• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Score keeping

I have used em and find there's a number of drawbacks.
What if its raining
Do you trust others with your 600 dollar phone
If not, how do you rotate duties
Gps devices are illegal
You look like a texting douche to onlookers

DG APP

I have used my blackberry, (Tried Ipod took too long to unlock and reload app), I use a app that is for ball golf but have changed it to work for disc golf. It is called Accelgolf . When I am done I hit finalize and it submits my score. My son also uses this app on his andriod and I have a friend who uses it for his Iphone.

I do not want my phone on when I am on the course. Part of the fun of the game is getting away from all the normal BS of everyday life. I normally don't want to hear your music either, so maybe I am finally hitting that grumpy old guy stage.

I have used em and find there's a number of drawbacks.
What if its raining
Do you trust others with your 600 dollar phone
If not, how do you rotate duties
Gps devices are illegal
You look like a texting douche to onlookers

I've used my phone in the rain regularly and it has never been close to being damaged. You would need heavy rain to risk damaging your phone, and I doubt you would be disc golfing during torrential rain.

Most smart phones are around $200 but that's beside the point. With your phone, you wouldn't need be rotating due to the ease of keeping score. It really isn't much of a hassle to pull your phone out, unlock it, and tap one button on your screen 18 times for about 10 seconds each time. That's 3 minutes in your 2 hour round. No big deal, right?

Not for casual play. Tournaments is a different thing, and the people in your group would probably want to opt for a scorecard. But, in leagues, I can't see anyone really complaining.

When I see someone looking at their phone, I don't assume "texting douche." Only taking your phone out for 10 seconds is hardly noticeable. And people rarely look at me after I throw my shot.

I do play in heavy rain or snow.
Rotating the card is important.
My 32g iphone ran 800 w/o upgrade and my bb 600 w/o upgrade.
I'd never let anyone in leauges use a app- unless we were all on the assumed lead card with the opponent using their phone. I'd then drop it to mess with their head;)
I view anyone on their phone on the course as a douche. i

I still use pen and cardstock (print scorecard from innovadiscs.com) and plug it into excel later.

I'm old school.

I do not want my phone on when I am on the course. Part of the fun of the game is getting away from all the normal BS of everyday life. I normally don't want to hear your music either, so maybe I am finally hitting that grumpy old guy stage.

Amen.

Didn't really think of looking like a douche while putting my score on my phone. I just think it's easier to edit the course info (hole number, par, etc.) the night before playing or over a cup of coffee before leaving and just have to tap a few times out on the course. Eliminates the chance of illegible handwriting, broken pencils and whatever else could happen to a paper card.

On a 9 hole course, I keep score in my head. 18 or more holes, pencil and paper.

I use a scorebook I put together with refillable generic 18 hole pages. I also added in cards printed off this site on occasion.:thmbup:

My buddy uses an app on his Ipod, I think, but it doesn't save round to round, so he can't track history.:thmbdown:

You could use airplane mode to get away. My app doesn't need any connections.