• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Seer-X

spinachd

Eagle Member
I am surprised how much I like the Seer. I wish I had this same disc with a little more stability. Perhaps the spec-o-philes can tell me what other small diameter discs have this same rim width but hopefully not too much deeper?

A Gazelle comes to mind. Is there a chart somewhere on DGCR of disc specs?

Feel wise the closest thing would probably be the Thief.

Saint Pro fulfills your specs, but feels completely different in the hand.

Feel wise the closest thing would probably be the Thief.

Saint Pro fulfills your specs, but feels completely different in the hand.

I don't think they feel so different but they are faster. I throw them and even have a pretty beat up one.

That stability might be just right though or maybe a touch less. Basically my shot in the woods is a mini Brinster hop hyzer flip. I aim at the left side of the fairway and it pops right up and rides down the center. I've used the Hatchet a lot for this shot but it can be pretty squirrely, usually tirning too much. The Seer is not squirrely but it turns slowly right. A Saint Pro requires too much power and a flatter release which makes it harder for me to get my snap vector right. This is very much a case of me wanting the same swing different club. Seer always comes out just right but turns a bit too much.

someone else recommended a Thief instead of the Hatchet while playing with me. I may give it a shot.

Jade? It pretty similar, but I've found it to have decent stability and fade.

Not sure about the exact rim widths, but the 2x Champ Leopards seem like a Seer-X.

I had that exact same thought and made a trade for 2 brand new champ Leopards. I'm not sure how to explain it but they have a slow lumbering flight compared to the Seer. They want a little more power for their supposed number. With the type of throw I'm using, they don't go far enough and they fade more than my Saint Pros. Different plastic might work or maybe a Leopard variant like Eagle-L or FD.

I don't think they feel so different but they are faster. I throw them and even have a pretty beat up one.

That stability might be just right though or maybe a touch less. Basically my shot in the woods is a mini Brinster hop hyzer flip. I aim at the left side of the fairway and it pops right up and rides down the center. I've used the Hatchet a lot for this shot but it can be pretty squirrely, usually tirning too much. The Seer is not squirrely but it turns slowly right. A Saint Pro requires too much power and a flatter release which makes it harder for me to get my snap vector right. This is very much a case of me wanting the same swing different club. Seer always comes out just right but turns a bit too much.

someone else recommended a Thief instead of the Hatchet while playing with me. I may give it a shot.

The Thief is like a less squirrely Hatchet, so that's a solid suggestion. A Discmania FD in S-Line would also be nice complement to the Seer. C-Line if you need a little extra stability.

I'm hoping the new Maul will have a bit more HSS than the Seer. I dig the Seer but it has more turn than my EchoStar Leopards.

The Thief is like a less squirrely Hatchet, so that's a solid suggestion. A Discmania FD in S-Line would also be nice complement to the Seer. C-Line if you need a little extra stability.

I do have an S-line FD from a Deep in the Game clinic. It's a main driver for my 11-year old but ill give it another shot.

I did pull out of storage an unused Jolly Launcher Valkyrie and an old beat champ Valkyrie for testing this week and although faster than the Hatchet they have more integrity. I'd say actually they work good for my current driving style.

I really like the Seer design and speed. Basically I want the same disc, exact same slope on wing, but with a little more material on the outside so it would be a little more blunt. People used to talk about Innova adding "spacers" to a mold for a thicker wing variant. I'd love to see some iterations on the Seer in this regard.

Last edited:
I would go for a river as a more stable seer. My most beat river is about the stability of a 173 seer and has similar glide. You can start with a 165g ish GL river, if that isn't stable enough for you try heavier, then move to OPTO or frost rivers in heavier weights.

The above mentioned Thief is also a great option for this slot, especially for the rim feel being rather blunt. Not quite the glide of the river though.

The frost river I have is far more stable then the opto river I have, so small sample set but I'd agree with the above post frost river is your seer x

I am surprised how much I like the Seer. I wish I had this same disc with a little more stability. Perhaps the spec-o-philes can tell me what other small diameter discs have this same rim width but hopefully not too much deeper?

A Gazelle comes to mind. Is there a chart somewhere on DGCR of disc specs?

Note the OP wants a SMALL DIAMETER disc with same rim width. Rivers are a lot wider, both in diameter and rim (PDGA and westside list the Seer as 1.8cm but it is fact 1.6cm, verified by my fancy calipers).

When you get to 1.6cm rims you are pretty much limited to Leopard, Cheetah, Gazelle, Polaris, and JLS.

If you check out the Seer thread I have some pics up of my Tourney Seer next to a DX Cheetah. They look nearly identical, and fly as close as they look (the Seer may be a tad more stable though).

If you only want a tiny bit more stable try to find one of the early run Tourneys in dark blue (all the ones I saw were 172g or 173g). They are a lot less domey and have higher PLH than any of the dozens of VIP Seers I compared it to. Slightly again more stable would be a Millennium plastic Polaris LS. I have a really beat in one that flies like a Seer now but starts off more stable.

If you want more than just a touch more stable I would try out a Polaris in Sirius or Quantum. They fly a lot like a shorter Teebird and feel very similar to a Seer (they use the Cheetah top).

I also have a Champ Circle Stamp Cheetah and it is near Banshee stable and a lot shorter than my Seer when new but I am sure it would beat into something awesome if I just stuck to it.

I'm hoping the new Maul will have a bit more HSS than the Seer. I dig the Seer but it has more turn than my EchoStar Leopards.

You're going to be disappointed. The maul is pretty understable. More than the seer for sure.

I don't know if you'd be interested in this or not but you said more OS than the Seer in the original post so the lat64 spark which will be out soon is something to consider. More than a few people told me it's a perfect eagle-x replacement for them. Might pair great with a seer and be able to handle some headwind.

Note the OP wants a SMALL DIAMETER disc with same rim width. Rivers are a lot wider, both in diameter and rim (PDGA and westside list the Seer as 1.8cm but it is fact 1.6cm, verified by my fancy calipers).

When you get to 1.6cm rims you are pretty much limited to Leopard, Cheetah, Gazelle, Polaris, and JLS.

If you check out the Seer thread I have some pics up of my Tourney Seer next to a DX Cheetah. They look nearly identical, and fly as close as they look (the Seer may be a tad more stable though).

If you only want a tiny bit more stable try to find one of the early run Tourneys in dark blue (all the ones I saw were 172g or 173g). They are a lot less domey and have higher PLH than any of the dozens of VIP Seers I compared it to. Slightly again more stable would be a Millennium plastic Polaris LS. I have a really beat in one that flies like a Seer now but starts off more stable.

If you want more than just a touch more stable I would try out a Polaris in Sirius or Quantum. They fly a lot like a shorter Teebird and feel very similar to a Seer (they use the Cheetah top).

I also have a Champ Circle Stamp Cheetah and it is near Banshee stable and a lot shorter than my Seer when new but I am sure it would beat into something awesome if I just stuck to it.

Thank you I'll have a look at GGGT tomorrow.

I did try a Thief. I found it guilty of being too fast for this spot. (Now it is a Covict. Haha a little DD humor to celebrate GBO day 1). It actually does have the rim design of the Seer but fast. I bet my FH crazy 9-year old is gonna love it. It's a perfect stability and speed for his flick.

I started throwing some old champ Valks and this has taking away the squirrelly Hatchet issue.

You're going to be disappointed. The maul is pretty understable. More than the seer for sure.

I don't know if you'd be interested in this or not but you said more OS than the Seer in the original post so the lat64 spark which will be out soon is something to consider. More than a few people told me it's a perfect eagle-x replacement for them. Might pair great with a seer and be able to handle some headwind.

I ordered a Maul anyway but the Spark sounds more interesting. I like slower narrow rim fairways because I have a lot more control with a fan grip. I'm vacillating between a Saint Pro and a Bio Verdict for moderate headwinds, but the speed gap is broad.

Latest posts