• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Score another one for TX

RustyP

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Havent been on the site in a long time, and when I popped back in a few minutes I noticed that my all-time favorite course (and previous home course) just broke into the Top 10 list on the front page...Coyote Course @ Lorch Park, Cedar Hill, TX

Hella excited...wish I could go play there right now :D

That's all...

Rick Perry, the Governor of Texas, already rejected 555 million dollars of federal stimulus funds for unemployment benefits, so it would also stand to reason that he would reject $800,000 stimulus funds for a disc golf course, if and when that were to ever come to fruition.

Rick Perry, the Governor of Texas, already rejected 555 million dollars of federal stimulus funds for unemployment benefits, so it would also stand to reason that he would reject $800,000 stimulus funds for a disc golf course, if and when that were to ever come to fruition.

sounds like you need a new governor down there.

While I do like the courses at Lester Lorch I just can't imagine that they would be top 10 in the country. I have only played 38 courses and I wouldn't put either of them in my top 5. I think it just points out the difficulty with national lists when most people have not played most of the courses on the list. Very difficult to say which courses are really the best.

While I do like the courses at Lester Lorch I just can't imagine that they would be top 10 in the country. I have only played 38 courses and I wouldn't put either of them in my top 5. I think it just points out the difficulty with national lists when most people have not played most of the courses on the list. Very difficult to say which courses are really the best.

Agreed, but Lester Lorch is still greatness.

Lester Lorch is a very decent course. Not a top 10 by any means. Probably not even top 50. But still a great place to play -- I miss it. :(

Course ratings will even out eventually -- once them TX boys take some roadtrips...

speaking of road trips. my bro(fwgrant) and I are from tx and we are takin a road trip down I-20 this week to Mobile Al. Our 88 yr old grandpa is getting remarried(true story!) and we decided to turn the wedding into a disc golf tour of the gulf coast. We both took two days off of work to make it happen, but man I'm PUMPED.

Oh and Lester Lorch is one of the best DFW courses by far. (In my humble opinion).

Yeah, the two courses at Cedar Hill taken together are a disc golf destination as you get in DFW. Definitely.

My TX favorites are East Metro Park in Manor, followed closely by Cameron East in Waco and then Houck's two courses in Wimberley.

Perry is concerned about how the Govt. stimulus funds would monkey with the state's unemployment system. He doesn't want those currently unemployed and getting benefits to rely on money that may not be there in 2-3 years. (Hmm, does anyone smell a Presidential run in 2012)

When it comes to land development, I think Perry is willing to let those dollars flow. Politics aside, The pay 2 play course has been in the works for a while (you've heard that term "shovel ready project"). This is a project that got stalled by a shortage of available funds.

When it comes to trying to spend 770 billion across 50 states, anything with a plan (and probably some without), have been tapped for cash. The cash for a disc golf course is sort of the butt of a lot of crappy economy & government incompetence jokes these days, which is unfortunate. What I can't figure out is how they estimate that the number of jobs created with an almost 1 million dollar disc golf project creates 3 jobs.

Anyway, I suppose I wish that the course was not going to be pay 2 play since there are already plenty of free courses in the area that I would opt for. It's also on the East side of Austin which happens to be across town for me. If I am going to drive out there I might as well go out to Manor.

Hopefully, with the addition of a 6th course within the city limits of Austin, it will be a big draw for PDGA sanctioned events and large tournaments. Speaking of new courses, the Circle C re-do is almost complete and will sure to be a gem in South Austin. Now if the city could just be convinced to put in some new tee pads as Pease...

come on out to Austin, Tx. and play some great disc golf. You can fly into one of the easiest airports in the country and play 5-10 courses within a 30 minute drive. See you out there.

One of the best features of Lester Lorch is the fact that there are 36 holes in one location. I am planning to be in FW this summer and will probably play there. I just feel there have to be other great courses out there I have not played and I can think of several D-FW area courses that I like as well or better than Lester Lorch. That's my opinion. I do think D-Fw is a great area for DG and this summer I hope to hit a few courses that I have not seen.

The Lester Lorch courses are cool from what I've heard, but no way are they in the top 10 considering those same people I've heard "Lester Lorch is cool" from say they're not even the best courses in Metro DFW.

When it comes to trying to spend 770 billion across 50 states, anything with a plan (and probably some without), have been tapped for cash. The cash for a disc golf course is sort of the butt of a lot of crappy economy & government incompetence jokes these days, which is unfortunate. What I can't figure out is how they estimate that the number of jobs created with an almost 1 million dollar disc golf project creates 3 jobs.

As for the $886,000 courses we keep hearing about planned in Austin, unless some gracious private donor comes forward with a grant, forget about it. No stimulus money was ever appropriated for it, nor will any be. It was merely on Austin's wish list. And even if somehow it were to come to fruition, I have to remind people once again that the overwhelming majority of that money would be spent on roads, sidewalks, landscaping, lighting and whatnot where the disc golf courses would be located, not on the actual disc golf infrastructure itself.

Anyway, I suppose I wish that the course was not going to be pay 2 play since there are already plenty of free courses in the area that I would opt for.
Think about your reasoning here. If you avoid a pay for play course because you can go to a free course someplace else, it will simply reinforce the notion that our sport is played by people who are cheap, pretty much telling our P&R people that there's no need to dedicate more land for disc golf. OTOH, if a pay for play course succeeds because you have enough folks in Austin who are tired of all the following things plaguing our free courses like say...

1. Waiting in line at teepads
2. Vandalism
3. Litter
4. Grass that never seems to get mowed
5. Erosion from overuse
6. Dealing with non-DG'ers walking into the line of fire in a "mixed use" park
7. Neglected Equipment that seems to wilt and rust
8. Groundskeeping issues that don't get attended to

...then a pay for play course or complex like what they're proposing could be a godsend. Not only will it relieve crowding at the free courses, but it will give the P&R department a revenue stream to possibly maintain and improve amenities at all of the courses, and without using tax dollars no less. Numerous other recreational activities pay to use their amenities, I don't know why ours should be any different.

Yeah, the two courses at Cedar Hill taken together are a disc golf destination as you get in DFW. Definitely.

My TX favorites are East Metro Park in Manor, followed closely by Cameron East in Waco and then Houck's two courses in Wimberley.

I just don't get what the big deal is about the courses in Wimberley. I thought that they were good courses, but they didn't impress me as much as others seemed to be impressed by them.

The Lester Lorch courses are cool from what I've heard, but no way are they in the top 10 considering those same people I've heard "Lester Lorch is cool" from say they're not even the best courses in Metro DFW.

As for the $886,000 courses we keep hearing about planned in Austin, unless some gracious private donor comes forward with a grant, forget about it. No stimulus money was ever appropriated for it, nor will any be. It was merely on Austin's wish list. And even if somehow it were to come to fruition, I have to remind people once again that the overwhelming majority of that money would be spent on roads, sidewalks, landscaping, lighting and whatnot where the disc golf courses would be located, not on the actual disc golf infrastructure itself.

Think about your reasoning here. If you avoid a pay for play course because you can go to a free course someplace else, it will simply reinforce the notion that our sport is played by people who are cheap, pretty much telling our P&R people that there's no need to dedicate more land for disc golf. OTOH, if a pay for play course succeeds because you have enough folks in Austin who are tired of all the following things plaguing our free courses like say...

1. Waiting in line at teepads
2. Vandalism
3. Litter
4. Grass that never seems to get mowed
5. Erosion from overuse
6. Dealing with non-DG'ers walking into the line of fire in a "mixed use" park
7. Neglected Equipment that seems to wilt and rust
8. Groundskeeping issues that don't get attended to

...then a pay for play course or complex like what they're proposing could be a godsend. Not only will it relieve crowding at the free courses, but it will give the P&R department a revenue stream to possibly maintain and improve amenities at all of the courses, and without using tax dollars no less. Numerous other recreational activities pay to use their amenities, I don't know why ours should be any different.

scarp - I disagree with your opinion on the Disc Golf Country Club post about the driving range, but you are all over it here buddy. Great points, and there are plenty of us out here who would like someone to offer some nicer amenities for those of us who don't want to deal with those 8 issues you mentioned. Not everyone in this sport lives on food stamps, and there is demand for better courses and facilities, even if it means paying (heaven forbid). Good work buddy.

Latest posts