• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

season is closing :(

Below 50 degrees is my cut off for too cold to play. Thankfully there are plenty of days above that during the winter.

Honestly don't know how you guys in the north do it. When playing in the cold it is just no longer fun for me.

We still wear shorts in 50 degree weather.

Honestly it is an adjustment, disc fly a little different and you need to adjust to extra layers of clothing, but it is still fun.

Im getting my PS4 in a week and a half, so that'll balance out all that exercise I got all spring/summer/fall haha. Too snowy here in the winters to play lots. I heard rumors that Sandy Point is staying open all winter so that may be a possibility on occasion.

Buuuut for the most part, Black Ops 3, Battlefront, Fallout and Netflix dominate my forseeable horizon. Sad but not sad at the same time.

Being a teacher and getting out of school at 2:30 I have plenty of time for rounds all year around. Last year I think the coldest I went out and played in was around -10 degrees Fahrenheit with the wind chill. In all honesty once its cold its cold. Anything from 20 degrees to -10 doesn't feel ALL that different to me. Sometimes the colder the better because snow stops sticking to your discs and the cut marks are better. Its the wet snow that is the worst.

I love cold weather as long as the snow isn't deep and the wind is down. Excellent disc weather.

In all honesty once its cold its cold. Anything from 20 degrees to -10 doesn't feel ALL that different to me. Sometimes the colder the better because snow stops sticking to your discs and the cut marks are better. Its the wet snow that is the worst.

Yup. Snow disc sucks when the temp hangs right around freezing. Everything is all wet and soggy and gross. I'll take 5 degrees over 30 degrees any day. Last winter I played a couple days where temp without windchill was below 0. Always started off with like 4 layers of long sleeve thermals and ended up taking 3 of them off. Trudging through 12" of snow for a couple hours keeps you plenty warm.

snow isn't the problem with frigid temperatures. it's rain.

I'll take snow and/or freezing/below freezing temps and even lots of wind above even 50ºF and below and rain.

That 45ºF range + rain, for me, is the worst.

I played an ace race once in about 38 degrees and sleeting. It was the most miserable weather I've ever played in.

Disc golf is an all season sport for most of us hardcore players around here. I've always said that bad weather disc is better than no disc.
Tonight after work I raced over to the nearest course & shot the front few holes (to test out my tape job on my LEDs, as well as huck the new disc that arrived in the mail at lunch today). The older I get, the harder it is to play in the cold. This year I will probably not play as much as I have in the past few years.

I am from the sunny south (Wilmington, NC), but spent five years in New England (Mass and RI).
From my perspective, it's all about acclimating to the weather.

When I lived in Mass, we went swimming and sunbathing at 50F.
Right now, in Wilmington, 50F seems a bit chilly.

snow isn't the problem with frigid temperatures. it's rain.

I'll take snow and/or freezing/below freezing temps and even lots of wind above even 50ºF and below and rain.

That 45ºF range + rain, for me, is the worst.

Add enough wind to make an umbrella useless. In the spring when the ground is still frozen, so there is water running over ice on the hill side around the hole.

I almost thought about not finishing that casual round.

544084_10151774616285754_46172923_n.jpg

We still wear shorts in 50 degree weather.

Honestly it is an adjustment, disc fly a little different and you need to adjust to extra layers of clothing, but it is still fun.

I played glow last night in shorts at 43 degrees. Had to have a couple long sleeve shirts but my legs just don't get cold.

It was 28°F last night. I played in jeans and a hoodie hahahahahaha. Sidenote, I am not even acclimated to the cold yet :popcorn:

I used to live in western NY and became acclimatized to the cold. But I have lived in the south for so long now that apparently the only part of me that remembers NY weather is my legs.

I played in the snow yesterday, and shot the best round of my life. I have no problem. Plus the courses are empty unless you are as hard core as must of us on this website.

63 and sunny here. Booya! Now tomorrow is a different story, and the rest of the week is gonna suck with storms moving through the area. Seems like every time we get to where the courses are actually drying out around here, the rain swings back through.