• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

Ahhhh, I wondered about those woods -- the property lines on Google Maps made me wonder if that area was even available (I didn't dig any deeper for ownership), and I didn't walk into them to survey the terrain and/or wet-ness when we were there.

4-to-5 is an interesting thought experiment. I see what you're saying about the 2nd shot -- just not sure I agree. That gives me something to think/fantasize about.

Good stuff -- thanks for the insight.

I fully expect you guys to play the 4-5 hole several times next year and provide a detailed analysis. I think you'd need something to give players more incentive to be close to the water. A big line of trees (or imported yellow rope from USDGC) would be in order.

We'll play 4-to-5 if we can break away from playing Lake #14 over and over and over. I see what you mean about some trees, but please no #yellowrope.

Lakeside #14 is the hardest hole on the property for me, even beating out lakeside #7.

We went out and played this past weekend (2 rounds at lakeside, 1.5 rounds at creekside since my allergies are worse at creekside due to large fields. Lakeside 7 from shorts has a pretty reasonable route; fairway just short of trees/just through trees if the wind is forgiving, then either throw from there to the water or lay up to the shore and take a short putter across the water.

I took a 3 then a 4 on Lakeside 7 through my two rounds, no lost discs, no shots in the water.

Lakeside 14 on the other hand... First time through you really don't realize what options there are, I took a 7 on the first go around trying to weave down the middle.

By the second round I had realized there's a right for a flick/anny on the left side and a small area to land in where you have a small line to the basket. This improved my score on this hole by 2 strokes (took a 5 instead of a 7). It's still a tough hole with very very tight lines for an INT player.

Camping was beautiful this past weekend and there's no better way to play DG then in a golf cart!

Lakeside #14 is the hardest hole on the property for me, even beating out lakeside #7.

We went out and played this past weekend (2 rounds at lakeside, 1.5 rounds at creekside since my allergies are worse at creekside due to large fields. Lakeside 7 from shorts has a pretty reasonable route; fairway just short of trees/just through trees if the wind is forgiving, then either throw from there to the water or lay up to the shore and take a short putter across the water.

I took a 3 then a 4 on Lakeside 7 through my two rounds, no lost discs, no shots in the water.

Lakeside 14 on the other hand... First time through you really don't realize what options there are, I took a 7 on the first go around trying to weave down the middle.

By the second round I had realized there's a right for a flick/anny on the left side and a small area to land in where you have a small line to the basket. This improved my score on this hole by 2 strokes (took a 5 instead of a 7). It's still a tough hole with very very tight lines for an INT player.

Camping was beautiful this past weekend and there's no better way to play DG then in a golf cart!

I agree that 7 Lakeside is a happy medium of challenge and doability from the shorts (didn't try the longs, just gave it a look). I missed landing on the island on my second shot by 5 feet or so; awesome, adrenaline-pumping decision to go for it rather than continue up the shoreline. One of the most memorable disc golf shots I've ever had.

My brother and I both came away feeling Lakeside 14 is a daunting but reasonable challenge. I actually loved it, and not in a fully masochistic way - I think it's a great hole. He's a low 800 player and he parred it twice from the shorts easily by taking the rightmost hyzer route: he threw wide of the trees on his first shot, settling a bit after the hill starts sloping upward, and continue with that path to the basket. I tried the innermost hyzer line both times and came away with 5s, but was in position to card a 4 both times even after tree kicks; just missed tough-but-makeable putts. I always found there to be a throwable lane on the way back up the hill even after a tree hit on my second shot: it's just a matter of resituating and finding a new route once you've gotten kicked off your intended one. I actually feel like the RHFH line is even more doable; I just don't have a FH.

I'm not sure what my nomination would be for hardest hole. Maybe 4 Lakeside? 3 Creekside? I'll have to have a think on that.

I'm not sure what my nomination would be for hardest hole. Maybe 4 Lakeside? 3 Creekside? I'll have to have a think on that.

Hmmm, hadn't thought about hardest hole. Ignoring Lake #14, I'd say Creek #3 jumps out as being difficult, unless the wind is way down.

Lake #18 long is impossible for me if the mando is observed. I would average well over 4 on that hole, regardless of my strategy and regardless of wind.

Lake #18 and Creek #3 aren't as bad for me. I 3'd them both rounds we played this past weekend (very light wind helped, and we played shorts).

Those holes are more "open" then some of the ones I had real troubles with. Here's my top 2 "hardest" (or hardest for me this past weekend) by course.

Lakeside #14, pretty obvious, it's not an easy hole
Lakeside #15 (for some reason I couldn't reliably hit the correct gap here to give me a shot at a 3)

Creekside #10 (heavily wooded + water hazard, leads me to a 4-5 every time it seems)
Creekside #1 Looking at it it shouldn't be hard, but I kept throwing too high off the tee and getting tangled in the trees

I shot pretty well this weekend on most holes (gorgeous weather and little wind).

Looking back, man do the pictures on here look different from the current course conditions.

Lake #18 and Creek #3 aren't as bad for me. I 3'd them both rounds we played this past weekend (very light wind helped, and we played shorts).

Those holes are more "open" then some of the ones I had real troubles with. Here's my top 2 "hardest" (or hardest for me this past weekend) by course.

Lakeside #14, pretty obvious, it's not an easy hole
Lakeside #15 (for some reason I couldn't reliably hit the correct gap here to give me a shot at a 3)

15 definitely has some disaster potential, but I feel like the lanes are wide and forgiving enough that it's not too much of a threat. Gorgeous hole that probably doesn't get talked about enough because of some of the other standouts.

Creekside #10 (heavily wooded + water hazard, leads me to a 4-5 every time it seems)
Creekside #1 Looking at it it shouldn't be hard, but I kept throwing too high off the tee and getting tangled in the trees

Creekside 10 is definitely a tough 3, but then again, that's an eagle, so that should be tough. I found it to be more grueling than hard: if you play your landing zones it's very doable, but trying to get ahead of that 5 pace is tough, especially on your second and third shots. I always found my third shot to be a bit of a layup to set up an easy approach towards the basket. Playing in to shoot over the creek is your best bet for a birdie or eagle, but that's a scary shot over the water with all those branches etc. Great risk/reward hole that forces a lot of decisions and strategic thinking.[/QUOTE]

Looking back, man do the pictures on here look different from the current course conditions.

Definitely. It's very full and green right now. Those wooded holes on Lakeside get scarier than they look on DGCR.

Honestly I never paid attention to what course par actually was, we just counted everything as 3's this weekend and added +/- to get our final score relative to 54 (ie. a +6 at lakeside meant a 60, which is actually 9 down from course par).

Those are just the 4 holes that gave me the most troubles. I love pretty much every hole of golf out there, well maybe not Lakeside #14, but it keeps me honest at least.

Did anyone see that it's for sale?

Anyone wanna go halfsies?

Seriously though, I'm sorry to hear that. What are the chances it sells to someone who's going to continue to maintain and operate the courses? My guess is it's not likely, which would be a huge shame and loss. Makes me glad I played it when I did.

That's sad news, we really enjoyed those courses and were hoping to see them again.

How many active members do we have on this site? If we all pitch in like $1000 we could have a DGCR owned community retreat.

I call dibs on the caretaker position.

I find it interesting that the realty listing doesn't mention disc golf at all, and only one photo features a disc golf hole.

^^ agreed. yet another course that may be RIP'd from my wishlist.

Let's hope some good christian entrepreneurs are huge DG fans :\

@ $1000 apiece we would need 6500 peeps + upkeep! Having stayed there and loved the place, I agree that 6.5 million seems more than fair.

Have any of you ever gone to Selah unannounced to play? I'm confused by the below.

E-mail conversation with Rebecca the General Manager:

Me: I saw the "For Sale" listing for Selah. Are the disc golf courses still open as the sales process moves forward?

Rebecca: Yes they are! Just still need reservations to play.

Me: Reservations? I've only played when staying as a guest, but I thought the public could show up and play any time. Is that not true?

Rebecca: The public can play. $20 per day per person. $40 for a cart per day (will sit two) BUT...we do have to have disc golf reservations.

Latest posts