• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Settling on a bag for Rugball

Rugball

Birdie Member
I've been playing DG with some earnest for about 8 mos, with more full rounds played over the last 5 mos. I'm mainly wanting to ensure that I don't have significant overlap/gaps in disc selection.

Throwing Style: RHBH, would like to learn better forehanding and overhead shots but I have some wrist problems so I try it only if needed to get out of trouble.
Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: 230/250'; 240/275'; 320/360'

Vitals:
Age: 46, Sex: M, Height: 6'2", Weight: 250lbs (ie – beefy)
Injuries/handicaps?: Right wrist issues mentioned above that prevent a lot of quick forward movement while flexing my wrist backward (eg – throwing a football for distance).
Other sport proficiencies?: Rugby; ball golf; weight training.

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I'm not necessarily "discing down" but I am reducing the hi-speed drivers to speed 11 or less. I felt as if there were diminishing returns using faster discs (ie – a few extra feet on a good throw, but more chance of shanking a drive).

Specific areas of desired feedback: Want to learn a consistent and effective forehand, and thumbers. Some disc recommendations for these based on my current discs would be helpful.

Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to reduce "strong-arming" throws, and throw better annhyzer shots.

I used a combination of the flight numbers from DGC and the flight chart on www.altitudediscgolf.com which are supposed to be Innova flight numbers, but for other brands too. I realize the numbers aren't the bottom line in terms of actual in-play use, but it's handy for highlighting similarities in discs.

Maker – Model – Plastic – Wt – Speed – Glide – HSS - LSS
Latitude 64 - Flow - Gold Line - 172g, 11, 6, -2, 1
(main straight to annhyzer drives, downwind shots)

Latitude 64 - Flow - Opto Line - 172g, 11, 6, -2, 1
(better wind resistance for straight drives in crosswinds)

Innova - Archon - Star - 175g, 11, 5, -2, 2
(open fairway, main max-D drives)

Latitude 64 - Riot - Gold Line - 172g, 11, 4, -1, 2
(low ceiling drives)

Discmania - TD Rush - S-Line - 172g, 10, 5, -2, 1
(New to this one. I got it for easier annhyzers)

DGA - Rogue - Proline - 174g, 10, 5, -1, 3
(Headwind drives)

Latitude 64 - River - Gold Line - 174g, 7, 7, -2, 1
(main fairway driver, control driver)

Innova - Teebird - Champion - 172g, 7, 5, 0, 2
(headwind fairway shots)

Midrange - Latitude 64 - Fuse - Gold Line - 176g, 5, 6, -2, 1
(Longer upshots, left-to-right approaches)

Midrange - Latitude 64 - Core - Gold Line - 176g, 5, 5, -1, 1
(General purpose approach shots)

Midrange - Innova - Roc - RWood-Pro - 180g, 4, 4, 0, 3
(Open approaches, right-to-left shots. Not sure which Roc mold this is)

Putter - Westside - Swan2 - Eco1 - 174g, 3, 3, -1, 0
(Main putter, longer putts, shorter upshots))

Putter - Vibram - Ridge - X-Link Firm - 173g, 2, 3, 0, 1
(General use putter, mainly inside the circle)

Putter - Innova - Rhyno - Champion - 172g, 2, 1, 0, 3
(Windy day putter, shorter approach shots)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Some additional discs I already own that could be swapped in or added. I normally keep some of these around for quick casual rounds with a small backup bag. No critique for said backup bag, just listing some additional gear that's available to me.
Putter - Latitude 64 - Pure - Zero Line - 172g, 3, 3, 0, 0
Putter - Legacy - Clutch - Protege - 173g, 2, 3, -1, 1
Midrange - Latitude 64 - Fuse - Gold Line - 177g, 5, 6, -2, 1
Midrange - Latitude 64 - Pain - Gold Line - 176g, 4, 4, 0, 2
Driver (D) - Innova - Valkyrie - Champion - 172g, 9, 4, -2, 2
Driver (D) - Innova - Archon - Star - 175g, 11, 5, -2, 2
Driver (D) - Innova - Wraith - Champion - 17?g, 11, 5, -1, 3
Driver (D) - Latitude 64 - Riot - Opto Line - 173g, 11, 4, -1, 2
Driver (D) - Legacy - Cannon - Icon - 173g, 14, 5, -3, 3
Driver (D) - Westside - King, VIP - 173g, 14, 5, -1, 4
Driver (D) - Legacy - Rampage - Pinnacle - 174g, 14, 5, -1, 4
Driver (D) - Innova - Vulcan - Star - 170g, 13, 5, -4, 2
Driver (D) - DGA - Hurricane - Proline - 173g, 12, 5, -1, 2

You've got a bit of overlap. Flows, Archon, Rogue, Riot and TD can all potentially overlap and there's not a huge gap in range b/w them. The Rogue is not a great choice for headwinds, you either have a freakishly stable one or something. It seems to me that you have a lot of discs that aren't broken in yet. I'd probably reduce some molds for awhile and see if you miss the others, like go Teebird, River (when broken in they do annys well) and Flows only for the drivers. Really see if you can make just those work.

Your midranges look good, the Rpro wood Rocs don't grow on trees though, you might not want to get too attached to it b/c if it breaks in too much finding another fresh one could be hard/pricey. Pain would make a good, more readily available, substitute.

You could definitely drop either the Swan or Ridge IMO.

The Fuse is a really good disc for learning how to throw with finesse and do annys, you could also go really old school and get a lid like a Polecat, Rattler, Birdie, etc if you really want to get down to disc fundamentals.

Cheers

You're right about the discs not being broken in. Combination of newness plus premium plastic. I had the impression that the rogue might work into the wind (fade = 3), but after a drive one windy day I think you're right. The riot seems to handle that situation better since it won't loft up so easily. The opto version might work even better.

Drivers
I suspected that the range would be about the same given the speed ratings of my drivers. I have a few faster discs, and the hurricane seems pretty straight and landed a bit farther in my testing. I like the cannon, but I didn't quite have control of it so I put it away for the time being. I'll reevaluate my driver lineup, maybe drop one of the flows.

Mids
The fuse is one of my favorite discs so that one stays with me always, plus I have a backup. I wasn't too worried about replacing the Roc since I got it from my secret santa and it seems like a good mold in general. Fun to throw and it's heavy so it sits down quick. I like the pain a lot and normally pair that one along with the fuse in my backup bag. It may rotate back into my regular bag.

Putters
I have 2 clutch putters now and they're pretty good choices too. Just getting used to the fairly stiff plastic. Forgot to mention that I'm generally a spin putter. I'm curious to try the MVP anode when they get in. For now, I'll probably hang onto both the ridge and swan2 until I decide to change it up. The rhyno isn't really necessary, but it does seem to fit the bill when it's breezy.

After I had one bad day of putting, I've been working a lot harder on practice putting. I picked up a few more putters as a result. Having extras makes practice much easier, even if they're not all the same mold/weight/plastic. I tried a wizard and eventually traded it away. Just didn't work for me, but I know a lot of peeps love them. It seemed way slower than my other putters. Live and learn.

Thanks for the input, and any other comments/suggestions are welcome.

Okay, so I put the GL pain back in my bag in place of the roc. Pulled off some very nice throws with it so it'll stay in the rotation.

Sadly, the GL flow turned and burned into a slight headwind. It was lost somewhere in the brambles. It's the 2nd GL flow that I've lost and I've only lost 2 discs. Just picked up a heavier *Destroyer in the MP so we'll see how I do with that. The archon is also heavier and I've done well with it so I think some added weight (175g vs 172g) in the drivers will help.

I dropped the ridge but might switch it in/out with the swan2 on occasion. I've been messing around with the anode and it's working well for longer putts. I was considering dropping the GL core and using the anode for approaches. Any thoughts on that are welcome.

Latest posts