• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are your favorite 2 discs in your bag to throw?

I'm going with Eclipse Reactor and Crave.

20230824-231443.jpg

I love the feel of the Reactor. Smooth, modern rim and a nice flat top. I've never clicked so well with a mid when it comes to forehand. I used to feel shaky flicking my Vectors, Tensors and other mids over 200'. I've gotten to the point where I'm having to power down my Reactor because I'm overshooting 275-300' holes with it off the tee on a flick. Never thought I'd see the day. It resists moderate winds well while having lots of glide....perfect work horse mid for me. A lot like the KC Rocs I used to throw but with a much better rim shape for my throws....especially FH.

Craves are just so damn versatile. I use mine for bh, fh, bh rollers, fh rollers, overhands, hyzers, straight lasers, s curves, turnovers that don't come back. It's probably the most versatile disc in my bag. I always carry a pair - a well seasoned one I've been throwing since MVP sent them out to the test team, and a fresh one for windier tee shots and more consistent hyzers. Lots of glide and control, and just enough high speed turn to let it shape a large variety of lines without feeling unreliable.

What are your favorite two discs to throw? What's so great about them?
Solid choices for sure. I'm gonna have to go with '21 Jennings Sidewinder. I use this disc for hyzer flip dead straight shots, long pushing hyzers, backhand rollers that give max distance for me, as well as forehand rollers to get out of trouble.

My second choice would have to be the star Wraith. This is my most trustworthy distance driver into the wind and is seasoned enough that it'll give nice turn while still coming back. If this thing is flipping in the wind, I pull out the GG Wraith. For me, the Wraith fits well in my hand (only other speed 11 I carry is a mamba). Such a solid mold overall for long hyzers, low flex shots, and my favorite disc to throw forehand in distance situations or where I need a huge skip.

Buzzz because I can crunch it backhand and lace it dead straight forehand. I've found metal off the tee a few times doing the latter. It's a very comfortable shape for me.

I'd probably go with my F2 as the other "most fun" disc. I learned the sport relying heavily on my FH so even though my gameplay has balanced out in the last couple of years I still love the feel of a nice flip-to-flat-to-hyzer FH stock shot. Plus it's the disc I use to make my backhand-happy brother jealous :p

I love throwing putters so Envy is one (both Eclipse and Electron - is that cheating - I don't care).

Z Buzzz is next.

First honorable mention is Firebird. Have FH and BH aces with multiple discs, so reliable.

Found a 157 gram Latitude 64 Pearl last year that makes me smile whenever I throw it. So flippy, so fun. So that is honorable mention 2.

TL: I recently found an old run in a used bin at PIAS. Pearly almost like CE, I-dyed with no stamp. It's flat like a TL3 and goes fast with a ton of glide. Hyzer flip to straight/slight turn with a small finish. Goes as far as my Wraith a lot of the time and doesn't need much height to do it. It's the kind of disc where people ask, "What was that!?"

Mako3: Champion Color Glow, Holly Finley Tour Series. Great grip, just the right amount of stiffness with superior glide. Close to the perfect stability to be workable in all directions with almost any shape and if I do my part it goes up to 350'. Great for touch forehands in the woods as well.

First, my light weight Star Tern, because it is my longest thrower, even though it is new and I am still erratic with it. I think we have a bright future together, and I just ordered two more (F2s) today. It's fun to go far! Second, close call between my Soft Magnets and Lat 64 Diamonds. The SM works great for me at approach for anything from 75 feet down, maybe even 100 feet, and it is my putting putter. Issue is, I experiment with a lot of putters, for now, and I don't know if it will keep the job. Diamonds are my most reliable off the tee, and for second shots that are too long for my putter - likes to go straight - beginner friendly. FYI, playing 3-4 months, and I max at 225-245'. Update: getting more consistent with my Terns. The issue was me, not the discs. Wanted to see them go far, so beginner junk - turning my head too soon, and rounding.
Update: MVP Fission Wave 148g is my new favorite! 250-265' my new max distance.
Newer update: F2 Katana is my favorite (and longest) disc at the moment, and whatever putter is winning out as my main putting putter. Zero Medium Pure, Fierce, and Jawbreaker Banger-GT are the ones I am bagging right now, and all are battling to be my main putter, too. Honorable mention - I have a kind of light weight River, and a 158g Jade, that both fly reasonably long and straight (gentle S curves).

Last edited:
167 gram neutron Uplink.... without a doubt my most used disc both off of the tee and in the fairway

145 gram fission Insanity..... distance driver for my noodle arm

Honorable mention to a 172 gram neutron Spin

1 Sinus, for putting and short upshots. It is extremely overstable, good into the wind and reliable hyzer;

2. Air Escape, appropriate for most wind conditions on drives. I carry at least three. I had five in my cart today. I am old and slow. I have several others (mids) I could name, but you asked for two I throw the most.

My bag has sadly been in flux for the better part of two years. I think I am at a point where I have the bag pretty well organized and I am really liking all of the discs in the bag which makes it difficult to single out one. I did take out all the discs over 9 speed and the simplification has helped me some. I finally have the form/power to see the 7 5 -1 3 flight of an eagle which is strange because they have been in and out of my bag for 10 years and I never believed those flight numbers until recently. The Rhythm compliments the eagle so nicely and is fast becoming one of my favorites.

I think if I was forced to choose just two it would have to be my Soft Neutron Proxy and my Proton Insanity. Those have been in the bag the longest and I don't really see them ever coming out.
Your bag will always be in flux, new discs become useful as you improve and as you age you find the most useful discs changes with loss of flexibility and strength.

Favorite to throw? Z Comet. Something about that slow glide is just so danged pleasing. It's also weird, but when I pick up a Comet, I don't stress about my form as much. Because I just know I have to be smooth and spin it, so I just do it.

Second pick? Z Flx Zone. Zero stress approach flicks. Keeps my stress levels down during any scored round.

Favorite to throw? Z Comet. Something about that slow glide is just so danged pleasing. It's also weird, but when I pick up a Comet, I don't stress about my form as much. Because I just know I have to be smooth and spin it, so I just do it.

Second pick? Z Flx Zone. Zero stress approach flicks. Keeps my stress levels down during any scored round.
It's funny, some people stress over that with the Comet, but once you trust it, you just know it's gonna fly right... 😎

On the disc golf course...

1) Wombat3 - a straight flyer that I can get 300-350 in non- headwind conditions. The champion plastic is more stable while the star is easier to turn over and hold the line. Both have great glide. 170g

2) Tern - love this disc for forehand flex shots. Champion plastic is stiffer, more reliable than star. Throw these correctly and the flights are awesome. 163g

On a huge open field practicing distance for improvement and sheer fun...

1) CH Tern - so much fun when you hit a big anhyzer for RHBH with a slight left to right tailwind - they just keep gliding.

2) CH Mamba - you can power these out on a slight hyzer and these will level out (also turn) and keep going.

Plasma Tangent 177g good grip, straight in approaches and have been using it for putting within C2.

Plasma Crave 170g oldest disc in my bag at 18 months and 3rd MVP/Axiom, this one helped convince me to flip my bag over, dead straigh with t ending fade.

On the outside looking in Lizotte Hex and Neutron Rhythm SE.

TL and Atlas. neither feels great in the hand, but they get weird results. Ace with TL in first round playing with it.

I lost my favorite beat in Roc, so I had to replace it with a not quite ready Roc and a new Roc. When I remember that they aren't quite ready to do some of the special things my old disc did, they do fine.

I'm also fond of my Tremor which for me is a hybrid fairway driver and longer mid-range. I had problems with it early as I considered it an over-stable mid and it just didn't work well for all of the shots in that range. Now that I've figured it out, I can throw some really nice lines and also get some consistent distance without the temptation to over-muscle it.

I lost my favorite beat in Roc, so I had to replace it with a not quite ready Roc and a new Roc. When I remember that they aren't quite ready to do some of the special things my old disc did, they do fine.

I am pretty new to DG and I read this sort of thing all the time. Could you describe the sorts of things the beat up one could do? If it's just starting with a bit of turn, wouldn't it be easier to just get a newer disc in a durable plastic with turn numbers that reflect where your old Roc ended up?

I am pretty new to DG and I read this sort of thing all the time. Could you describe the sorts of things the beat up one could do? If it's just starting with a bit of turn, wouldn't it be easier to just get a newer disc in a durable plastic with turn numbers that reflect where your old Roc ended up?
One of the best things about beating a stable disc in is the time you spend with it.... a beat disc is like all the corners of flight have been softened and often extended, beating a stable or OS disc results in something neutral that's wind resistant and often still fades out. Pairing it with a fresher one gives you two different flights, the same hand feel and more time with the same mold. Less molds usually means lower scores. "The best disc is the one you know the most "(Pete Lizotte)

The roc is particularly good for a cycle, it can cover everything from a flippy comet to a wasp.

Luckily geebob recovered a comet recently. :D any of us that have a disc hoard know the importance of beating in the next for the Throne and their successors. I have a magic 174 soft electron (baseline) envy, it will turn, flies a true 0 and has more aces on it than any other disc, it's next in line have been worked for over a year and a half... and they aren't ready.

Favourite two to throw right now for me is the Watt and a metallic z comet. Working on cleaning up, threading gaps and getting my armspeed back up.

Last edited:
One of the best things about beating a stable disc in is the time you spend with it.... a beat disc is like all the corners of flight have been softened and often extended, beating a stable or OS disc results in something neutral that's wind resistant and often still fades out. Pairing it with a fresher one gives you two different flights, the same hand feel and more time with the same mold. Less molds usually means lower scores. "The best disc is the one you know the most "(Pete Lizotte)

The roc is particularly good for a cycle, it can cover everything from a flippy comet to a wasp.

Luckily geebob recovered a comet recently. :D any of us that have a disc hoard know the importance of beating in the next for the Throne and their successors. I have a magic 174 soft electron (baseline) envy, it will turn, flies a true 0 and has more aces on it than any other disc, it's next in line have been worked for over a year and a half... and they aren't ready.

Favourite two to throw right now for me is the Watt and a metallic z comet. Working on cleaning up, threading gaps and getting my armspeed back up.
How's the stability on that Z metallic Comet? It's the only blend I haven't thrown...

Hi Naenae! Very good question. The simple and probably not very helpful answer is "you'll know it when it happens."

I'll attempt a somewhat less simple and perhaps helpful answer. An out of the box DX Roc is a nicely overstable midrange disc. For most of the things I use it for it works great. I can make it go straight 150' (I never had a huge arm and moving into my 60s hasn't done much either) by throwing it low, get a nice late fade to the left by throwing it higher, and throw a pretty sweet gentle hyzer around a left-hand corner. As it beats in it gets a little less over-stable, which means that even my tired old arm can get it to turn a bit before the natural overstability will bring it back with the predictable ending left fade.

If you throw an out of the box Roc on an anhyzer line and it will eventually flip back to flat and usually land very softly. The trick, though, is controlling where that happens. Too much spin and it stays in that anhyzer line and goes way right, too little spin and it flips back to its normal flight and crashes hard left. So there's a hole on the course I play a lot. It requires a long, technical drive to access the basket directly. Since my normal drive leaves me well short of "ideal" with a left to right shot over a ridge to a basket on a downward sloping hill, the anhyzer shot with an overstable disc works pretty well. My old Roc would have given me a nice soft landing somewhere within 20' of the basket. This past weekend, I threw a new Roc that flipped to flat about halfway through the curve and faded left about 50' away. I think I can get a new Roc to fly the way I want, but I think I'll need to get more spin with the same speed (something I've always found to be a tricky thing to do). I guess a fair question would be whether I could try to make the same shot work with an understable or neutral disc. I'll probably have to do some more experimenting.

I think the ideal is to carry a few discs that will cover a lot of situations. If I carry three Rocs in various stages of break in, I have discs that range from very overstable to somewhat overstable. Could I instead carry a Shark or a VRoc? Sure, but then when those break in and start flying differently do I just replace them? So I guess what my advice would be is to settle on a disc you like in each catagory. When you're a beginner, the differences between broken in and out of the box might not even be noticeable. When you start noticing a difference in how it feels and flies, start carrying a new version of the same disc. Throw them side by side and see how they perform.