• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Secret technique ever revealed?

gronkus

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I got on the archive board some time ago and read thru many of the threads. Blake_T had started one on "secret technique... almost complete" that sounded like it was proving promising on several students of his.

Here are some of his quotes:

The solution i've been working on to tame out of control shoulder rotation is... to not try to tame it but develop a motion that is conducive to out of control shoulders that achieves the same end result as the other technique (bringing the edge around hard and finishing with an open wrist).

It's sort of an "extreme swedish technique" but performed with keeping the arm straight and shifting the shoulder swing plane to be more like a hockey slap shot or golf swing. in its early stages it involves focusing on bringing the edge around. once that can be done, making modifications to the pendulum motion so that the arm bends and elbow extension (forearm arc flare) happens with the same feeling.

basically... the complete secret technique has incredible efficiency by using particular entry angles and unloading the levers/joints to their maximum potential.
swedish technique focuses on leverage and bringing the edge around.

I was just wondering if his drills were ever revealed any further?

I have read through the thread, or at least the pages that were available, and the secret technique was never "developed".
The farthest that it got was working on his drills that he videotaped and released.

IIRC, he was working with some of the people he was tutoring and using their feedback to develop a technique.
I don't believe that he has released anything along those lines.

Beyond that,
The DGR Forum is dead, basically, and I am hoping that it can be revived or hosted again.

I don't think Blake actually ever did complete it or at least reveal it. I don't remember reading much of that thread because I was already past the point of those first hammer drills, and probably why I don't recall those quotes, but it sounds just like how I would describe the Reciprocating Dingle Arm.

I got a lesson from Blake. He basically told me hips and lower body do nothing and its all in the "snap".

I got a lesson from Blake. He basically told me hips and lower body do nothing and its all in the "snap".
Maybe that is why he never completed the secret technique. The lower body/hips are what turns the shoulders.

I have to think that Blake's idea is couched in some context.

My context to a statement like that would be: the vast majority of distance that players need to develop first would be posture, elbow extension, disc extension, holding through the disc pivot. (The stuff he's probably calling "snap")

That alone should get 300-325' of mid-range distance. Adding an x-step may get you another 10%... and if you've got an immaculate x-step and top notch timing - 20%. But how many guys do you see throwing a Roc / Buzzz 390'? I don't think I've ever seen it.

Drivers? 1-step should get you 400' and add 10% with an x-step... again, perfection maybe 20%.

My context to a statement like that would be: the vast majority of distance that players need to develop first would be posture, elbow extension, disc extension, holding through the disc pivot. (The stuff he's probably calling "snap")
"Holding on" is a symptom of mechanics, and disc pivot is a myth.

Whatever you want to call "Holding to the 4:00 position"... Coin your term: not slipping off early.
It is just an indicator of something else happening/good mechanics. You can pivot the disc around and hold on until 4 a couple different ways, but the disc might also only go a couple feet, or a couple hundred feet.

The below has always been my take on it (and could well be wrong).

I believe he was referring in the myth of the disc pivot thread to the difference between an active and passive motion through the pivot, passive - building momentum and then the disc slings around your grip or active, building momentum and then pulling it and transferring actively through the pivot (or pulling around the nose of the disc) I find the difference between the two incredibly hard to explain in text.

Sekret technique was never completed or at least never published on DGR, where it left off it was basically the Hammer drills (great for feeling the timing) and then using Swedish'ish style to get to the hammer drill easily (taking as many moving parts out that could cock up the timing and body positions into the hammer drill, especially early shoulder opening, and as Seabas says pretty much the Dingle arm).

The problem with this is the Hammer drill only goes so far as the drill takes you to the point just before you pull the nose round. Whilst some understood how to convert the feeling from the hammer drill to a full hit most of the people he taught didn't so it only led so far.

During this he found a way to teach the wide rail more easily and realised it was much easier to teach more people in getting to a full "Hit" that way as you could enter the Hit/pivot/nose pulling (what ever it's called) a lot slower than a traditional straight line pull which is a much more violent redirection.

The thread title does feel like one of the greatest teases in the history of disc golf...

I would love to hear Blakes take on it!

And i just read the myth pivot thread again and he describes what I couldn't above in the first paragraph - I forgot he had said it so well.

Maybe that is why he never completed the secret technique. The lower body/hips are what turns the shoulders.

I think this is pretty much what it is.

Those threads were super useful but they also read to me like snap was magic and did everything. And if you weren't "full hitting" you had to keep seeking that active wrist unload...somehow. I think now that part is when you have the perfect timing and correct dynamic balance/brace so you can keep unloading your shoulder as it's going around your body/axis to get that extra tug, in addition to good hips/shoulder separation that gets that arm speed to where it needs to be to be hitting over 400'.

Lots of the good things to aim for take care of themselves if you put yourself in the correct positions for the previous step, but that's not very easy to do from the get go.

Beato plays guitar in a metal band. Doesn't play much dg, I don't think. He's on FB if you need to get a hold of him.

Think Blake would get overwhelmed by "fix my form" requests and go underground somewhat regularly. I did remember somebody saying that he still gives lessons.

Beato plays guitar in a metal band. Doesn't play much dg, I don't think. He's on FB if you need to get a hold of him.

Think Blake would get overwhelmed by "fix my form" requests and go underground somewhat regularly. I did remember somebody saying that he still gives lessons.

Interviewing these two would be an excellent next post for www.heavydisc.com ;-)

That alone should get 300-325' of mid-range distance. Adding an x-step may get you another 10%... and if you've got an immaculate x-step and top notch timing - 20%. But how many guys do you see throwing a Roc / Buzzz 390'? I don't think I've ever seen it.

Drivers? 1-step should get you 400' and add 10% with an x-step... again, perfection maybe 20%.

Will Schusterick was quite famous for throwing his silver KCWO rocks up to 450 when he needed to.

There are out-liers who master the vast majority of techniques and for whatever reason can do it smoother, faster, whatever than an average player. Will is certainly one of the outliers, Alex Geisinger, Eagle, Simon are also.

But if you're looking at a bell curve, think of all those data points in the middle of the pack.

I'd put my money on 95% of MPO players throwing < 390' Roc shots on flat ground and not wind affected.

There are out-liers who master the vast majority of techniques and for whatever reason can do it smoother, faster, whatever than an average player. Will is certainly one of the outliers, Alex Geisinger, Eagle, Simon are also.

But if you're looking at a bell curve, think of all those data points in the middle of the pack.

I'd put my money on 95% of MPO players throwing < 390' Roc shots on flat ground and not wind affected.

Considering that anybody can sign up to be a pro I think that 95% is a fair assumption, however, I think that number would be more in the 50 to 60% range for those mpos rated higher than 1000

Latest posts