• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe Review: Merrell Trail Glove

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer

Feedback encouraged. First gear review with more planned. Any questions about the shoe? Feel free to ask!

Looks good! I was considering those. How long has it taken for the wear to show?

I have these that I love for the gym:

17634_mens-new-balance-mx20v3_sx0_detail.jpg

But was afraid to test their durability. I found a bunch of road gloves on www.steepandcheap.com but was afraid to tear them up too fast too. I think the low sole though would help with some of the twisting, but like you said, the material is thin. Are they no-sew? Do you feel braced/supported enough in them? I assume since you ride so low in them you do.

I went with these instead, so far so good, but only have a few rounds on them.

MRL-W41885-113012

Those Merrell's look nice, I might try a pair out. They look a bit more rigid than the Trail Glove.

I haven't had any issues with support. I've tried a few other similar styles out from different companies trying to find the right balance of rigidity / durability, comfort and minimal weight. This is the best I've used so far.

If I do end up getting a pair of the ones you posted I'll do a comparison video. Those would be heavier, but maybe the additional support would be worth it. Sole looks thicker too.

Last edited:
Nice review. I just picked up a new pair of Merrells myself and completely agree with you on the Vibram soles. I got the Chameleon 4s and am very happy but may check these out on the next round as I understand they've discontinued the 4s.

I used chameleons at one point and they're great. Had a pair of 3's and 4's. The stretch versions are really convenient for slipping on and off quickly. I like something a bit lighter when its nice enough out to get away with it.

Yeah love the stretch versions. It fixes a problem that only I seem to have. I used to get twigs and pebbles in my shoes during almost every round but the stretch collar keeps me pebble free.

If those Proterras hold up, I can see them being my next summer shoe. My brand new Yokotas are already tearing near the joint of the little toe. So disappointed.

I have a pair of merrell trail gloves that I love playing in, But they make my feet smell something horrible, which my wife does not care for.

I just got a pair of Trail Glove 2s that I plan to wear running and discing. I love then so far after only a couple rounds. The sole is super grippy. So much so that I actually fell down throwing from thick grass in my first round wearing then. Still bit sure how that happened but it was pretty funny.

Re: the Proterras
They hold up great and are excellent summer shoes. Super light. BUt I thought they'd breath a little etter. Still, they're excellent.
Pay a couple extra bucks for them at REI and you get REI's one year return policy as well. Or buy last year's colors cheap and don't think twice about them.

I have a pair of merrell trail gloves that I love playing in, But they make my feet smell something horrible, which my wife does not care for.

Are they waterproof? I bought a pair of all out blaze waterproof, and took them back the next day because of that. No problem with the non wp version.

Trail Gloves are my primary disc golfing shoe too. Super comfortable and grippy. I just wish they made a waterproof version.

nice review. i actually just started using trail glove 2's as my dg shoe a few weeks ago. definitely took a couple rounds to break in though. I had a couple spots where the shoe would rub me the wrong way and had to double up on socks for a little while. Been great after that initial period.

I've found the rubber toe cap to be my favorite part of this shoe. Put a hole on the left toe of my running shoes that I was originally using for dg within a few months.

Are they waterproof? I bought a pair of all out blaze waterproof, and took them back the next day because of that. No problem with the non wp version.

They arent waterproof, in fact playing in early morning dew can get your feet quite wet. But like Mike said in the video, they do dry quite quickly. I've been wearing mine for about a year, playing 1-2 times a week. I have some wear where Mike does as well, but no rips yet. I'm a big fan of them and will be replacing them with another pair once these wear out.

Thought I should update this by saying they've held up great since I shoe gooed them. Worked just as I expected, should halt any future wear there and I'd imagine they'll last until the sole wears out.

hsKYEHM.jpg

I did switch to another pair of shoes though, mainly to test them out to see if its worth ordering multiples. I'll be posting a first impressions video here tonight.