• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Serene Disc Golf Courses.

I second Ohtobediscing's mention of Ashe Lake in Brooklyn, MS -- just south of Hattiesburg. Doesn't get much more serene than this. The course is located in Desoto National Forest on Federal land....there is a $5 day pass fee per car, but you generally have the entire course to yourself. The course is about 4 to 5 miles into the forest, the only things close to it are a shooting range and Ashe Lake Nursery. There is very little traffic that passes by this area, and the course is heavily wooded, so a lot of the ambient sounds are blocked by the forestation.

I have played there many, many times and have only seen other people on the course, 3 times. Add to that, the beautiful lake, and some elevation changes, which is extremely rare for South Mississippi, and it is a must play, in my opinion.

Another enticing feature of Ashe Lake DGC is it's proximity to other great courses in the area...including, Paul B Johnson State Park, Tatum Trails, & Duncan Lake in Hattiesburg (about 8 miles away)....and Eagle's Landing two courses outside of Lumberton, MS. in Blackwater Creek Park (about 15 miles away)

Regarding the idea of serenity and 'mood' of a course, I wonder about courses that lead one out of civilization, gradually transitioning into the 'wild', only to reintroduce the player to civilization again gradually...

One might think that even though subtle, this process of journey to a place only to return 'home' reinforces a fundamental underlying concept of the game for the player and the intent of many designers - for are we not forced live life linearly with regard to the arrow of time? It seems at least a partial reason for ordinal holes & tee times.

The Angry Beaver in Charlotte has something of this type of 'process' in its design, regarding the relative 'wildness' of the holes and their sequence...

Last edited:
I like the way you think, Curmudgeon. Agree with the Angry Beaver comment. And I would say RL Smith (RIP for now) is very similar - a true 9-out and 9-in course. Aside from the houses that can be seen along the creek in the early goings, once you're out there, you're out there. And nothing could be finer.

Regarding the idea of serenity and 'mood' of a course, I wonder about courses that lead one out of civilization, gradually transitioning into the 'wild', only to reintroduce the player to civilization again gradually...

Without having thought about thought about serenity specifically like this it rings true for me.
Here are a couple courses known for their beauty and views. When I thought about the OP and these to courses I could think about the Bench on hole 6 and hole 9 at Stafford as well as holes 5 and 14 at Skyline. Locations it is nice to sit quietly, pause life and take in the tranquility surrounding you.

Stafford Lake
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=774
and Skyline Wilderness Park
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1827&mode=ci

Birds of Paradise, I have not played yet, but cannot help but be serene, miles away from civilization helps.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3009&mode=ci

Trap Pond - DE
The Goat Path - KY
501 - MA
Otter Brook - NH
Frost Valley - NY
Hyzer Creek - NY
Mine Kill - NY
Black Jack - NC
Sugaree - NC
Bootleggers Cave -PA
Camp Sankanac - PA
IUP College Lodge - PA
Rock Mountain - PA
Willow Valley - RI
Black Falls - VT
North Calais - VT
Hawk Hollow - VA
Mayflower Hills - VA
Moneta Park - VA
Mountain Lake - VA
Primland - VA
Timber Ridge - VA
The Woodshed/Whipping Post - WV

I like the way you think, Curmudgeon. Agree with the Angry Beaver comment. And I would say RL Smith (RIP for now) is very similar - a true 9-out and 9-in course. Aside from the houses that can be seen along the creek in the early goings, once you're out there, you're out there. And nothing could be finer.

Dry Creek in the CLT area comes to mind as well.

Trap Pond - DE
The Goat Path - KY
501 - MA
Otter Brook - NH
Frost Valley - NY
Hyzer Creek - NY
Mine Kill - NY
Black Jack - NC
Sugaree - NC
Bootleggers Cave -PA
Camp Sankanac - PA
IUP College Lodge - PA
Rock Mountain - PA
Willow Valley - RI
Black Falls - VT
North Calais - VT
Hawk Hollow - VA
Mayflower Hills - VA
Moneta Park - VA
Mountain Lake - VA
Primland - VA
Timber Ridge - VA
The Woodshed/Whipping Post - WV

Lots of serenity in VA... :)

Bucksnort - CO

Swards Ranch - MT
Battle Ridge - MT
Chico Hot Springs - MT
Rendezvous DGC - MT

Four Mound - WA

Clear Fork Reservoir in Mansfield Ohio.

Except for the fact that it's right next to Mid Ohio Raceway.

IMO it's more the timing of one's round that provides the serenity we're talking about. Most any course is pretty serene on a Monday morning. (Unless the grass cutting is scheduled for then.)

Perhaps the most serene round I can ever recall was playing IDGC Steady Ed one Christmas morning. Mine was the only tent in the campground. I still recall how the lake was smooth as glass. Not a single ripple, until some waterfowl landed on it.
It really was a perfect moment.

Lots of serene courses in the winter, too.
^ This, and playing early in the morning, too.

Amazing how serene some (but definitely not all) of the busier courses can get if you're willing to get your keester out of bed early on a weekend.
I also imagine serenity is easier to find if you get out on a weekday morning.

TVK gets his share of serene rounds... dude gets out there EARLY so he's back in time for breakfast with the Mrs.

Lake Claiborne State Park - Dogwood would be a winner. Your cell phone won't even work on the course. The only place I could get a signal (sometimes) was on the hill in front of the playground near the cabins. Whitetail is along the roadways, but a better course IMO. There isn't much, if any traffic though. Gettng a cabin and staying the weekend there with friends was one of the most fun "disc golf weekends" I've ever been on. We played it in early November and it was stunningly beautiful. Deer were abundant.

As far as courses in an actual town (not middle of nowhere) salmon falls has to be a contender. Beautiful property there way down a gravel road that feels like you are being led to a trap.

Middle of nowhere, HBH has to be up there, sugaree, and Prince Edward Island. But obviously not gonna see too many people at the Antarctica course either.

I value serenity highly. Much of it has to do with when you play (both in terms of busy-ness and time of day) and also with whom you play. I tend to play in small groups or alone, and I like playing courses that are as empty as possible.

I just recently did a review of Waller Mill park and mentioned its serenity. It's beautiful, and plays near a little lake which is visible from many holes, though through trees. In several times playing, I twice had a hawk of some sort fly within 20 feet of me. Very peaceful.

Here are some that come to mind. They were serene when played but may or may not be so typically:
Kings River DGC in Kingsburg, CA
Palmetto Bay Village Center in Palmetto Bay, FL
Branson Trails - Blue in Branson, MO
Harmony Bends in Columbia, MO
Nevin Park DGC in Charlotte, NC
The Lodge (both courses) in Pawhuska, OK
Moraine State Park in Portersville, PA
Canaan Riverbend DGC in Rock Hill, SC
Harmon Hills in Fall Branch, TN
Lester Lorch Park - Coyote DGC in Cedar Hill, TX
Selah Ranch Creekside in Talco, TX
Trey Texas Ranch - Texas Twist in Mt Vernon, TX
Waller Mill Park in Williamsburg, VA
Munden Point in Virginia Beach, VA
Orange Crush in Fairmont, WV
Whippin Post and Woodshed in Paw Paw, WV

(Some of these become less serene simply because of the physical demand of making it through the course.)

Sugaree and the Valle Crucis courses...close you eyes and listen, you will hear almost nothing. You're likely to be the only person on the course most days. At either course, I have probably seen 10 others, TOTAL, in 7 years of playing.

Whistler's Bend may have been the most serene course I've played. If you make the journey be sure to pack some extra water and a sack lunch! It features 27 holes over varied terrain in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Oregon boasts some premium disc golf but this one was one of the most memorable I've ever visited.

Whippin Post and Woodshed in Paw Paw, WV
Hard to get more away from it all than these. A visit here is just what the doctor ordered to decompress. Timberdoodle Thicket is another WV course that's as serene as they come.

Sugaree and the Valle Crucis courses...close you eyes and listen, you will hear almost nothing. You're likely to be the only person on the course most days. At either course, I have probably seen 10 others, TOTAL, in 7 years of playing.
These NC courses fit the bill as well.

Mmmmmmmaybe one day.... I'll get to play Sugaree.

Because they can limit traffic in a way most public courses can't, quite a few private courses offer the type of serenity public courses can't touch.

Last edited:
Definitely Rolling Pines. In all my visits I've seen three groups of disc golfers and no one else. No cars, no kids, no heavy disc golf traffic, and the course is as gorgeous as a park style course can get around here. Not extremely remote or anything, but since the course is just for disc golf and nothing else, it has a secluded, serene feel.

I'll back up armiller on Canaan in SC. It's a private course with a modest entrance fee. Except for running into a group on the rope adventure course and seeing people kayaking down the Catawba, all my rounds have been secluded and incredibly peaceful. Definitely worth the 5$.

Last I checked canaan was closed for renovations.

edit: seems they re-opened last weekend. I know what I'm doing this weekend! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts