• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] short hard turning disc

RDG Stego, shortest hard turning disc ever

I have a little bit of experience throwing a Stego. The problem with it, as I see it, is that it dumps down very fast. It doesn't have a great deal of lateral movement as drivers can have. And I do not foresee it skipping much; the bottom of the disc would probably be more inclined to dig and sit.

The other problem is trying to acquire one.

I have a little bit of experience throwing a Stego. The problem with it, as I see it, is that it dumps down very fast. It doesn't have a great deal of lateral movement as drivers can have. And I do not foresee it skipping much; the bottom of the disc would probably be more inclined to dig and sit.

The other problem is trying to acquire one.

This.

Just because the Stego is laughably overstable, doesn't mean you are going to get it to fly 100 feet around a 90 degree corner. That puppy is coming out of your hand and hitting the ground soon after. That's it.

I am pretty new to all these terms and i am trying to keep it simple. A forehand hyzer is the type of shot i had in mind for this throw. Because i am new and i can throw both FH and BH i have not really developed a turnover shot.

Just a hard fading disc. This hole is a hard left and i can throw the left handed forehand.
OK... now we know what you mean.

Just to clarify for you (or anyone else who doesn't quite have all the terminology down yet):
FADE is what discs do when they slow down at the end of flight (because they're no longer moving at their intended speed).
TURN is what happens during the high speed portion of the flight (provided the disc was thrown fast enough for it to turn), and works in the opposite direction of "end of flight fade."

RHBH: Turns to the R, Fades to the L
RHFH: Turns to the L, Fades to the R
LHBH: Turns to the L, Fades to the R
LHFH: Turns to the R, Fades to the L

Flippy means Understable = discs that are more likley to turn during the high speed portion of flight.
Beefy means Overstable = discs you can throw hard, with little to no turn.
Neutral means Stable = disc that pretty much fly straight for you, usually with moderate fade at the end, but can also exhibit moderate amount of turn when thrown faster than you normally do.

Last edited:
OK... now we know what you mean.

Just to clarify for you (or anyone else who doesn't quite have all the terminology down yet):
FADE is what discs do when they slow down at the end of flight (because they're no longer moving at their intended speed).
TURN is what happens during the high speed portion of the flight (provided the disc was thrown fast enough for it to turn), and works in the opposite direction of "end of flight fade."

RHBH: Turns to the R, Fades to the L
RHFH: Turns to the L, Fades to the R
LHBH: Turns to the L, Fades to the R
LHFH: Turns to the R, Fades to the L

Flippy means Understable = discs that are more likley to turn during the high speed portion of flight.
Beefy means Overstable = discs you can throw hard, with little to no turn.
Neutral means Stable = disc that pretty much fly straight for you, usually with moderate fade at the end, but can also exhibit moderate amount of turn when thrown faster than you normally do.

I hear/see players confuse these terms all the time. Funniest is when they are teeing off and they want the disc to fade hard and they yell "Turn! Turn!"

This.

Just because the Stego is laughably overstable, doesn't mean you are going to get it to fly 100 feet around a 90 degree corner. That puppy is coming out of your hand and hitting the ground soon after. That's it.

I don't see a point in trying to find THE PERFECT disc for a shot like this that you almost never need (the fly 125 ft, and then skip 100 ft 90 degrees to the left shot).

Just play it around the corner as best you can with whatever OS disc you like and take your 90ft shot at 2. :\

People get too caught up trying to find the perfect disc for every shot when they could just be learning how to throw what they already have on more lines.

I hear/see players confuse these terms all the time. Funniest is when they are teeing off and they want the disc to fade hard and they yell "Turn! Turn!"

I know a guy that did that all the time... dude was not a newb, and was playing low level AM 1 at the time.
He's about 950 rated now, and now, he gets it.
Apparently, that knowledge kicks in somewhere between 920 and 950 or so. :p

a) Considering my 850'ish skill level, I'm way ahead of the game! :D
b) My game sucks, given my knowledge/experience. :(

The correct answer is: (b) :eek: :\

I don't see a point in trying to find THE PERFECT disc for a shot like this that you almost never need (the fly 125 ft, and then skip 100 ft 90 degrees to the left shot).

Just play it around the corner as best you can with whatever OS disc you like and take your 90ft shot at 2. :\

People get too caught up trying to find the perfect disc for every shot when they could just be learning how to throw what they already have on more lines.

I agree with this but don't at the same time. For me, this shot is a forehand flick with a Discraft Flick, and is a shot that I have used a fair amount of times with this disc. That being said, the Flick is my overall utility disc for rollers and thumbers as well, so I don't add it just for that shot. You need to find yourself a good overstable utility disc for the bag.

Side note, another incredibly overstable/short distance disc is the Discraft Cryztal FLX Trackers with the 3+ rating. Those things fade right out of your hand and for me have zero real distance potential, unless thrown overhand.

i can certainly understand this point. I have a pretty simple set of discs and i am trying to keep it simple. Slow solid form and build up my distance.

The other side of this coin is I play this hole about 8 times a week and my first throw seems stupid. It is a very short distance course and most holes i tee off with my putter. Having a specialty disc for this hole seems like an OK idea in my book.

Another user mentioned a cut roller so i have to look that up. i need to learn how to throw rollers as well.

here is the layout from the post. I will take a photo of the actual hole if it helps.

I see a lot of people throw over the top of the fence. That out of bounds in the bottom left is a super tall net trying to stop the tomahawk. I am a rule follower and they say you are not allowed to climb the fence to get your disc back. I don't want to lose a disc.

But, back on topic, my play with my fairly limited bag probably would be to try and skip an overstable driver or maybe depending on the ceiling, stall out an overstable mid and hope to get close.

If their local course has a hole where one specific disc (for me a Nuke OS) makes easy work of it, why not bag it? I play a course where a skip shot is hands down the best play. Most people try to air the corner and hit foliage long or play it too tight and miss the mando. Low line skip can go long (no fear of missing mando) and still get in the circle. Much larger margin of error.

Added it to my bag this last year, and now I'm seeing that line as an option in other situations where I would never had considered it. A speed 9 OS utility, doesn't get the easy flare of a 13/14 speed. Why force a disc that wouldn't be as fail safe?

here is the layout from the post. I will take a photo of the actual hole if it helps.

I see a lot of people throw over the top of the fence. That out of bounds in the bottom left is a super tall net trying to stop the tomahawk. I am a rule follower and they say you are not allowed to climb the fence to get your disc back. I don't want to lose a disc.

There is a hole on a technical course I play that is similar to that... no OB but such a level of "jail" that it's nearly impossible to throw over it (even Lizotte or Matt Dollar would be pressed to do it). I use a Harp to hit the gap into the dogleg left, and may or may not get a skip on up into the narrow fairway. Looks like a Harp would do well on that hole, as well.

Have you looked at some kind of FH cut roller with one of the very OS discs described above? Seems like a tough layout for sure.

Other than that I think a high, nose-up hyzer with anything glidey would stall out and fade far left if you wanted to try an air shot.

Or just power down a fast OS disc and let it flare skip.

I would go FH cut roller or skip a thumber* at this distance. It'll take a few tries to get it right but if you play this hole often you'll probably do it in your sleep before too long.

*throw a thumber low enough that it hits the ground with its flight plate right around the corner, you'll get a massive skip.

skipping driver- mamba
big turnover mid- tarsus (sp?)

These work for me RHBH, so I cannot imagine they wouldn't work for you being a LHBH.

Latest posts