• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

.....and if it doesn't remain open, I'll add it to the long list of closed private courses that were among my favorites, played or on my wish list, and repeat my somewhat self-serving refrain:

Cherish and support your local private courses. You never know how long you'll have them.

.....and if it doesn't remain open, I'll add it to the long list of closed private courses that were among my favorites, played or on my wish list, and repeat my somewhat self-serving refrain:

Cherish and support your local private courses. You never know how long you'll have them.

I've never even seen a private course.

Didn't the Ozark property get sold recently, and also keep their courses?

Not only are they keeping the courses, but they are planning a lot of improvements that were never possible under the previous owner like full time availability, improved camping areas and better tees.

I've never even seen a private course.

I was going to say that, if you ever get to South Carolina, I'll show you one. But, since you're in Louisiana, I'll skip that and say, Fuel up the tank and head to Selah Ranch, while you still can!

I was going to say that, if you ever get to South Carolina, I'll show you one. But, since you're in Louisiana, I'll skip that and say, Fuel up the tank and head to Selah Ranch, while you still can!

I agree. I made a trip to Selah coming from the Ft. Buhlow courses about a month ago and it's not a far trip at all. Make the trip out there!

Oh, no question it's possible -- I was just making my guess. If it were me buying the place, it would be strictly a business decision. Does the money generated by the courses (greens fees, cart fees, disc sales, and probably most importantly -- lodging bookings) outweigh the cost of maintenance (mowing, carts, pro shop, etc.). And not just outweigh, but outweigh by enough to make it worth it.

However, I think there's a good chance the new owners won't even bother to consider it. There's also the consideration that the disc golf traffic (and clientele) is driving away other lodging business, which would certainly fall on the negative side in a big way.

Of course there's always the chance it swings the other way and an enthusiast buys it, or simply someone willing to overlook the reality of the finances (if they're not net positive).

It's obviously not black-and-white. You have bookings for 4 days for people like me, who are there STRICTLY for the golf. But for all the non-golf-only bookings, is the existence of DG a value-add or a value-subtract? Tough call.

Didn't the Ozark property get sold recently, and also keep their courses?

Pretty much how I see it.

Also to add to the equation is that they are selling 1,000+ acres. The Inn, Coral House, Disc Golf Courses, etc only use a fraction of that. So the buyer is really buying two different things (Improved Land & Lots of unimproved ranch land).

I was just there last weekend and was surprised by how few people I saw on the course. It is a great destination place (the best or close to in the entire nation), but might be just a little to far from a major market to get the needed daily players to make full business sense.

We have reservations to go back in late October. Hope we get the chance to go.

Not only are they keeping the courses, but they are planning a lot of improvements that were never possible under the previous owner like full time availability, improved camping areas and better tees.

and they seem to be pretty enthusiastic about the courses there too.

the night i drove in for the Fall Harvest last year, i ran into the new owner's sons (i think) and they said the courses were staying and they seemed pretty stoked about the whole thing. and the new owner had great things to say at the player meeting too.

they also have plans to build a paintball course and a bunch of other outdoor activities on the remaining land as a draw to bring in more people.

good to hear they are planning better tees. that is the one drawback to that place and probably the only reason the Ozark Mtn course doesn't have straight 5 ratings.

Got back from there a few hours ago, still smiling and my arm is throbbing from 54 epic holes over 24 hours. Everything has been said about the courses, the cottages, etc etc so I won't bother, but I did sit down with the owners for almost an hour chatting so I thought I'd pass some info along.
1. Selling a property like that may take years, and they are not leaving the property or pulling the course in the meantime. Keeping up with the Inn takes a lot of time and money, and the owners are very active but older.
2. They may end up just selling the inn and building themselves another smaller house on the property. If so, they intend to keep the courses open and mentioned the possibility of adding another 18 holes.
3. They love disc golfers, and love those that pick up after themselves even more.

Thanks for the info, Bill, that's all great to know. It's nice to hear the courses stand a chance of remaining in use in the long term.

The thought of another 18 makes me salivate...

Dancing banana indeed; it will be a helluva day of golf!

You should snag some cheap throwers at the pro shop for water holes; I wish I'd done that before my first round on Creekside in particular. Even though I managed well that day (only lost one disc, a Lace on hole 7 Lakeside), I would have had a few less gingerly throws had I picked up a few throwaways before my first round.

Dancing banana indeed; it will be a helluva day of golf!

You should snag some cheap throwers at the pro shop for water holes; I wish I'd done that before my first round on Creekside in particular. Even though I managed well that day (only lost one disc, a Lace on hole 7 Lakeside), I would have had a few less gingerly throws had I picked up a few throwaways before my first round.

Like these?

10458596_10201940690109020_4168645073395526072_n.jpg

I'm pretty sure that all they have is used, uninked discs they've pulled out of the water. Might have some tournament stamped Innova, but it's mostly used. Though they have a *lot* of used.

Anybody play lately? I was wondering if anyone talked to Dave about selling the place and if the courses will stay.

Latest posts