• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Settling on discs for your bag

I still refuse to admit that my game just isn't that great. Obviously there are magical discs out there that will make me a better player so the never ending search continues.

Seriously though…. there are so many good discs out there that I enjoy throwing that I couldn't possibly bag them all at once. While there are some staples that never leave the bag I do tend to rotate discs out as the mood strikes me just for a change of pace. For example, I love the Vulture and throw it quite well. I haven't bagged it recently because it overlaps with other things in my bag but I might soon pull something out and make room for it for a couple of months just because I enjoy it.

This whole post saves me a bunch of typing. Even down to the Vulture part. I threw those a couple years ago and liked them, not even sure why they're not in my bag anymore. Kinda forgot about them until PmcB was throwing them at Texas States.

Then there's the fact that I throw all random loseable discs when there's snow on the ground, then end up digging a few, so they make the bag. They kick something else out in the process (Vultures :D), but I just like trying new to me discs out anyways so it's all good.

Honestly my bag doesn't change much. With my Envy getting more use lately, my Buzzz gets less. So I've been meaning to up my mid to a 6. A friend was dying discs so I gave him 2 Squalls to dye.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76702&stc=1&d=1648638430

The Z plastic didn't take well - at least its not clear anymore, lol. But the ESP looks awesome. This will probably be the only change I make this year barring any losses.

Attachments

• received_3063849233863636.jpg
    received_3063849233863636.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 14
One observation to add, based on my experience.

Field work does wonders for learning the feel of plastic and the flight of the disc. But it only goes so far predicting what you're actually going to lean on during the round. Course conditions (especially wind and woods) can create the need for very specific lines.

For example, I carry four mids: One turns over and glides, one is dead straight, one is mostly straight with some hookup at the end, and one fades the entire way in an arc. When I'm doing field work I'm always putting more time in with the first two, because I love watching flat laser beams and long gliding shots with late turn. But on a wooded course or a windy day, I almost always find the need for the other two, and they become the heroes of the day.

While I'm always trying to "settle" my bag, I've also learned the importance of keeping enough variety in there too.

As someone who can't settle on a bag at all I've sort of accepted that I'll always have discs moving in and out and that the desire for variation will always be there. And that's fine. I'm also a person who likes to set up plans and test different ideas. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent on planning out the "perfect bag" in regards to what slots needs to be filled, what types of discs should be in there, what plastics etc etc. However, the perfect bag isn't a thing, or at the very least it's always changing.

The best advise I can give is to make your decisions on what discs/slots you need in your bag based on fieldwork or on the course, not when you're sitting in your couch with a beer in hand and watching McBeth's in the bag for the 24th time. I think that as long as you really know how your discs fly (cliché I know but lots of players don't) and build your bag around your strengths you will perform well.

Latest posts