• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are your favorite 2 discs in your bag to throw?

I thought I was the only person in the world throwing a wrath. I love having a sub-160 driver that holds up to a full forehand rip. Don't know if it's gyro magic or something else but it's a winner.
One more member in the society: I have a Prism Plasma Wrath for straight and a mid 160s Neutron for stable.

The mid ranges and putters don't even feel right in my hand with a power grip. Feel big, clunky, and loose and wobbly, like I can't hold them snug - just awkward. IDK - I need to try all my mid ranges and putters with a power grip one more time, and if none will come out decent consistently, give up on that for now. I will work on my form and technique with drivers, and if I eventually find a breakthrough there, and get a lot better, then I can revisit whether or not I can get mids and putters to fly right. But yeah, putters with a fan grip, under 100', that is my comfort zone.
With my putters and most midranges, I use a modified fan grip....my fingers aren't fully fanned out. The index finger is curled over the rim with the first knuckle on the rim edge, but the finger tip doesn't touch the rim or flight plate; it just kind of hangs there. The second and middle finger are slightly fanned out; and the pinky is against the rim. That's the only way I can throw a putter or midrange with any kind of power.

Yeah - modified grips on mids and putters might be something I should play with, eventually. But, the list of what I want to try to improve my game is huge, and seems almost never-ending. Throw hammers and sledge hammer. My drive - I just read a few more tips I want to play around with - pretty sure I still got a lot of work to do to get power from my body transferred into speed to my disc. I know my brace isn't working right. My technique/form needs work, then every time I toy with one thing, it messes up my timing and/or other things. Ugh! 4 months in, and I feel like a beginner, drinking water from a fire hydrant! My reach back was decent once, but I got focusing on so many other things, and somewhere along the way I stopped getting a good reach back. Today - practice field - focus on brace and proper reach back. Always I need to work on relaxing my arm, and letting my body lead - pretty sure I have always been using mostly all arm and muscling the disc. Then, when I focus on 1-2-3 other things, I go back to rounding. Lol. Just falling apart. I feel like I know the things to do, but just too many things have to be right in such a short amount of time as one swing, that there is no way I can get them all. I work on one thing, and another falls apart. Is this normal?!!! I do feel like a breakthrough is just around the corner, but…. Maybe not - maybe a breakdown?! Lol. I will get snap - I just don't know exactly how or when yet! Practice field today - have my son video me Friday - go from there. Oh yeah - and putting. I use a unique form (crazy?) of spin putting, but I am actually decent at it. Putting is a strength, so I think I will leave it alone for now and work on my bigger issues, but eventually I may need to go to a more conventional spin putt to get maximum consistency, at least as far out as I can get using a conventional spin putt. IDK - so much to try to wrap my head around! I probably need a coach!

Yeah - modified grips on mids and putters might be something I should play with, eventually. But, the list of what I want to try to improve my game is huge, and seems almost never-ending. Throw hammers and sledge hammer. My drive - I just read a few more tips I want to play around with - pretty sure I still got a lot of work to do to get power from my body transferred into speed to my disc. I know my brace isn't working right. My technique/form needs work, then every time I toy with one thing, it messes up my timing and/or other things. Ugh! 4 months in, and I feel like a beginner, drinking water from a fire hydrant! My reach back was decent once, but I got focusing on so many other things, and somewhere along the way I stopped getting a good reach back. Today - practice field - focus on brace and proper reach back. Always I need to work on relaxing my arm, and letting my body lead - pretty sure I have always been using mostly all arm and muscling the disc. Then, when I focus on 1-2-3 other things, I go back to rounding. Lol. Just falling apart. I feel like I know the things to do, but just too many things have to be right in such a short amount of time as one swing, that there is no way I can get them all. I work on one thing, and another falls apart. Is this normal?!!! I do feel like a breakthrough is just around the corner, but…. Maybe not - maybe a breakdown?! Lol. I will get snap - I just don't know exactly how or when yet! Practice field today - have my son video me Friday - go from there. Oh yeah - and putting. I use a unique form (crazy?) of spin putting, but I am actually decent at it. Putting is a strength, so I think I will leave it alone for now and work on my bigger issues, but eventually I may need to go to a more conventional spin putt to get maximum consistency, at least as far out as I can get using a conventional spin putt. IDK - so much to try to wrap my head around! I probably need a coach!
This year I went backwards - on purpose. I took any disc over a 5 speed out of my bag. Did not play any tournaments. And I just started from the beginning. Practicing my putting in my backyard (I set my Mach 3 basket back to full size instead of marksman). Field work with my throwing, threw from a standstill for a couple of months. Then worked back up to a walk up. It's helped me out quite a bit.

I do find making changes is like standing dominos. One small change affects how they fall. I would get everything good doing a stand still and then things would fall apart with my walk up....I had to work on my pace so that all parts were at the correct speed.

My bag has sadly been in flux for the better part of two years. I think I am at a point where I have the bag pretty well organized and I am really liking all of the discs in the bag which makes it difficult to single out one. I did take out all the discs over 9 speed and the simplification has helped me some. I finally have the form/power to see the 7 5 -1 3 flight of an eagle which is strange because they have been in and out of my bag for 10 years and I never believed those flight numbers until recently. The Rhythm compliments the eagle so nicely and is fast becoming one of my favorites.

I think if I was forced to choose just two it would have to be my Soft Neutron Proxy and my Proton Insanity. Those have been in the bag the longest and I don't really see them ever coming out.

R-Pro Pig and probably my Star Teebird.

Runner up would be my new found love the TL3 for dead straight tight fairway shots that requires over 300 feet. Love watching that thing just glide dead straight down the fairway.

I have to honorably mention the MVP Orbital after throwing a few hyzerflips to cut-rollers in low ceilings last weekend. So ridiculous. Its like a Katana with less LSS and the HSS of a beat Mamba.

I just put a Buzzz back in my bag for the first time in a while and man did I miss that disc lol.

Definitely my Icon Clutch driving putter. No clue what disc two is here like most - it changes often. Been loving the Axiom Pyro...

Right now it's my Midnight Prowl 2 and Sky Walker (FD1).

They're the two newest discs in my bag. Coincidence?

(I'm falling back in love with my SVEA, but she's a fickle mistress)

The tursas is a solid choice, very cool BH disc and functional for a touch forehand.

I've been digging my old 172 comet and the OTB soft envy lately. Kind of a back to basics phase...
2023-09-1319.13.481693753294175616313.jpg

Last edited:
Leopard for the first. I love how it feels on a forehand, so far don't hate the turn and feel like it's a nice step up from a buzzz, but equally reliable.

Bolt on the second. I still have a slowish arm, but the Bolt doesn't care. FH or BH, this thing is straight for days. I guess I haven't really had it out in the wind yet, but at least when the wind is down, this is my driver of choice.

My two "go-to" discs are Latitude 64's FUSE and Westside's HATCHET. Both are fantastic "wind-cutters" especially in a head-wind. Being a senior (67) I don't have the strength or elasticity of younger players. Runner-up discs include my faithful putter, Westside's MAIDEN and a golden oldie, Innova's SKEETER.

My two "go-to" discs are Latitude 64's FUSE and Westside's HATCHET. Both are fantastic "wind-cutters" especially in a head-wind. Being a senior (67) I don't have the strength or elasticity of younger players. Runner-up discs include my faithful putter, Westside's MAIDEN and a golden oldie, Innova's SKEETER.
A couple of very good choices there. I put in some time with lightweight Hatchets, but after losing one I was concerned about the availability of replacements. And the Maiden was a dead straight upshot disc for me.

These days:

Fission Crave - straight with some turn (FH), reliable finish. Reliable, and "easy thrower."

Neutron Uplink - does anything asked of it, from 180' in. Glides forever, great for low ceiling upshots.

For me it's definitely the Envy and the Berg. There's so many that are close, and it kinda pains me not to say Crave or "warp speed bomber disc of the moment", but those are the two I'd just happily bring for a one disc round, and the only two discs I've even thrown that have never left the bag. Both the Envy and Berg have been in my bag literally since the first runs, and always make me smile and find great lines.

If we're talking discs that make me smile when I throw them, it's the Paradox and Tilt. I love some of the crazy shots I can pull off using them to get out of jail. BUT, they're pretty much only used when I've made an error, so if we're talking discs that come out a little more often, it's got to be a lightweight Star Tern I just put back in the bag (gotta love easy distance on calm summer days) and my Zones. Both are discs I reach for a little too readily and try to force shots with instead of throwing something that might be a little more appropriate to the situation, but like the Paradox and Tilt, they are discs I can count on smiling at the end of their flights. Unfortunately, the wind is picking up as we get into fall here, so it's getting to be time for the Tern to migrate back to my shelf and be replaced by something more reliable when the wind is over 8-10MPH. :(

I just put a Buzzz back in my bag for the first time in a while and man did I miss that disc lol.

Definitely my Icon Clutch driving putter. No clue what disc two is here like most - it changes often. Been loving the Axiom Pyro...
Well...shit.

I lost my favorite Comet on Saturday and *also* just reminded myself of my beautiful ex. Oh did I mention I lost my second favorite Comet too?

Streetspouringoneout.gif

Latest posts