• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shaving Cream.. fail..

MrRob

To all those know how to do the Shaving cream die good. Can you help me figure out what went wrong?!

Idye Poly - No color intensifier

Colors used.. Crimson Red - Kelly Green - Blue & Purple

Pink Prodigy took the Blue or Purple (( can't tell )) some what ok.. Green is no where to be found

Green Prodigy - Used Blue & Red... looks eh.. no color hardly

Opto Yellow Diamond - All colors were used. An.. well.. ya looks like a dirt stain.

Below is said pic of what I just said. Sit time was 8 hours. Also have a pic of a disc we left to go 10+ hours. An maybe you can tell by the overflow that possibly something is wrong.

Attachments

• Test11.jpg
    Test11.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 344
  • test111.jpg
    test111.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 304
Also.. after looking at some beds on the forums.. my colors are no where near that bright. They are very dull.. Is it the 8ounce jars? I just put the idye poly in there with hot water an mixed it up..

One thing might be the amount of time it sat on the shaving cream. When I do a shaving cream dye, I let it sit for 24 hours.

Overflow looks normal. The idye orange and greens need some serious time to set up if cold. At least 18 hours. And they are dull colors.

Your ratio for water to dye might be a little off as well. I mix a ton of iDye in with not a ton of water. Really makes the colors pop. Other than that, it's most certainly your sit time. I would usually leave it for a day and a half. I also generally prefer white disc for shaving cream dyes, but that's just my personal preference.

Oh yeah, not sure about 400 plastic, but Opto, champ, Z, etc plastics take longer to dye than ESP, Star, GL, etc. The champy plastics just don't soak up dye like the opaque stuff. But I also think it takes them longer to fade.

Hey, they're learning experiences, right?

Next time:

Increase the amount of dye compared to the amount of water

Increase the amount of time the disc sits. I usually allow 8-12 hours for red, and purple, and longer for orange green and blue.

Realize that Idye's orange and blue will be pastel somewhat muted colors, and pick the disc you dye on accordingly. I still use the old formula RIT I have sitting around for Orange and blue because I hate the bland colors on Idye.

Use Star/ESP/Neutron type plastic in the lightest colors you have. I can't stress this enough! I've had the best luck on Innova Star and MVP Neutron discs. I prefer white, but have done shaving cream dyes on a mint green Valk(Idye Purple only) and a yellow Amp (Idye Red, RIT orange and black) that came out pretty good. I also tried a Pepto pink Amp with mixed results (the red/purple I used just didn't pop). Champ/Proton/Z plastic is sweet for stencil dyes, but really doesn't look great with shaving cream.

Expect some "failures". This is the most important thing. Every disc is a learning experience when you're getting started, and they still fly fine. Unless you try to use a toaster oven to cure a shaving cream dye and partially melt an Avenger. Yeah, don't do that...:eek:

LOL! Thanks guys.. It's weird.. watching all the different videos the colors are just so dull. We let a champ Valk sit for 12 hours and it has no color to it. It's a yellow disc and you can see the dye pattern but it's like the yellow Diamond.

So.. I know there is a ton of different dye options. Which would you think is best for Prodigy discs? It's mainly all I throw lol!

Nothing wrong with the discs. Just know that if you are dying a champ type plastic that you need to extend dye time significantly. I did some glow z buzzzes that I let sit for a couple days to get decent color. Even with heat, champ type plastic can take twice as long to get good solid color. (And you may never really be truly happy with it because it isn't as dark as you want it.) When you dye cold it takes a lot longer. Maybe more than twice as long.

It may not have been what you were going for but I think those actually look pretty good. That's just my opinion if course. And I might add I've never tried to dye a disc before.

I think it was the color and plastic type of the discs that you were using...all in all it looks as if you got what you should've out of it. I'm sure the color would've been brighter on a clear or white disc as well as the whole dye mixture thing as already mentioned, but what do I know about dyeing discs? lol ;)

LOL! I 100% forgot you knew anything about Dying discs! We shall have to sit down an chat awhile. I want to put black ring on the outer edge now on that M4. :)

I'd also like to point out that the disc pictured in the shaving cream bed is not pictured in the results ones....the one in the bed is innova ;) Additionally handy lil tip for any of you out there an item that works great for shaving cream dyes and prevents the sink of the disc in the bed is the old style burner covers for a stove. Get you a set of stainless ones from walmart or whatever and use the small size one. It is large enough that most drivers and mids fit on top and have beveled edges to a point where if the disc doesn't naturally rest right along the edge on top of the shaving cream bed it will only sink to a point where the top "catches" it which is normally a very small amount and less mess.

Latest posts