• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Second round woes

tbird888

Salient Disc Test Team
So I just started playing in tourneys this spring and have been loving the competition. I've found that I can barely sleep the night before the event due to the excitement but still manage to wake up early (feeling refreshed), eat a good breakfast, and head to the course for sign ups. I have a good stretch, warm up my mids and drivers, and hit the practice basket. I'm good and relaxed and ready to hit my marks when the two minute warning echoes around the course. I usually have an impressive first round (for me) and am excited for the second round.

I take my break between rounds to relax and eat a big lunch (I'm usually starving). I come back optimistic and ready to beat my first round score. In casual rounds, I usually shave strokes off my first round during my second. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get in the groove during the second round. I miss putts I shouldn't, hit trees I shouldn't, and miss gaps with disturbing regularity.

I guess what I'm asking is what do you do to keep your momentum going after a good first round?

I had this same problem in my first tournament, sort of. When I played singles the first day, I threw 2 throws better in my second round. In doubles on day two, though, I had a pretty solid first round and an awful second round. We were only 1 stroke under the team in second place, so I was pretty nervous. My drives were almost all god-awful, even my forehand drives, which are normally pretty safe and accurate. I was having real trouble feeling my worth on the course for the first few holes, and my hands were getting clammy and I was botching putts, too. After about half the course, I finally began to shake it, and I ended up pulling it together in the end. Overall, though, it was a pretty miserable experience, and I hope I can chalk it up to first-tourney jitters.

I've only played in one tourney so far and had this happen to me on the first day and I had the same score both rounds the second day. Both days I went into the second round determined to shave strokes. I think that might be the problem. On the second round there is more attention to your score and your mental game falls apart because you're too stressed about doing better when your body is feeling more worn.

Take it one shot at time and remember to stay loose. Forget the past holes and don't think about the upcoming holes.

I have the same problem, and I think the biggest issue for me is not paying enough attention to the holes I did well on the first round and taking them for granted. That's especially a problem for me when I play a tournament at a new (to me) course, and I don't know the holes very well.

That's funny, I usually have the opposite problem. I am usually so nervous and wound up in my first round that I throw erratically off the tee and and shake when I putt. The I come out and cathc up in the second round.

I think one way to relax is to talk to people, especially friends, in between rounds. Begin by talking about scores and shots but try to finish by talking about things other than discgolf. Remember, discgolf is as much about the comradery as it is about the competition. Also, the people you play with the second round scored just as you did the first round. Keep in mind that you are playing with peers and that should make it easier to talk to them and cool the nerves. Then just go out and throw every drive with accuracy and power, curve every approach neatly around obtacles, and putt it into the chains, easy.

I think I'm too loose during the second round. I'm more social and seem to treat the round more as a casual round than a competition. I'm extremely focused the first round and usually hit my marks. The second round, I just can seem to find that focus again.

Here's my tournament day routine. It hasn't failed me yet.

Wake up early. Hit McDonald's and get 2 bacon & cheese bisquits with a large coffee.

Get to the course about 1 hour before sign in starts. I play an entire round to loosen up and get rid of all those bad shots.

Sign in and then spend about 15 to 30 minutes putting and chatting with friends.

Play round one and then go get a huge lunch, but not so big I feel stuffed. Go back to the start location and practice some more putting.

Ready to go for round two.

With that routine I usually do the same or better than round one.

Here's my tournament day routine. It hasn't failed me yet.

Wake up early. Hit McDonald's and get 2 bacon & cheese bisquits with a large coffee.

Get to the course about 1 hour before sign in starts. I play an entire round to loosen up and get rid of all those bad shots.

Sign in and then spend about 15 to 30 minutes putting and chatting with friends.

Play round one and then go get a huge lunch, but not so big I feel stuffed. Go back to the start location and practice some more putting.

Ready to go for round two.

With that routine I usually do the same or better than round one.

Sounds about like what I do, especially when I'm playing a new course in the tournament. If it's a course I know, I'll usually play about 9 holes, but if it's new to me I'll try to play the whole course, trying a couple lines on each hole if I have time.

Oh, and McDonalds is definitely my breakfast of choice on tournament mornings, though I get 2 sausage mcmuffins, 1 bacon mcmuffin and a couple hash browns.

Oh, and McDonalds is definitely my breakfast of choice on tournament mornings, though I get 2 sausage mcmuffins, 1 bacon mcmuffin and a couple hash browns.

Yep, you have to load up on calories so you don't run down in the middle of the round.

Yep, you have to load up on calories so you don't run down in the middle of the round.

That's actually a pretty normal sized breakfast for me on any given day. I just usually eat healthier than that, I give myself a break on days where I'm going to be outside doing something all day. I do always carry food in my bag, I play better if I snack throughout the round and don't let myself get hungry.

I think my biggest problem is that with first-round mix-ups, you usually end up with a variety of skill levels...in my last tourney, I was shooting far better than anyone on my card (by at least 10 strokes), which was quite the confidence booster...then comes round 2, where we're carded by score. I'm on second-to-top card, so the players in my group are right at where I am, and I'm bad enough under pressure, so having that first-round boost and then having to really focus and try to keep up in the second round, I just buckled. That's typical for me, though.

Another downer is that I'm vegetarian, and the lunches provided in the player's pack aren't always veg-friendly. I've actually called ahead to TDs and told them of my diet, and was reassured there'd be vegetarian options, only to get there after a grueling first round hoping for some fuel, and to find out there's chicken in everything...I guess "vegetarian" means "Yes, I eat no meat but frequently indulge in chicken" to the TD...but I don't hold it against 'em, 'cause they can only provide what the sponsors offer. Not getting a proper meal will really take its toll...

I've probably got this all backwards but from what I've heard, a heavy meal will cause the body to divert energy to the gut, in order to expedite digestion.

The solution would be to load up on carbs - bread, pasta, stuff like that - instead of meat. Carbs digest easily and quickly and convert to sugar, which gives you an energy boost. Meat just sits there like lead.

I've probably got this all backwards but from what I've heard, a heavy meal will cause the body to divert energy to the gut, in order to expedite digestion.

The solution would be to load up on carbs - bread, pasta, stuff like that - instead of meat. Carbs digest easily and quickly and convert to sugar, which gives you an energy boost. Meat just sits there like lead.

I'm going more along the lines of this. I do not eat a large breakfast or lunch, and like to carry something to munch on while I'm on the course. Sunflower seeds are great for me personally. I get to the course, throw some holes (do not start by putting) in order to get loose. After I get loosened up I go putt. You can even go for a run, just to get the blood moving and muscles working. During the round I just take it one at a time. I do not like knowing my score, and often end having no clue where I am in the standings.

I've noticed that by eating a large meal, it screws up my second round. Being full makes you tired and lethargic. Eat light and munch something along the way. Grab a small bag of trail mix, sunflower seeds, granola bars, etc. Always try to calm yourself before EVERY throw, whether it's a putt or a drive. I've had to remove myself from the pad because I was too jittery, collect myself, and then step back up.

I remember in my first tournament, the first round I was paired with another similar skilled player along with 2 Open players. It was pretty cool at first because I was able to hit them up for tips. I also had a good breakfast courtesy of McDonald's.

Then for lunch we had sandwiches and some snacks which was all I needed. I didn't want a big lunch to fill me up, just enough to tide me over until dinner. I also carried some nuts/powerbars in my bag for round snacks. Played better in the 2nd round because I already had a round under the belt and was paired up with similar scored players.

I would chalk my poor score to inexperience and tournament jitters.

I hit up BK for breakfast sausage egg cheese croissant. Lunch is either a turkey cheese sandwich or what they provide and I carry around a PBJ sandwich for each round. I try to eat a lot of carbs(carb loading) the night before.

Eating a huge lunch between rounds is not ideal. Im typically eating something every two hours or so, which keeps your blood sugar level throughout the day.

I think a lot has to do with the fact that you are really focused on beating your first round so you start making those gaps you hit automatically into a manual mental process which will kill you. Also, even though it may not feel like it too much, your muscles are definitely worn and even the slightest difference in your throw, asd i'm sure you already know, can be the difference between hitting that gap, or donking off a tree.

Also are you doing your same warm up routine for your second round? Your muscles can definitely cool off quickly so make sure you give yourself plenty of warm up time before your second round too

Latest posts