• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Share your horror stories from tourneys where you accidentally threw the wrong disc

hisdudeness47

Birdie Member
Mine happened yesterday in the fifth and final round of King of the Lake at Bijou in South Lake Tahoe. One round of 27 holes. Wasn't in any sort of contention as I was shooting around 900 for the tourney, under my rating and target (925) Anyway, was shooting a solid round,+0 through 12 holes. Feeling good, I was hitting my gaps and throwing well. Then on 13 a bad root kick on my skip approach 2nd, an off the band rollaway on the par save 3rd, a windy 30 foot front of basket hit on the bogey attempt 4 with another rollaway BEHIND the basket 25 foot, windy missed comebacker 5. Tap in 6 for the 3 headed bogeyman. Uf that guy sucks. Shot par over the next three holes responding well I think to the triple bogey but I was still smartin'. Then came 17....

Definitely a get the par hole in the wind unless you have a 400 ft flex forehand. Had a decent placement drive to set myself up for a 175-200 forehand hyzer into the green with my 300 soft A2. It ain't my 400 A2 but it's beef. Anyway I grabbed my disc, lined up the shot and flicked that baby. I then proceeded to watch it go dead straight about 150 and then take a gentle turn and coast into the distance in the wrong direction. It was smooth sailing really. An awesome turnover flick flight that I've never really used. Despite the great flight in the wrong direction, my mind was boggled. What happened? I look down at my bag and I see my A2 sitting there. Imagine my surprise. What did I just throw? Without looking in my bag I went straight out to the disc to find it in the middle of the muddy valley somewhere. When I stumbled upon it, it all made sense. I had just flicked my flippy M4. See pic.

Angry and with little options I took my beef monster prodiscus Troija and spike hyzered into the green, looking to crash through into the circle. This baby was headed for the basket for what could have been the most incredible par save of my life. But it was not to be. Above the basket it clipped a branch, got spun around, and rolled back 30 ft away from the basket. Putt for bogey was obstructed. Had no option but to lay up and tap in for the double bogey. After that I kind of lost my head, started playing hyper aggressive and fast, had another double bogey on 23 or something, and was on hole 26 when lightning became close enough to have the round delayed. The lightning continued. About 45 minutes into the delay, the round was canceled. Lead card had played 16 holes. The rest of the holes were erased from existence. And you know what that means...

My M4 flick never happened. You think it did? Prove it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230611_202944__01.jpg
    IMG_20230611_202944__01.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
One time about 12 years ago I threw my avenger ss instead of the predator I was supposed to throw and ended up turning it over, going out of bounds and actually losing that disc. It was the only understable disc I had in the bag and the rest of the weekend I learned how to throw forehand.

I ended up with three or four mvp discs all red because of the weight I wanted.. not by choice. One day I thought I was throwing the relay uphill with a 1 fade, turns out it was my switch which is more like 2.5 uphill haha. It dove down a hill and I barely scrounged out par. I took out my sharpie trace a circle with my beer can and drew the electrical symbols on them for fast reference.

One that stands out in my memory. Hole was like 200' over/around a stand of trees I took my "overstable" destroyer and ripped a sky hyzer over it all. Oh shoot, that was my super flippy destroyer... flipped over, full flight, nice 400' drive, 60 degrees to the right I was 350' from the basket on a 200' hole :/

I had a flippy D2 and a Warhorse. Exact same color.

Go to rip a FH at Edwards hole 18 and it basically rolls out of my hand. Luckily it's somewhat open on the left and everyone just thought I got unlucky with the hill break.

Singles league, not tournament, but yesterday I accidentally threw my lime green deflector (very overstable) instead of my lime green Uplink (flippy). I was meaning to turn it over to fly right and thought the flight was perfect out of my hand, so was very confused when it took a hard left deep into the woods. I understood once I found it. I took a quad bogey and destroyed what would have been my best round in that league...

Many years ago....

I bagged an Avenger SS and a Predator in the exact same shade of Elite Z Plastic... drivers that are about as far apart on the stability spectrum as you can get. Thought I knew what I grabbed outta my bag (but didn't bother checking the stamp). 😴

Threw my "Pred" hard on a shot where I was counting on the fact that I couldn't turn it over and needed it to fade left at the end. Turned that Avenger SS over and it sailed right, into a bunch of thick schule, never to be seen again. 😱

Learned right then:
1) Don't bag discs of radically different stabilities in the same color/plastic.

2) Look at what you're about to throw as part of your routine.

I don't know about horror story... but I definitely lost a stroke during the 2006 US Mid Nationals Tournament to this.

We were playing Blueberry Hill 2, which at the time was the downhill shot to the tiered greens with dense foliage left (I think it is hole 1 now?). I threw a blue Star XCaliber with a red stock stamp into the woods. We looked for pretty much all of or more of the 3 minutes before someone found the disc, same blue and same red stamp, and I threw from it.

As I walked out of the woods I walked right up to, just on the inside of the edge of the woods.... an upside down star plastic blue disc with my name plain as day. I looked at the disc I'd just picked up, completely unmarked on the bottom.

I had to pitch up again, this time right to the basket. Took the practice stroke penalty and had to keep on keeping on. Ultimately IIRC that was the highest rated round of my tournament, so the penalty stroke didn't hurt me too much. The horror story came playing like a dingbat the next day on Woodland Greens in the rain.

EDIT: I just read the first post and realized I shared a story about COMPLETELY the wrong kind of throwing the wrong "disc" (I interpreted it as "lie" oops)

I won a Sonic as part of a first-round CTP and told my friends that I would soon be throwing this into the water somewhere. First throw with it in the second round of the tournament it went right into the water. I didn't even try to retrieve it. I heard that Climo used Sonics???

Latest posts