• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

This course must really be amazing. Its hard to believe that a course without significant elevation change can be a 5 disc course and top rated on this site. Ask any dg'er what elements they love in good courses and elevation will be mentioned every time. A 5 should be "perfect in every way" according to Tim, yet lack of elevation comes up as a con in most Selah reviews. The other elements must be really outstanding to outweigh the lack of hills. Not doubting the reviewers just really suprised.

It is. I dont think elevation is an issue on Lakeside nearly as much as it is on Creekside. There is quite a bit of elevation on Lakeside, not only on the fairways but on the greens. Nothing like throwing off a mountian but there elevation out there.

I agree with that, I couldn't imagine giving a course with no elevation change a 5. Makes me want to go play them even more knowing that.

These courses aren't pancake flat by any means. The elevation isn't huge, but it is more than enough to make you notice and challenge you. On Creekside, I feel that the holes that I remember that have elevation change (#2 and #9) are better holes from the Red tee than from the Blue. From the Red tee they were reachable on the drive and played as a challenging par-3 for me, but the Blue tee was just a relatively simple par-4.

Here are some pictures from Lakeside.

They all have some kind of elevation change that makes you think more about your shot. The first one is an uphill putt. The second one is from the fairway where you can see that the basket is on a slope where getting the disc to the right spot will leave you your favorite type of putt (uphill, downhill, etc, whatever you prefer) or give you the one you don't like/have trouble with. The next two are drives where the elevation may affect the stability of the disc and/or the distance it travels. The last two are of another cool hole that has a downhill drive and an uphill approach.

Yea, there are quite a few flat holes, but they are just as challenging and fun as the hilly ones.

Most of those pictures are in my album here. I may add more pictures to it later.

I believe lakeside is a 5, but creekside may be slightly inflated due to sharing the complex with lakeside. Coming from people I've spoken too about it and the reviews in general. I do want to get out and play the courses and can do it from a totally unbiased perspective. I love me some Flyboy but I love disc golf in general even more. :)

^well said.

Creekside will not stand the test of time and will eventually be voted/rated down. But by then Lakeside will be in its rightful place at #. I've haven't played flyboy but I'm thinking it beats out lakeside for #1 if it was listed.

I don't understand why the people who reviewed Creekside aren't reviewing Lakeside. I can't imagine going there and not playing both courses.

A person might not have the time or might have physical limitations. It just gives them another reason to come back.:clap:

And it's the course that doesn't deserve it IMO. I have Lakeside as one of the top 3 courses I've played, and Selah as a whole is one of the best disc golf destinations out there but I didn't think Creekside stacked up as a #1 course.

Good thing for Selah that your opinion isn't the only one that matters. ;)

Have any of you played tyler?

I have seen video of the ranch its nice the designer is world class and a great advocate for the sport. Its getting a little more 5 star local reviews than it should. I have not played this course But when I go to texas I plan on it.

For you locals whats the best time of year to play texas disc golf, not to hot/humid. Also anyone know the closest airport to this course. Whats the coldest texas gets in winter, Is it playable for dg? Not trolling honest Question.

Have any of you played tyler?

I have seen video of the ranch its nice the designer is world class and a great advocate for the sport. Its getting a little more 5 star local reviews than it should. I have not played this course But when I go to texas I plan on it.

For you locals whats the best time of year to play texas disc golf, not to hot/humid. Also anyone know the closest airport to this course. Whats the coldest texas gets in winter, Is it playable for dg? Not trolling honest Question.

Yes. and after 7 years I decided I won't play anymore events there.

Courses could be great....but they aren't as 4-5 holes ruin each one.

Or are you talking about Tyler State park? I liked that course.

And it's the course that doesn't deserve it IMO. I have Lakeside as one of the top 3 courses I've played, and Selah as a whole is one of the best disc golf destinations out there but I didn't think Creekside stacked up as a #1 course.

If I had the opportunity to bump Lakeside into the number 1 spot I would have, I had to settle with creekside.

Lakeside only has 17 reviews, but all of 'em are 5.0 ...probably just a matter of time.:popcorn:

Tyler St Park is very nice, but not elite. I haven't played Selah, but Tyler wouldn't make my top 5 or 10 from the limited courses I've played. It's not a knock, it just isn't great. Then again, we all have our own personal preferences.

Tyler St Park is very nice, but not elite. I haven't played Selah, but Tyler wouldn't make my top 5 or 10 from the limited courses I've played. It's not a knock, it just isn't great. Then again, we all have our own personal preferences.

I don't think he was talking about Tyler State....just wasn't sure if he meant the three courses in Tyler, TX on the same property.

Tyler state made sense if not due to his location.

I also agree that while is is a good course it isn't in my top 10.

I believe he's speaking of Pennsylvania. Moraine is currently #15; on this site, I believe. Tyler is currently #10.

Last edited: