• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch Lakeside vrs Flyboy vrs Flip City

Could be the owners of the place who are smart enough to know that a spot atop DGCR's top 10 would provide a great deal of free advertising. They've invested a boatload of cash into their place and likely want a return on their investment.

I don't have any problem with anyone making a profit off of disc golf. But Selah's shills definitely violate the spirit of this website. And I don't discredit the trusted reviewers giving it 5 stars either...but I'd like to see 25 reviews on these courses from real disc golfers.

nothing compares to the amount Flip and Idlewilde 3 sentence reviews where they just joined to write 1 review. Just use your brain. I assume that most people on here will do that, especially if they have to drive hundreds of miles to play said coursed. If you filter out all but trusted reviewers, then you are left with valid opinions from "real golfers". If you rely on them, it doesn't matter how many of them have reviewed it, you either trust their opinion or you don't.

Last edited:
Could be the owners of the place who are smart enough to know that a spot atop DGCR's top 10 would provide a great deal of free advertising. They've invested a boatload of cash into their place and likely want a return on their investment.

I don't have any problem with anyone making a profit off of disc golf. But Selah's shills definitely violate the spirit of this website. And I don't discredit the trusted reviewers giving it 5 stars either...but I'd like to see 25 reviews on these courses from real disc golfers.

That's just as asinine as suggesting that John Houck reviews his own courses, or more. Go play Selah, meet Dave and Candy, and then come back and put your foot in your mouth.

Its a christian retreat for gods sake. You won't trust 4 trusted reviews so you probably wont believe me, but Dave and Candy are to of the nicest, kind hearted, and welcoming people I have ever met. They are humbled by what Selah has become, they are a far far cry from money grabbers.

They have put tens if not hundreds of thousands dollars into those courses. Don't be an ass, be grateful or at least give them the benefit of the doubt until you've been there yourself.

I don't believe Mike was saying that he doesn't trust the Trusted Reviewers, or that the course isn't as good as its rating, or that the "shills" boosted that rating.

He was saying that the "shills" boosted the number of reviews to clear the 25-review threshhold and get it on the front page of DGCR.

Utterly without evidence and far far into the conspiracy-minded realm, but I believe that was his actual accusation.

My home course is Idlewild and think it is one of the best. Then i went to Flyboy and played, back when you still played the hole straight up the middle of the runway, and thought it couldn't get any better. This past month went to Selah, and for total golf experience, it is better. Having two awesome courses and golf carts and two other courses that have great potential right down the street. It's the best I have seen. As for course to course which is better I would say Flyboy, but if going somewhere for weekend to play Selah, No doubt about it. Hoping to play Flip this summer but my buddy who made all these trip with me, says it great but no where near Flyboy or Selah.

I haven't played the Selahs or Flyboy, but Flip City is not the best course that I've played. Don't get me wrong, I love Flip; but Maple Hill is tops for me. Maple Hill has the water that Flip lacks, multi throw holes, 4 different layouts, and still offers some of the fun and seclusion.

I haven't played Flyboy or Selah yet.

Flip City was a lot of fun, but Maple Hill, Highbridge Blueberry and Gold are a notch above. They are more complete courses. Flip City is a notch above Blue Ribbon Pines.

I don't think its really fair to compare flip to these courses because they are a totally differant style. Flip is a 30+ year old old school par 3 style course that when compared to other courses in that category is probably the best but when you compare it to state of the art championship level courses it doesn't stack up. That's not a knock on flip it just shows the growth of courses, equipment, and competitors with the sport. I live in MI and flip is ranked 2A for me in the state, my top 3: 1-toboggan course(when available), 2-bluegill, 2A-flip city. If you ever get to play toboggan I recommend it highly, its probably the best course iv ever played and it is certainly a championship level course. I think the important thing to consider here is the person reviewing the course. For a casual to intermediate player flip city is going to be a much more enjoyable experience whereas for an advanced to pro player looking for a more challenging thought provoking "golf" course the other stated options would probably be better. IMO of course.
I will be playing selah next week in am world dubs and I am very excited.

Last edited:
Flip city, Idlewild, and Holler in the Hills are on my played list. I would say that Flip is my favorite by far because I like the "home" feel that you get there. It is like the field of dreams of disc golf. Idlewild, on the other hand, is just an ass-whoopin.

Could it possibly be the designer who brags about designing the world's top rated course? You decide.

Mike, help me out here, because I'm mot quite sure what your point is.

I'm laughing, but I'm not sure if you meant for people to laugh at the joke itself or by the ridiculousness of the accusation?

I've always thought it was a little silly to worry about exactly what position any course is in on the top lists here. Not nearly enough people have travelled enough of the country to be able to even out the ratings across different regions. If a course is rated 4+, it's worth going out of your way to play. The top 10 is a fun thing, but it's not all that meaningful. With another decade worth of reviews and traveling players getting to a bunch of the top courses it might be worth arguing over hundredths of points, at this point it's just ridiculous.

Also, the idea that the Selah reviews are any different than the huge number of drive by reviews from excited locals on any other popular course on this site is simply not true. They're just newer so they don't have as many reviews by established players to even things out a little.

John, if you read the rest of this thread, I explained my point in more detail. What's funny are the reviews for Selah...specifically how quickly the place reached 25 minimum reviews to make the top 2 in the world.

I take it that you decided it wasn't the course designer behind the initial group of reviews? :)

FBA is the best of the bunch, Selah is nice but just doesnt have the personality that FBA has and is way less "fun". By this I mean to say that yeah Selah is difficult and challenging but you need fun holes too and Selah just doesnt have "it". Of course for Texas its a great course but the best in the world it is not. Id put Maple Hill way above it as well.

John, if you read the rest of this thread, I explained my point in more detail. What's funny are the reviews for Selah...specifically how quickly the place reached 25 minimum reviews to make the top 2 in the world.

Mike, I had read the rest of your posts, and I understood your point.

I take it that you decided it wasn't the course designer behind the initial group of reviews? :)

No, it was not the course designer, and, to be clear, I do not appreciate the insinuation that I would do something so disgraceful. Not even a little, and not even with a smiley face. Now let's please drop it and move on.

FBA is the best of the bunch, Selah is nice but just doesnt have the personality that FBA has and is way less "fun". By this I mean to say that yeah Selah is difficult and challenging but you need fun holes too and Selah just doesnt have "it". Of course for Texas its a great course but the best in the world it is not. Id put Maple Hill way above it as well.

I don't have near the courses played list that you have, but I haven't had as much fun at any course like I have at Selah's courses. One has come close, but I put Selah at the top easily. Everyone can have a different definition of fun.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Let's be fair in saying that it's pretty likely that all the top 10 courses on here have "Shill" reviews, but not try to point fingers at 'who may or may not' be creating them. For some odd reason I have the slight inclination to believe that those same courses probably are actually really great to play, and one or two bot-like 5 disc review is going to sway someone from wanting to play there.

the only Top 10 course i've played besides Selah is Idlewild. Lakeside easily blew Idlewild out of the water for me.

just found out that i'll be taking a XC road trip with a friend in August and we're taking the northern route. he golfs too and we'll be going through MN, WI, and MI so i'm hoping to play in Minneapolis, highbridge, flip & mason county, and where ever else we can fit it in.

^ while you are at mason county check out leviathan longs, sick nasty if you are looking for a challenging course.

Latest posts