• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Send help. Backhand player gone forehand

Impossible0ne

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 3 months; baseball 8 years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: OH almost exclusively
Golf Distance (consistently*) Aviar 20'; Proton Neutron 30'-100'; tee bird 100'-150', wraith 380'

**used to throw colossus 380-400' accurately but now, it just ends up falling out of the sky at around 380 and spins out right.. throwing my whole game off, because I really don't like the flight path of the wraith as much as I was getting with colossus

Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: I suck at backhand
Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball, etc
Additional Information: Author's discretion
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:
-My game 150-300ft needs major improvement.
-I am SO confused on what to do in any sort of wind
-I dont know if my issue with the collosus is due to throwing the wrong driver for forehand or what to do.
-I suck with my firebird, like atrociously.

Bag:
Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
169 champion Vulcan pop top 6/10
170+ champion colossus 6/10
??? Pro wraith 6/10
??? Dx wraith 4.5/10
??? pro shryke 7/10
??? Champion Leopard
pro Firebird 8/10
dx teebird 3/10 short heizer tosses

Mids:
??? Proton Neutron 7/10 under 200' set ups. + accuracy based shots, longer than 30' putts.
(favorite disc in bag)

Buzz super soft 7/10 (used for not understanding why people love this disc so much)

Putters:
x2 Aviars 7/10 (not too much of a fan.. would like something with less of a bead would like it to float out of my hand like my neutron does, I often use my neutron for putts... and am more accurate with it)

I have more in my bag, but these are my main tossers. the rest I use more for practice than anything else.

Additional info:
I'm wanting to try out
-XXX
-Champion Boss/Destroyer 170ish flat
-Champion Vulcan 169ish pop top
-Champion Firebird (flat) 170+
-nuke (champion)
-katana (soft side)

-DX+Champion+ teebirds
-Luna putter
-mako3
-sidewinder

Specific areas of desired feedback:
my goal is to be versatile and get to a consistent under par player.

Explore some options of wind.
Explore other driving options for forehand dominant players I feel like Im overpowering most discs or improperly throwing them for forehand in some way.
Explore Mid range options 200-300ft

Any and all help is very appreciated <3 I think this next wall in my game comes to learning discs for my new technique.

Last edited:
Overstable putter/mid- Zone,
Straight FWY- Champ Teebird
OS FWY- Champ Firebird

You don't really need more high speed drivers. I don't know what a super soft Buzzz is nor Proton Neutron. Pro D Buzzzz maybe? Then some MVP disc. If you do like to OH for power I've heard and seen the Epic as the longest disc. Also the Nuke OS as well if you got serious power. That is 400+ OH shots. Your current high speed drivers are probably flippy for OH shots.

Overstable putter/mid- Zone,
Straight FWY- Champ Teebird
OS FWY- Champ Firebird

You don't really need more high speed drivers. I don't know what a super soft Buzzz is nor Proton Neutron. Pro D Buzzzz maybe? Then some MVP disc. If you do like to OH for power I've heard and seen the Epic as the longest disc. Also the Nuke OS as well if you got serious power. That is 400+ OH shots. Your current high speed drivers are probably flippy for OH shots.

I'll go grab my bag right now. I wrote this pretty late off the top of my head.

Really? a teebird? How far will that go if I'm throwing it well?
I've heard of the epic, what brand is it? Is it the aerobie?

I was considering buying a nuke, destroyer, and firebird in champ.

UPDATE: Neutron Vector is my mid range

and ESP Buzzzz is the one I have

Last edited:
I'll go grab my bag right now. I wrote this pretty late off the top of my head.

Really? a teebird? How far will that go if I'm throwing it well?
I've heard of the epic, what brand is it? Is it the aerobie?

I was considering buying a nuke, destroyer, and firebird in champ.

UPDATE: Neutron Vector is my mid range

and ESP Buzzzz is the one I have

Vector is overstable I think which is fine. ESP Buzzz isn't a bad disc. I would suggest posting your form video in the technique help section for help. I would just venture to guess you have some wrist roll on the FH. You still want to release your wrist but not flip it over, if that makes sense.

Yeah the Epic is Aerobie. It's suppose to be great for OH power players. I'm guessing you have power if you are throwing 380 OH? That or a Nuke OS are great for power OH. You could try and Champ Nuke or Boss too. The more OS the disc the slower it's going to pan and thus fly further.

I think a Teebird is a great place to start to learn FH. It's still a little OS so you can't have terrible form but it will mask some flaws allowing you to throw FH's fairly well.

Vector is overstable I think which is fine. ESP Buzzz isn't a bad disc. I would suggest posting your form video in the technique help section for help. I would just venture to guess you have some wrist roll on the FH. You still want to release your wrist but not flip it over, if that makes sense.

Yeah the Epic is Aerobie. It's suppose to be great for OH power players. I'm guessing you have power if you are throwing 380 OH? That or a Nuke OS are great for power OH. You could try and Champ Nuke or Boss too. The more OS the disc the slower it's going to pan and thus fly further.

I think a Teebird is a great place to start to learn FH. It's still a little OS so you can't have terrible form but it will mask some flaws allowing you to throw FH's fairly well.

2 vids I can take at home not of release but in slowmo of form

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7e9zb23acqtq3kp/Movie 1.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/diu8o7ar7seeyar/20201003_142738_001.mp4?dl=0

Check this out. It looks pretty good to me really. Eagle has a great video though and probably can explain FH basics better then me.

The only thing I noticed is I think you want to be stepping first then starting forward, or delaying the forward motion slightly. But you weren't throwing the disc so maybe you don't do that normally?

That helped alot with footwork. The small right foot step first helps my rhythm be alot more smooth and calculated.

I've watched alot of vids but I liked his breakdown alot.

The part I think in my form that im unsure about is how well im doing wrist wise.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That helped alot with footwork. The small right foot step first helps my rhythm be alot more smooth and calculated.

I've watched alot of vids but I liked his breakdown alot.

The part I think in my form that im unsure about is how well im doing wrist wise.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Update.. That video actually ****ed up my throw even harder lol.. Now on my last step Im pushing up my torso and its making my straight line go nose up :(

BUT I hit my first ace today!!! On a short hole super hard heizer shot through trees. So hype !!! Maverick ftw