• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe recommendations for wide feet

sydsdaddy

Hey guys, posted a few times on here as I've just started playing not to long ago. This is a bit of a different question, so a little background to give some idea as to where I'm coming from. I've just been wearing old tennis shoes and this weekend played my first tournament and had a great time but I rolled my ankle three times and my feet got soaking wet. Finding good shoes to fit me can be difficult at times because I wear a 4E wide shoe lol. Anyone have any suggestions on some good shoes or hiking hybrid types they use and would recommend? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey guys, posted a few times on here as I've just started playing not to long ago. This is a bit of a different question, so a little background to give some idea as to where I'm coming from. I've just been wearing old tennis shoes and this weekend played my first tournament and had a great time but I rolled my ankle three times and my feet got soaking wet. Finding good shoes to fit me can be difficult at times because I wear a 4E wide shoe lol. Anyone have any suggestions on some good shoes or hiking hybrid types they use and would recommend? Thanks in advance for any help.

I wear a 14/15, 4E and have the hardest time finding shoes so I know your pain! I wear Vasque brand shoes(www.vasque.com ) and hiking boots; excellent quality, and they usually have something close to my size. I've had the same hiking boots for
five years and they are still water proof not to mention in great shape.

I also really like this company called Propet (www.propetusa.com )who sell up to 5E. Just got a pair and starting to dig em.

Last edited:

I've had a pair of New Balance Minimus MO10BK 4E wide for a few years, great shoes. Looks like that model is discontinued now, but they probably have some fairly similar models available still.

I don't know the model #, but I wear New Balance 10.5 4E and I found a leather pair of them and I just coated the hell out of them with water repellent. Took about 6-7 coats, but I've stepped in mud before and once I got to the next teepad... completely gone from my shoe. Just find a good non-mesh pair and put some water repellent on it and you'll be good. The repellent I used was for camping tents, worked great on shoes.

I wear 9.5 EEE in a dress shoe.
I can squeeze into Adidas (which are all narrow) for summer play with no socks or just liner socks, knowing I will blow out the sides in one season of play, but they are light and I like them.
Come fall, and the need for socks of any substance, I switch to Keens (Marshall/Saltzman WP) or, although these are a little heavier, Teva Riva eVents. Both feel like boots after Terrex Swift's during the summer.

Merrell wides have become my lifesaver. I actually dropped a shoe size and a half when I switched to Merrell wides. I was amazed that I could even fit into a shoe that size, but with the wide toebox, I didn't have to have an inch of open space in front of my toes. Not only do the smaller size shoes fit and feel better, they are MUCH more comfortable rather than having oversized shoes just to fit my damn wide cuneiforms.

What Merrels are wide?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HF5J49...olid=NZ2UYHV19KZP&coliid=I1CZS4HKP2N144&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195KU4O...colid=NZ2UYHV19KZP&coliid=IKPKK8K34HJL7&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/handle-buy-box/ref=dp_start-bbf_1_glance

All three are Moabs, but the Phoenix style is also available in wide. The first I think probably is better for waterproofing since it is leather plus has the membrane.

The second looks like it has awesome tread that would last longer (first saw these in stores and was really impressed with how thick and durable the tread appeared to be).

The third has the best of both but a little more expensive. There are also come cheaper Moabs that come in waterproof and wide.

I will probably be getting one of these for my next waterproof disc golf shoe.

What Merrels are wide?

There's a Merrell outlet near a course I had a tournament at and I stopped in to check for some waterproofs after a practice round. The sales person that was helping me noted that I had a large toebox and asked if I'd tried wide-sized shoes. They then grabbed two pair and it was the first time in my adult life I had truly good fitting shoes. The feeling was amazing. I had been wearing 12s or 13s depending on brand and an 11.5 2E was amazing. Bought two pair on the spot and another one later this summer. Love 'em.

REI carries the Merrell Moabs in wide sizes are they are nice. Bought some for my old man to use when dog walking or doing yard work in rainy weather. He wanted a pair of hiking shoes for this purpose but never found a comfortable pair. Stumbled on to the wide sized Merrells on REI site and snagged them. He absolutely loves them and wears them a lot now. Tried them on myself and found them very comfortable and will definitely consider them on my next purchase for the comfort.

First, you gotta own those gunboats. Its what god gave ya. :D

New Balance makes alot of wide shoes. They also make water resistant trail shoes which have a grippy sole perfect for disc golf.

I have the ankle rolling issue. I found it to be a bigger problem with shoes that have a rounded sole profile. Try to find shoes with a flatter sole, and inverted shoulders like this/_\ not this (_) which is ankle roller hell.

For my wide feet, I've been wearing shoes from minimalist shoe companies, and my feet have never felt better. I'm wearing these, from Vivobarefoot over the summer months:
https://www.amazon.com/Vivobarefoot-Mens-Ultra-Sport-Shoe/dp/B00LVSEIHQ
Most people think they look funny, but the toe box on them is shaped more like the shape of your foot and not crazily tapered to a point where it smushes your toes together. They look kinda like Crocs and have held up surprisingly well to concrete teepads. I've had mine for a few seasons now without any crazy wear on them. I'm not sure how their boots would hold up on the course, but I've been thinking about getting a pair of Lems boots (another wide toe, minimalist company) for winter rounds.

For my wide feet, I've been wearing shoes from minimalist shoe companies, and my feet have never felt better. I'm wearing these, from Vivobarefoot over the summer months:
https://www.amazon.com/Vivobarefoot-Mens-Ultra-Sport-Shoe/dp/B00LVSEIHQ
Most people think they look funny, but the toe box on them is shaped more like the shape of your foot and not crazily tapered to a point where it smushes your toes together. They look kinda like Crocs and have held up surprisingly well to concrete teepads. I've had mine for a few seasons now without any crazy wear on them. I'm not sure how their boots would hold up on the course, but I've been thinking about getting a pair of Lems boots (another wide toe, minimalist company) for winter rounds.

I have been using True Linkswear ball golf shoes for this very reason. They are spikeless and originally built on a barefoot/zero-drop platform. I still say the ones I have are the best fitting shoe I have ever owned. Unfortunately, the company has gotten away from shoes that are actually in the shape of the foot and gone toward more traditional shoe design. In other words, they abandoned what made them great and are now just another shoe that no longer fits me.

I like the idea of the Vivobarefoot shoes, but they are a bit too expensive for disc golf. The sole is just not going to hold up and can't justify having to replace them at the cost as often as I would need. But if someone like Merrell or Keen were to design a shoe with a footshaped toe box and a heavy duty sole, I would be all over it. We should all be wearing "clownshoes". The foot does not come to a point. Look at opened toe shoes like flipflops or Birkenstocks. They are round and shaped to follow the natural shape of the toes. If most people could see how their toes are scrunched inside the vast majority of shoes, they would not accept how the shoes are designed. But people just can't get over the "weird" look to a shoe properly designed to fit a human foot. Oh well, end of rant.

Last edited:
I have been using True Linkswear ball golf shoes for this very reason. They are spikeless and originally built on a barefoot/zero-drop platform. I still say the ones I have are the best fitting shoe I have ever owned. Unfortunately, the company has gotten away from shoes that are actually in the shape of the foot and gone toward more traditional shoe design. In other words, they abandoned what made them great and are now just another shoe that no longer fits me.

I like the idea of the Vivobarefoot shoes, but they are a bit too expensive for disc golf. The sole is just not going to hold up and can't justify having to replace them at the cost as often as I would need. But if someone like Merrell or Keen were to design a shoe with a footshaped toe box and a heavy duty sole, I would be all over it. We should all be wearing "clownshoes". The foot does not come to a point. Look at opened toe shoes like flipflops or Birkenstocks. They are round and shaped to follow the natural shape of the toes. If most people could see how their toes are scrunched inside the vast majority of shoes, they would not accept how the shoes are designed. But people just can't get over the "weird" look to a shoe properly designed to fit a human foot. Oh well, end of rant.

I always heard good things about True, but never had a chance to try them out myself.

I completely agree with everything you've said. Clown shoes for everybody! Most of the Vivobarefoot shoes I have are only ever going to be used for running, and I love them for that role. The Ultra II's I use for disc golfing, I never would have even thought to try out if it wasn't for a picture I saw on their website that someone posted on Instagram actually disc golfing in them. Add to that a Black Friday deal for $30, and I had to give them a shot. Of course, it doesn't look like they make that model anymore, and even if they did, I'm sure I wouldn't get anywhere close to the same deal. Finding out what to use after these guys finally die is a quest I'm really not looking forward to. Once you go clown toes, you never want to go back.

One other company that comes to mind is Altra. They make running shoes with wider toe boxes as well. I bet one of their shoes would work great. With the amount of padding they have, even if you abuse them, they should still last a while, and there are occasionally some really great deals online.

One other company that comes to mind is Altra. They make running shoes with wider toe boxes as well. I bet one of their shoes would work great. With the amount of padding they have, even if you abuse them, they should still last a while, and there are occasionally some really great deals online.

I have thought of Altras, but they are impossible to find in my area. I have only found one model that was left over stock from a few years ago, but even the specialty running stores dont carry them anymore. I generally just use old New Balances or Asics that I used to wear to work when disc golfing. I have my Trues and a pair of Keens for wet days, but I can't really justify spending $100 on a disc golf only sneaker when I can just use my old work shoes. When I am finally making some real money, Altras may be an option, but still being in school I have to control the spending where I can.

My biggest challenge is that my feet are 4E but all the way from midfoot to toe. There are many shoes that go 4E in the toe but very few that have a wide midfoot.

Aasics are the only running shoe, and I stretch out oversized Vans for regular use.

I have thought of Altras, but they are impossible to find in my area. I have only found one model that was left over stock from a few years ago, but even the specialty running stores dont carry them anymore. I generally just use old New Balances or Asics that I used to wear to work when disc golfing. I have my Trues and a pair of Keens for wet days, but I can't really justify spending $100 on a disc golf only sneaker when I can just use my old work shoes. When I am finally making some real money, Altras may be an option, but still being in school I have to control the spending where I can.

If I see a deal for $50 or so again, maybe I'll pick up a pair to try out. If I do, I'll report back here on how they work out.

I'll jump on the bandwagon. Merrel moabs wide are a lifesaver. The only problem is the inside wears out fast if you slip in and out of them like i did. The stitching inside rear heel of the shoe is a disappointment. You have to unlace them and slide out sideways to make them last. Otherwise these things are a miracle for my feet on the course.

I used Merrell shoes for years, and still own a few pair, but Altra is my main brand now.

I tried out some Altra Provision 2's on a whim at DSW. I thought they looked funny so they caught my eye, but after giving them a once over I thought they'd be comfortable. Tried them on and it felt like I was walking on pillows. They are worlds more comfortable than the 2nd most comfortable shoes I've worn...its night and day from anything else I've tried.

I went a head and bought a backup pair because I like them so much. I use them for work, disc golf, hiking, cycling, running...everything.

I still use some waterproof Merrell's for rainy disc golf, but for everything else I'll take the Altras all they. They are amazing....DSW near you might still carry some. I know they're phasing out the Provision 2 in favor of the 2.5 (Also have a pair of those, they're just as good if not better).

Here's me wearing them for a 800 mile bike ride last may :D

Attachments

• 20160519_184438_HDR.jpg
    20160519_184438_HDR.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Latest posts