• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Searching for discs vs Casual round

We were playing a local course last week. Found a unmarked disc. A few holes later we found some kids throwing a football at a basket. We gave them the disc and told them to throw it at the basket instead, which they promptly did after we passed by.

You guys are weird. Searching for discs is the worst part of DG, and if I happed to come across one while searching for mine, it is a bit of a hassle unless the course has a lost disc return box. If it has no name/number I will try and shout out about it in the local forum/whereever but most often they just pile up. I actually have a box of them I was thinking of donating come next spring. Pretty useless stuff for any experienced player but newbies might get a kick.

I guess it is like any other sport, you do it because you enjoy it. It is easier and cheaper to buy fish or meat at the store, but there are still many hunters and fisherman who enjoy the sport.

Personally, over half of the discs I find are other peoples that get returned. Of the ones with no names, or no one picks up, it is rare that I find one that actually makes the bag, but I still fish for discs because I enjoy it.

last weekend i put a wetsuit on and went to the local course to find my brother and friends disc. i found them both and returned them the same day.

I've never went just to look for discs but I always keep my eye out. I always return if there's contact info, if not I keep an eye on the course fb page for disc Amber alerts. Waiting to meet up with someone who didn't have a name/# on their prodigy I found this past Sunday. Boggles my mind why someone would throw a clear disc without figuring out a way to make it brighter lol

I never really look for them on purpose but is is fun to guess when you see one in the water. Last Sunday my son and I played two rounds next to the Carson river and spotted a disc during the first round. It was a nice day but I wasn't about to wade into the river with one more round to go during a bag tag blitz. Second round, I waded across a shallow part and crossed and then went back upstream and waded out to pick it up......175 Star Roadrunner with an unreadable name and number that had faded and blurred. That water was COLD for a disc but what the heck?

I enjoy being out in the woods, so I will admit to having spent a little time wandering around off the edges of the course looking for whatever might be there, discs included. I mostly do this at my home course where I know a lot of the players and often I'm able to find and return their lost plastic. Since I often play/practice in the early-morning hours, I have the place to my self. For the record, though, I don't really enjoy searching at length for my own discs. I'm trying to learn how to keep more of them in the fairway.

I used to go in the water all the time and loved it. I now have a telescoping 15 ft. Pole that allows me to snag almost everything I can see. Less exciting but i do return a lot of discs, maybe 75 in the 2 years i have been dging. 50%are base plastic, 50% something else more or less. No putters, a few mids and fairways, 80% distance drivers.

It's win, win. You either get a disc or get to do a good deed. Now to be clear, I don't just stop discing to go fishing. In fact, when my son recently threw his DX Teebird into the drink we knew our time was better spent disc golfing than blind throwing (Golden Retriever) for DX plastic. But when we saw two other discs in the shallow part of the creek while looking for my son's Teebird we couldn't resist bringing them up. One "no number" and one "called but said keep it". Again, win win.

I'm pretty picky about my bag set up so finding someone else's disc feels sort of like a waste, but if it's a mold I've never thrown it's a bit of a thrill to take a couple of throws out in a grassy field just to see how the other half lives. :rolleyes:

I don't actively search for other's lost discs but have run across four in the past 6 months. Three had names/numbers, one did not. Made an attempt to return the ones with names and numbers but one was a wrong number (probably a recycled phone number because the individual I reached had no clue what I was talking about) and the other two indicated that they would like to get them back and have my number but as of yet have made no effort to meet me at a course or any where else so I could return them. So I guess they don't want them that badly. :\ For now they are riding around in my trunk.

I think setting out to find discs would be less fun than happening upon one while searching for your own discs.

I actually like this method more than going out and purposefully looking for discs. It tends to be more exciting when you just stumble upon one while looking for your own disc.

Does anyway else like to hunt for discs more than playing at times? I feel weird about it and wondered how DCG'ers felt about it.

I always make a point to help those on my card find their discs if lost. I trained my eye to spot discs in a similar way to underwater hunting which requires a mind-focused-non-eye-focus and find about 4-5 lost discs a month of which, at least one is not returnable due to no/bad number or the owner telling me to keep it.

I even got a prize at our annual meetup for most helpful to others in finding lost discs... won a disc for it.

They just keep rollin' in :clap:

I don't actively search for others discs, but if I happen to find them and it's inked I take great pleasure in returning them. And if it's an unknown, it becomes a donation disc. I will not sell a found disc, just doesn't feel right.

Same here, I've found several while fishing out my floaters but never go looking for them. We have an honor system on our course were if there is a name and number on the disc you call and return it. I'm not sure why people don't use floaters when playing over water (for fun).

I don't know about more fun that playing, but I know of a private course with a pond that catches lots of discs. And I know of a few guys with homemade pond rakes that have gone there specifically to drag for discs. Underlying this is a hope they'll find their own, but they've dredged up plenty of others in the process.

The pond is swimmable and, even when not chasing down one of my own discs, I've gone swimming for pleasure and spent 15 minutes or so dragging the bottom with my feet, in the splash zones, hoping to find what whatever I could. Though the appearance of snapping turtles late last year somewhat curtailed my enthusiasm for feeling along the bottom with my edible toes for something hard, flat, and round.

It's a little different when you're searching your own private course. We tend to return everything we find on our own course, because we most always know whose disc it is. I've never gone out to a course other than ours to specifically look for discs, but I've come across discs, and some other DG items, while looking for my own lie. I've returned whatever I could, but a lot of folks don't bother marking their stuff.

Same here, I've found several while fishing out my floaters but never go looking for them. We have an honor system on our course were if there is a name and number on the disc you call and return it. I'm not sure why people don't use floaters when playing over water (for fun).

Luckily I don't have water hazards lol. But one issue I do have are guys who never call on a disc. I have called them out on it, but there is no changing who they are, they just feel entitled. I just can't understand it.

I like finding discs. I take my paddleboard out on a lake that our local course plays through and find random discs. It always amazes me how many people don't put thier name on and number on a disc. The ones that do have numbers I get back to the owners.

I don't put my name or number on my discs anymore. I don't lose enough to worry about it and when I do, it eliminates the frustration of people not calling you. Plus, I kinda enjoy finding discs with no ink myself.

"Enjoy" is my new philosophy.

It would be fun if I found an awesome disc with no name or # on it, but most of the discs I find are max weight Champ Boss's or Nukes, basically chucker discs. So I usually leave these for someone else to find them .

Latest posts