• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

Played both courses yesterday and had a fantastic time. We decided to arrive a little earlier than we initially planned and ended up starting around 11:15am. Dave gave us his blessing to ride three to the cart, probably because we're all fairly small people. It took us around an hour and forty-five minutes to play Lakeside, and roughy two hours and fifteen minutes to play Creekside. Hole seven on Lakeside kicked us around, cost us three discs, and sole our proverbial lunch money, so thanks for recommending burners. Ours our currently at the bottom of the lake looking for a good home. :p

We took our time and enjoyed the natural beauty of the property and the engineered beauty of the Hauck design. With the looming threat of a potential sale, I'm really glad I was able to experience Selah Ranch. Thanks all for your help and recommendations!

I would like to follow up mrclc in his thanks to the helpful posters on this thread. I was the other thrower on the card and must say I appreciated the recommendations! I'm new to the majesty of DGCR and can't wait to pick up more wise tips from the Yodas of disc that frequent this site :D

Thanks again and happy throwing!

"Majesty"! Wait'll you run into all the people on my ignore list. :p

Glad ya'll had a great time. I'll never run out of superlatives for that place. I got out there in April with my bro, and we both said the same thing the moment we heard about the sale: glad we were able to have made it. It's an unbelievable course, and a special place. Also pretty distinct from the courses up in the northeast/midwest, where you seem to have played the most.

I managed to only lose one disc in the 2+ rounds during my visit, and it was making a run on the island on 7 Lakeside. Shorted it by just a few feet: water was really high that day, and I'm convinced I'd have made it had it not been. It was a bummer to miss the shot, but worth losing a disc for the shot at glory!

mrclc and msjrm, thanks for reporting back, and I'm glad you enjoyed the trip and the golf. THAT is how you disc -- massive impromptu road trip to play a couple rounds at one of the best DG sites ever to exist. Well done!

Johto Village has some very fine reviews up of Creekside and Lakeside. There were several points that I found really interesting.

I was struck by how much he pumped up the closing holes of Creekside. I understand the love for 16, but found 17 and 18 a bit underwhelming.

I also liked that he made special mention of 15 Creekside. I also enjoy that hole: it just comes at the perfect time in the round.

Speaking of 15s, I had had a similar reaction to 15 Lakeside: a truly special hole that doesn't seem to get talked about enough. I was glad to see him single it out as a transcendent hole.

I disagree with the idea that Creekside has less "average" holes than Lakeside. I felt the opposite, that it was Lakeside that maintained a better level of consistency. Several of the shorter holes Johto didn't like seemed to me to be well-calculated to break things up from the memorable behemoths. But I also predominantly played from the short tees (while often having a look from the blues, and playing some of the more interesting holes from the blues as well), so perhaps that's what accounts for the difference of opinion.

It's just fun to consider his points and where I agree or differ. It's some great reviewing of some great courses. I look forward to seeing what he has to say about Trey Ranch.

Johto Village has some very fine reviews up of Creekside and Lakeside. There were several points that I found really interesting.

Thanks for the props. It was a wonderful experience to play both courses. On my ratings, I do feel that Lakeside is definitely a better course. I know that may sound confusing considering I gave them both a 4.5, but Creekside is much closer to a 4.25 for me and Lakeside is closer to a 4.75. But I had my reasons for rounding where I did.

I was struck by how much he pumped up the closing holes of Creekside. I understand the love for 16, but found 17 and 18 a bit underwhelming.

From the short tees I could see both 17 and 18 being very boring, but from the long tees hole 18 is just an amazing hole. Really a great challenge, especially if there is wind. Hole 18 from the shorts looked to be a lot easier.

Speaking of 15s, I had had a similar reaction to 15 Lakeside: a truly special hole that doesn't seem to get talked about enough. I was glad to see him single it out as a transcendent hole.

Hole 15 at Lakeside was truly an amazing hole, as was hole 15 at Creekside. Long doesn't always mean good, and short holes can be amazing. Hole 15 at Creekside really worked for me and hole 15 at Lakeside was a perfect example of an option hole working really well.

I disagree with the idea that Creekside has less "average" holes than Lakeside. I felt the opposite, that it was Lakeside that maintained a better level of consistency. Several of the shorter holes Johto didn't like seemed to me to be well-calculated to break things up from the memorable behemoths. But I also predominantly played from the short tees (while often having a look from the blues, and playing some of the more interesting holes from the blues as well), so perhaps that's what accounts for the difference of opinion.

Yeah, keep in mind my perspective was from the long tees. I waited about two weeks to review the courses after reviewing the videos I took, pictures, etc and I just couldn't shake the idea in my mind that Lakeside had too many average holes. HOWEVER, I gave the course a 4.5 so obviously the good outweighed the average.

I look forward to seeing what he has to say about Trey Ranch.

I am still sifting through my pictures and notes on these courses. Should have the reviews up soon. The Trey courses have a lot going for them for sure.

I actually originally planned on rating Creekside a 3.5 (blasphemy, I know) and Lakeside a 4.5 - after looking at my pictures again I realized I was being too hard on Creekside as I was really soured by holes 7 through 10. But in the end I realized the course was really great and really only had one major design flaw (hole 10).

Good to hear your thoughts, JV!

Thanks for the props. It was a wonderful experience to play both courses. On my ratings, I do feel that Lakeside is definitely a better course. I know that may sound confusing considering I gave them both a 4.5, but Creekside is much closer to a 4.25 for me and Lakeside is closer to a 4.75. But I had my reasons for rounding where I did.

That makes sense. I too have courses that I've rated the same but feel one is clearly stronger than the other.

from the long tees hole 18 is just an amazing hole. Really a great challenge, especially if there is wind.

Makes sense. The course was incredibly windy (~20+ mph gusts) the day I was there and 18 long looked terrifying.

I am still sifting through my pictures and notes on these courses. Should have the reviews up soon. The Trey courses have a lot going for them for sure.

Indeed. Trey Deuce struck me as the weakest of the four courses, personally: very up and down in quality, with some amazing holes and some bland ones. 15 is my favorite tunnel shot of all time, and 18 is my favorite closing hole ever. I loved Texas Twist, mostly for the wooded stretch in the middle. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts!

I really enjoyed the reviews by JohtoVillage. I'm one of the guys that likes Creekside better than Lakeside. To me, and for my game, Creekside kept the pressure on for the whole round without "breather" holes (as JohtoVillage calls "average"). I haven't reviewed the courses. I would rate them both at 5. I can't imagine a better disc golf experience.

I really enjoyed the reviews by JohtoVillage. I'm one of the guys that likes Creekside better than Lakeside. To me, and for my game, Creekside kept the pressure on for the whole round without "breather" holes (as JohtoVillage calls "average"). I haven't reviewed the courses. I would rate them both at 5. I can't imagine a better disc golf experience.

Thanks for that. Both were great courses and courses I wish were closer to home!

Good reviews, Johto. Fun to read. In this thread we've talked about many of the holes you singled out. Creekside #10 and #16 and the finish, Lakeside #2, #4, #7, and #15 oh and of course #14.

The wind really does make a huge difference. I've spent 8 days playing at Selah now, and the beauty and challenge can quickly become rage-worthy when it's howling. Well, as much rage as you can muster when you're playing DG at a place like this -- which isn't much rage at all.

I'm getting ready to book flights for my spring trip, so I wrote Selah to ask what the odds are that the courses will still be available. Rebecca, the General Manager, replied with information that matches pretty well with what people are already reporting in this thread:
"
Selah is for sale although the courses will continue to run. As I'm sure you know, a place like this typically takes a long time to sale[sic]. Dave has also talked about just selling the Inn and keeping the courses and perhaps building even more. Chances of not being able to play are slim to none!!!
"

Video tribute to my last guys' spring trip is below. The back-story is that somehow we got on puns about the TERN. I don't remember how -- there was a lot of Shiner involved. But anyway, it was all TERN puns, all the time (It's your TERN, ooooh that didn't TERN over, hurry up man you're taking an eTERNity, etc.). I don't throw TERN, but a couple of the other guys were bombing them. So anyway, that's where the music comes from.

geoloseth wrote in a review about Creekside:
"
I also still maintain that some planted trees on hole 10 would add some needed difficulty to an otherwise straight forward 1000' hole where distance is the sole separator of players.
"

Did you mean #8 instead of #10?

PDGA Am World Doubles scheduled for Selah (and Trey) at the end of May. So presumably it's highly likely the courses will continue to exist at least that long.