• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should a world distance record with wind assistance count?

Should a world distance record with wind assistance count?

• Yes.

Votes: 81 63.3%
  • No.

Votes: 47 36.7%

• Total voters
If you count wind, might as well count elevation too. There's a nice castle on a mountain overlooking a park here, I'm gonna go chuck one 1000' downhill and take the record. brb.

hell, if mythbusters can rent out a huge airport hangar for their stuff... I'm sure the big DG companies could shell out for a real world record. they never will though.

If I am running track and the wind is over a certain speed, from ANY direction, any records do not count.
You can still compete, but you cannot set records.
This seems utterly fair to me.
In a tourney, wind does not stop competition, but in a straight throwing competition, wind-assist should not set records.

hell, if mythbusters can rent out a huge airport hangar for their stuff... I'm sure the big DG companies could shell out for a real world record. they never will though.

I would reason a bet that the Mythbusters franchise is worth more than all the disc manufacturers and the PDGA combined.

so we need a building that is 1000 feet of open space and all weather factors can be controlled, just for a record that 85% of the world doesn't know exists
i doubt anyone could get to 600ft inside . The indoor record is under 500 and was done inside an aircraft carrier.

there are a few indoor waterparks i think could handle such a competition.

I would reason a bet that the Mythbusters franchise is worth more than all the disc manufacturers and the PDGA combined.

well sure, but c'mon... the very first google result for 'hangar rental' came up with a 400' long by 170' wide hangar. 10 more minutes and you could find a bigger, cheap hangar to rent for a week. It's not about cost, it's about Innova eating crow when the real non-wind aided record is 3/4ths of what it is now.

General Electric in Schenectady NY

Building 273 is approx. 1/8 mile by 1/4 mile. At one time, it held the World Record for the most square footage under one roof.

Each 3-story bay is 100 ft wide by 1/4 mile. They're currently re-tooling 3 of the bays and one is almost completely empty.

Go to Google Maps. Search zip code 12305. The large black-roofed building sound of I-890 is Bldg.#273

Last edited:
General Electric in Schenectady NY

Building 273 is approx. 1/8 mile by 1/4 mile. At one time, it held the World Record for the most square footage under one roof.

Each 3-story bay is 100 ft wide by 1/4 mile. They're currently re-tooling 3 of the bays and one is almost completely empty.

Go to Google Maps. Search zip code 12305. The large black-roofed building sound of I-890 is Bldg.#273

That place is ridiculous.

There is an abandoned GM plant here that probably has enough space too. The old bootcamp hangars were a good 800' long I would imagine as well...there are plenty of big enough buildings.

I don't see how it is a crow eating situation though...why does Innova care, Lightning, Discraft, others have held the record as well and if you don't think wind would be a factor in a flying saucer's flight then you might want to read an aerodynamics book.

I don't see how it is a crow eating situation though...why does Innova care, Lightning, Discraft, others have held the record as well and if you don't think wind would be a factor in a flying saucer's flight then you might want to read an aerodynamics book.

i do think it's a factor. a huge one, that inflates the numbers. Hence... the building.

With the distance record standing at an astounding 820' (thrown by Sandstrom in 2002), I believe that people's perspectives of what a long throw really is has gotten fairly skewed. The majority of the longest throws since Stokely's 656' throw in 1995 have been very wind assisted, in areas that often had 15-35 MPH winds to catch as well as other factors such as altitude, thermal updrafts, etc. In fact, the five longest throws of all time (820', 810', 761', 748', and 738') were all performed on the same day and 16 of the 18 longest throws of all time have all been performed at the same location.

The first official 600'+ throw occurred in 1987 at 613'. The 700' barrier was not broken until 2001. In 14 years leading up to Voigt's throw of 712', the distance record had increased by about 80' (Stokely held the last distance record before Voigt at 693'). I have found with certain newer players, a 650' throw just doesn't seem to impress them as much as it probably should. The honest difference between a 650' throw and a 725' throw is basically a little bit of luck, catching the wind just right to get that extra carry at the end. Nearly every throw that breaks 600' looks almost identical for the first 2/3 of the flight (assuming you are comparing anhyzer to anhyzer and hyzer flip to hyzer flip) and it's the behavior during the latter part of the flight… with everything happening just right… is where the factors that boost the record breaking throws reside.

I disagree, the disc thrown doesn't have as much to do with the distance as some people think it does. It's more about technique with a touch of luck.

Your right. The disc probably doesn't have much to do with the distance. But I do think someone going for the record will pick one of the faster discs in production when they make their attempt.

I don't think luck should be any part of it.

They should have separate records.

I agree -- look at freediving (one sport that quite possibly has less exposure than disc golf) -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freediving -- notice that there are multiple discipline categories such as pool/open water, fins/no fins, use of weights, use of guide ropes, etc. While we aren't as varied, we do know that wind does affect disc flight.

For record-attempting throws, I think there needs to be separate categories based on the presence or absence of wind -- say No Wind, Wind Up To 5 MPH, Wind 5 MPH - 10 MPH, and Wind 10+ MPH.

Last edited:
i do think it's a factor. a huge one, that inflates the numbers. Hence... the building.

Yeah but who cares? 820 feet or 600' I am not getting half of that so its bad ass.

To those throwing 450, hell you got 150' to catch Avery...go practice!

You also gotta realize these shots going 600+ feet are flexing out probably 200-300' and going damn near 100' in the air. Find a building that can meet those criteria.

I think it more fun to watch the throwers throw with wind at their backs and downhill. However, I don't think it is a true outcome of their abilities if the wind is assisting the throw. Do the big downhills and wind for a show but the true world record distance should be done in an enclosed space.

I voted no, but here is why. in other sports where wind can make an impact of the record, they are required to make the attempt twice. they make the first attempt heading in a direction and then make a second attempt coming back the opposite way on the line they just took. they then use the average of the two as the oficcial recording. so jut throwing one way i say no but if you do it in two opposing directions i dont have a problem if the wind assisted you on one or both throws depending on the angles you throw with the wind

I believe land speed records used to be run in opposite directions and then averaged. I think something along those lines would give a more accurate world distance record.

While teepads, equipment, and other provisions of the game can be modified to create a ceteris paribus environment, wind obviously cannot. And it shouldn't; disc golf is an outdoor game and the elements of weather should not be penalized when considering records.

so if the elements of weather cant be changed, either should the elements of nature. Does that mean elevation shouldnt matter either? So once someone builds a dg course on my everest, im going for the big 26,000 ft or so :) remember the name

Latest posts