to share a cut... if a pro like Sexton combined efforts with another Innova Pro or two, they could steal the market share Or hell I bet Jomez could pull some favors and produce a nice product. I think Will has outstanding backhand technique but would prefer putting, mental and forehand tips from another pro.

The "Stokely Method" was probably the first systematic approach, in the highest quality of VHS.

The Disc Golf Fundamentals DVD series with Feldy & Climo ended up just being a pilot.

More recently Christian Sandstrom had some online dg training university thing that seemed to be the real deal, but that website has error 404'd, not sure if it actually ever launched with product.

Will's intro video looks pretty snazzy. IMO he is a very good communicator much like Feldy and I agree with the vast majority of their tips I've seen in clinics, but he and Feldy have both got to stop teaching "keep your head down or still"! Ball golf instruction has finally widely recognized it as the worst advice and it's no exception in disc golf.
http://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-instruction/trying-keep-your-head-down-not-answer

See Best Practices PSA #5.

The head should move with the body. Peeking or force
ing the head down both engage the traps...which bleeds tension to the shoulders...ect. Moving the head out of sync of the body also disrupts the thowers/hitters balance.
Having said that, forcing the head down is better than peeking. Peek and the nose of the disc goes up.

End thread jack

Last edited:
Instruction videos are great especially for the complete beginner. I have been to 3 clinics I think (Avery and Will, and guys from our local club that crush) and watched countless videos back in the day. However, problem with instruction videos are that especially beyond the beginner stuff, the smaller hitches one may have in their mechanics may vary wildly, and the broad guidelines from the beginner videos (which unsurprisingly are pretty much the same across different videos) that usually fix 90% of the major problems in peoples throwing motions are not addressing the specific problems.

Another problem of video instruction is that there is no way (other than video) of knowing whether you are doing it right and getting the benefits (or even worse, not doing it but even picking up new bad habits).

For example, I know what I should do to get well past 300ft, and at times I may even think I do it like I should, but then on video I can see I am nowhere near the body positions I should be in. Thousands of incorrect repetitions are locked in too well for me to escape them on my own, at least not too easily.

Therefore, IMO, the only good option is personal coaching, prefereably live, by a professional. They will be able to see what is going on, and with any expertise, why said thing is going on, and suggest ways to get away from that bad habit.

In my opinion he should have worked with other pros on this, but then I guess he would have to share a cut... if a pro like Sexton combined efforts with another Innova Pro or two, they could steal the market share Or hell I bet Jomez could pull some favors and produce a nice product. I think Will has outstanding backhand technique but would prefer putting, mental and forehand tips from another pro.

Jomez + Sexton instructional video would be the bomb.

Jomez + Sexton instructional video would be the bomb.

Oh?

I can hear it now:

"You didn't throw that wrong. That's just a Destroyer doing Destroyer things."

Or better yet:

"Yeah well, you threw that putt just fine. Gonna have to blame it on the Discraft basket for spitting that one out."

"the right way"

im not interested in people who think in terms of right and wrong

especially being that everyones body and physical structure is different

I think the last statement is true, but the first one is way off base. If we were watching full speed throws from Brinster, Conrad, and Lizotte, we'd say, "there's more than one way to skin a cat," but if we watch it in slow motion, they are all doing a very similar throw. Reach back, weight shift, swing off a braced front foot. It sounds so simple, but we all know getting the body to do it is excruciatingly difficult. The best natural throwers I know are previous tennis players because they were trained "the right way" to swing a racket RHBH from an early age. There is definitely a wrong way to throw, and for most players this means a compiling of mistakes.

Hopefully with the money he makes from this he can purchase putting lessons from Ricky or Paul :p

Just bought and watched it.

As others have said, the production quality is really good. You can tell a team of video professionals were involved and a lot of planning/writing was put in to the project. Will communicates all the information in simple terms that everyone can understand and all the information is laid out in a organized fashion.

As advertised, it's a video for beginners. I'm still a beginner myself who only averages 250-275 max so I obviously picked up some tips and feel I got my moneys worth, but more advanced players may feel differently. However, based on how much effort was put into the first video, I'm optimistic that the intermediate/pro videos will be just as valuable for intermediate/pro players as this one is for beginners.

I will definitely be purchasing the rest of the series once it's released.

He's competing with a ton of free content that will be "good enough" for just about any level of player. (Danny Lindahl's videos for example.) Will's only made about 56k the past 3 years from PDGA earnings, so I hope this works out for him. I get the feeling behind the scenes, he's really trying to make disc golf his main source of income. But I think making any kind of "real" money from this venture might be harder than making a living from PDGA earnings. I don't know.. the more I see his efforts "off the course" the more I feel a bit sad for him. He was/is such a good player. Now....if....he comes back (he could, he's still young) and starts kicking a$$ on the PDGA tour, this video series could be gold for him. Hmm.. nothing in the books for 2018 so perhaps he doesn't want to run the risk of any negativity from tournament play affecting his marketing efforts of this project. I hope it all works out for Will, dude "seems" to have it all going for him. But this sport just doesn't have much money to go around. Will's disc golf history might be worth studying in future years. He has certainly run the full gauntlet.

I think this could be a good idea, but I also think that the people willing to spend money on a subscription to a DG series is also the group of people advanced enough to need more focused instruction. Most of us know how to x-step, basic fundamentals and that. What most of us want is a more in depth discussion into topics we already are familiar with.

Now if this is where he is attempting to go, I think it could be something worthwhile to invest in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of us know how to x-step, basic fundamentals and that.

Most of us don't know how to X-step right, that's why we don't throw 500'+

I put the left behind the right, but other than that it ain't the same as where Will's balance, momentum, and tempo is.

I hadn't seen much of Will S until his name came up here..

I just watched the Sula Open 2017 and Will can throw!!

I'd be happy to pick up tips from him...

I bought in...If the reset of the videos are as quality as the beginner one, they should be really good.

Bought the first one, and plan to buy more. Here is my reasoning: To me paid content means quality is king. Quality means multiple takes until it looks "perfect". Seeing the "perfect take" over and over will put in my visual cortex the ideal form. Eventually that will trickle down into my motor cortex (that's the iffy part). The extra info is gravy.

Now, if there were 10 pros out there all producing the same general product, I might not purchase Will's just because I identify with or prefer other players. However, if I and others purchase this product it will prove there is a market for this kind of content, then maybe, just maybe the other players will follow suit. And I will eagerly buy those of the players with whom I identify.

Finally, for half the price of a disc, I purchased access to a beautifully produced instructional video that supports a DG pro, which in turn supports DG which in turn strengthens the sport. Win-Win. That which helps me not lose a disc, saves me the price of a disc LOL

And there's already a bonus announced: video of a clinic he'll be doing shortly that will be available to founding members.