• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Self Conscious about putting stance and foot faults

Gunslinger82

So in the past 2 months aka my entire DG playing career I was priding myself on being able to sink putts fairly well. Last night I was told there's a thing called a foot fault within 10 meters of the basket (33ft).

Well crap! I've been lunging left foot forward and fist raised in jubilation after landing my putter in the basket. I had no idea I had to keep both feet behind the mini. :doh: :doh::doh:

What do you do to keep your balance when putting? I feel like I don't have the same power or accuracy if I'm worrying about my feet.

Why not stand a couple feet behind your mini, so your forward momentum doesn't carry you past your lie? (assuming that is allowed)

Why not stand a couple feet behind your mini, so your forward momentum doesn't carry you past your lie? (assuming that is allowed)

It's not. The lie is only 30cm long (approx 1 foot).

Use common sense for demonstrating balance. As long as there's a definite break in forward momentum before you pass your lie, that's usually sufficient. Also note, the disc does not have to be in the basket before you advance past your lie as long as you properly display balance.

So in the past 2 months aka my entire DG playing career I was priding myself on being able to sink putts fairly well. Last night I was told there's a thing called a foot fault within 10 meters of the basket (33ft).

Well crap! I've been lunging left foot forward and fist raised in jubilation after landing my putter in the basket. I had no idea I had to keep both feet behind the mini. :doh: :doh::doh:

What do you do to keep your balance when putting? I feel like I don't have the same power or accuracy if I'm worrying about my feet.

Raise your left leg back behind you instead of stepping forward. This will counter balance the weight shift from your putting so you can stay balanced easily. That and practice. Its not that hard once you get the hang of it.

It's not. The lie is only 30cm long (approx 1 foot).

Use common sense for demonstrating balance. As long as there's a definite break in forward momentum before you pass your lie, that's usually sufficient. Also note, the disc does not have to be in the basket before you advance past your lie as long as you properly display balance.

Thanks for clarifying, brad. I remember reading something about it in the "size of the lie" thread, but was too lazy to go back and look on my phone.

Learn to straddle putt. Line up with the basket with your shoulders matching the band, your hips matching the cage, and your head looking straight at the number plate. You can favor one leg if you'd like but the straddle putt leaves you with a much better sense of balance. It's also one that allows a comfortable stance for shooting on sloped greens or around obstacles. :thmbup: