• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

As a primarily LHBH thrower, hole 2 Lakeside is my kryptonite. I have found great success in throwing something super flippy and letting it roll to the clearing in the trees (road), but with the hill, wind, trees on the teebox, and of course lake, it's an extremely risky shot.

I COULD flick something and play safe, but I have yet to find a good landing spot. Something too OS won't go far enough to give me an upshot (due to the trees nested at the corner of the lake and the pin being back and right of them). Something more neutral flicked will land closer to the edge of the lake, therefore making the LHBH approach through the gap extremely difficult to land for a par putt. It would have to hook/skip way too much, and the position of the pin being on a steep hill next to water doesn't help.

It's a good thing your Am World Dubs partner is a righty :)

One of the many things I love about Lakeside is that the lake is left of the fairway for a couple of holes and right of the fairway for a couple.

Yes, specifically #2 and #18 both being 2-shot holes on one side of the lake with the water opposite on each, while #4 and #7 are both 3-shot holes on the other side of the lake, with water opposite each other. It's a thing of beauty.

3d56c50b.jpg

It's short notice, but we have about 250 GStar Destroyers available as a fundraiser for the 2014 PDGA Amateur World Doubles championships.

We made them available yesterday to players registered for the tournament, and we sold about 200 in a few hours. We are now making the remainder available to YOU. They won't last long.

GStar is Innova's new Star blend that adds extra grip and flexibility to the famous Star plastic. All the profits from this sale will go directly into the event. The discs are $18 each plus shipping and handling. Texas and Kansas residents will also have to pay sales tax.

The sale will open at 3:00 Central today (Sunday) . Once they're gone, they're gone.

Here is the link: http://www.circularproductions.com/wordpress/new_gstar_destroyer/ You can see the information now. If you refresh the page at 3:00, you'll be able to order.

Thanks for your support, thanks to Innova for making this offer possible, and thanks to Discs Unlimited for fulfillment help. Happy shopping.

I know I posted something about this before, but I'm still curious how Selah (and places like it?) handles the hosting of DG events, when they have paying bed-and-breakfast customers who are there for the golf?

Example: John just posted that there will be some pre-Am-World-Doubles events:
"
More to follow, including details on these three events:
Saturday, March 1st at Selah. Hot Round Showdown #2 -- Can you set the course record for your division?
One round on Lakeside, one round on Creekside.

Saturday, March 22nd at Selah. Bring Your Partner Doubles.

"

I've had Spring reservations at Selah since October for my group of 7 guys, going there specifically to play golf. It turns out it's not on either of the dates listed above. But what if it were?

As a guy dropping a lot of money for this trip, I'd be fairly pissed if Selah scheduled an event that might attract 30, 40, or more golfers to be on the courses while I'm there. As a paying customer who knows what they have there, I don't expect exclusivity.....but I also don't expect a bunch of foursomes playing an organized event. Does anybody understand that? Or am I being unreasonable?

What's the right view here? Is that just a risk that the bed-and-breakfast guests take? I can see it from both sides. I mean, presumably Selah is making some money off the event too. It's obviously their place, and their right. But at the expense of pissing off the people who are also dropping loads on lodging?

If you truly want to be a Disc Golf Destination, and attract people to stay and play, should you be scheduling events on top of guests?

Or do you think Selah takes all this into account? As in, before they give the okay for an event, do they make sure that none of their guests on that date are there for the golf? I find that highly doubtful. Are there other bed-and-breakfast types place, that also have golf, that also host events? If so, how do they handle it?

I would have no worries about any of that. All cabins around tournaments held there were pre booked for AM dubs, meaning only players of event could grab one. I was told the property itself is like mile plus squared. county highway to county highway...Its huge dude. How you gonna be #1 not knowing what your doing? I think someone's afraid of hype :cool:

I know I posted something about this before, but I'm still curious how Selah (and places like it?) handles the hosting of DG events, when they have paying bed-and-breakfast customers who are there for the golf?

"
Saturday, March 1st at Selah. Hot Round Showdown #2 -- Can you set the course record for your division?

"

I've had Spring reservations at Selah since October for my group of 7 guys, going there specifically to play golf. It turns out it's not on either of the dates listed above. But what if it were?

As a guy dropping a lot of money for this trip, I'd be fairly pissed if Selah scheduled an event that might attract 30, 40, or more golfers to be on the courses while I'm there. As a paying customer who knows what they have there, I don't expect exclusivity.....but I also don't expect a bunch of foursomes playing an organized event. Does anybody understand that? Or am I being unreasonable?

What's the right view here? Is that just a risk that the bed-and-breakfast guests take? I can see it from both sides. I mean, presumably Selah is making some money off the event too. It's obviously their place, and their right. But at the expense of pissing off the people who are also dropping loads on lodging?

If you truly want to be a Disc Golf Destination, and attract people to stay and play, should you be scheduling events on top of guests?

Or do you think Selah takes all this into account? As in, before they give the okay for an event, do they make sure that none of their guests on that date are there for the golf? I find that highly doubtful. Are there other bed-and-breakfast types place, that also have golf, that also host events? If so, how do they handle it?

I think your over thinking this. The place is so big 30-40 extra people would go unnoticed. As far as I have seen they block out the ability reserve rooms when they are doing big events.

I think your over thinking this. The place is so big 30-40 extra people would go unnoticed. As far as I have seen they block out the ability reserve rooms when they are doing big events.

Hmmmm. I've been there.

30-40 would not go unnoticed. That's a whole bunch of walking 4-somes, while we're zipping around on carts. And of course there's no saying how many people could go to similar events -- perhaps many more. The availability of a 2nd course lessens the issue, but still. Again, as a paying customer, I'm dropping buttloads of money to stay on site and play the courses at my leisure. Why should I be inconvenienced by anything more than drop-in golfers driving in for the day (which I fully expect).

And by the way, we made our reservations before Am World Doubles was even announced. Yes, some people plan that far ahead. In many cases, it's required.

But I'm obviously not talking about the particular case of my vacation, since there is no conflict. I'm talking big picture here. Think growth. Growth of Selah as a Destination, and also growth of DG events. I'm thinking that perhaps Selah should set their event schedule 6 months in advance, thus giving their guests the ability to view the calendar and plan accordingly.

Last edited:

"

"

You are talking about them adding an event after you already made your res? If it's that big of a worry, then check and make sure while you are on the phone making your reservations. If they said it's all clear and then they added one, that would kinda suck. But hey, at least it's a long 36 hole set up.:thmbup:

I went to the pre-Am World Dubs event at Trey Deuce today and there were only 9 that showed up. There might be more for the one at Selah. I don't see there being any issue with the any event going on since we only did one course at a time. Even if there were 30-40 people during your stay it would be easy enough to get through if you're on cart. 90% of the guys I know at these events would get a quick casual through rather than hold them up.

By the way the singles course record for the full 18 on the Trey Deuce course is currently a 62. That is one tough course. Lots of 6-8" diameter stumps that need to ground down and I personally think a few holes need some serious tree trimming (hole 15-18 come to mind). But my gripes about bad tree kicks aside, Houck did a great job on the Trey Deuce course. I didn't get the play the Texas Twist. The family that own the property are awesome as well.

I went to the pre-Am World Dubs event at Trey Deuce today and there were only 9 that showed up. There might be more for the one at Selah. I don't see there being any issue with the any event going on since we only did one course at a time. Even if there were 30-40 people during your stay it would be easy enough to get through if you're on cart. 90% of the guys I know at these events would get a quick casual through rather than hold them up.

By the way the singles course record for the full 18 on the Trey Deuce course is currently a 62. That is one tough course. Lots of 6-8" diameter stumps that need to ground down and I personally think a few holes need some serious tree trimming (hole 15-18 come to mind). But my gripes about bad tree kicks aside, Houck did a great job on the Trey Deuce course. I didn't get the play the Texas Twist. The family that own the property are awesome as well.

Can you elaborate a bit on Trey Deuce? My brother and I are taking a trip to Selah in April, and trying to figure out if it's worth skipping Lindsey Park over.

From Late September Trey Deuce is worth playing, Texas Twist is not.

Texas twist still needed a TON of work last time we were there, whereas Trey Deuce only needed a lot of work.

The issues were all issues any new course faces, still lots of tree clearing to do, lots of brush to clean up, fairways were incredibly tight and alot of trees were marked for removal. They both have potential but Texas Twist was not fun throwing 400' holes with 2' fairways.

I'll put up a quick review of the course on the trey deuce thread. As Andy said though, the texas twist course was not ready to play so we stuck to two rounds on the trey deuce.

Wondering, do they have a pro shop and how well is it supplied. Thanks

Once more out state golfers review creekside, it will continue to fall. Lakeside will probably hold it's ground or at least last longer in the top 10. The only reason is because most golfers think a course must have elevation changes in order to be a five disc course. I think that it can be a 5 if the course can make up for the lack of elevation with other attributes. It is just tough for a mostly flat and lightly wooded course to be "perfect" in enough golfers eyes. As far as lakeside goes, a golfer with 750 courses played puts it in his top 3. That says a lot because it's measured against courses with more elevation available to their course designers. Just my opinion. Only time will tell.

Latest posts