• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should an uphill 600+ ft hole be a par 3?

Consistency in the implementation of par will also lessen the amount of these threads.............just sayin
Doubtful. We'd then have 29,398 threads regarding whether whatever "consistent" standard we set is fair, or the correct way to go about it, since a lot of folks seem to derive their standard for par based on something that came from ball golf, and doesn't translate over to our game that well.

since a lot of folks seem to derive their standard for par based on something that came from ball golf, and doesn't translate over to our game that well.

The number of shots to reach the green + 2 = par standard works just fine as long as "the green" or "close range" is appropriately defined. The 10 meter circle does not equal "the green". A 10 meter putt in disc golf is the equivalent of a 4-5 foot putt in ball golf. The disc golf "green" is more accurately defined an unobstructed, flat circular area with radius of about 150 feet. As obstacles and topographical undulations become present, the circle shrinks to as small as 70-80 feet.

The number of shots to reach the green + 2 = par standard works just fine as long as "the green" or "close range" is appropriately defined. The 10 meter circle does not equal "the green". A 10 meter putt in disc golf is the equivalent of a 4-5 foot putt in ball golf. The disc golf "green" is more accurately defined an unobstructed, flat circular area with radius of about 150 feet. As obstacles and topographical undulations become present, the circle shrinks to as small as 70-80 feet.
Meaning that on our standard length park golf layouts, about 30-60% of the hole is in the so called "green" equivalant to a ball golf course. On such layouts, even an intermediate level player is going to be well, well inside so called "close range" unless he shanks his drive or hits an early obstacle on a great deal of the holes. He may even make the 10 meter circle a handful of times. This sort if philosophy is why we end up with "Par 3" 225' holes that probably have an SSA in the 2.3 range.

"Anyone who disagrees with me just don't know what they're talking about".

^^Never a good debating tool. :)

But I do agree this discussion should never happen again. :gross:

I agree with your analysis. I hate holes that are wide open around a basket on flat ground (the 150 foot radius "greens".) Disc golf is much better when:

The "greens" have obstacles and slopes (making for the 70-80 foot radius) and

The approach shots to the "greens" don't allow a great shot to be parked, a good shot to leave a no-risk 40 footer, and a bad shot to leave a no-brainer up and down for par. A great shot should leave a 30-40 footer with some risk of three putt, a good shot should leave a 70-80 footer that requires some touch to lay up for par and a bad shot should leave a tricky 150 footer that is difficult to get up and down.

how you score a course and what par is for the course are completely different things... why the hell does everyone keep arguing over two completely different things.

how you score a course and what par is for the course are completely different things... why the hell does everyone keep arguing over two completely different things.

Agreed. This is ridiculous.

Par 3 blah blah 600ft blah blah Par 15 blah blah 54 blah 66 blah you're dumb, no you're dumb blah read this blah who cares blah blah total score blah blah -1 blah +11

:|

I like thinking of every hole as a par 3. Even if it is an impossible task, the pursuit of the 3 is a noble path to walk. I always want to get the optimal result on a hole and I insist there is at least a "pro route" to get it.

Meh, you are from Pittsburgh, a community so backwards you have yet to discover the garbage dumpster. I love me some Pamela's, but damn is it gross to see a 20' stack of garbage bags filled with crepes waiting to be picked up on Friday morning. Beats the Big O though. You like how I zinged you with inside information? :p

Damn, I have nothing but good things to say about Rochester and people from Rochester...

So you moved to Picksburgh from somewhere else huh? How is your job at Bayer? Or did you move there as a kid? You're not a murse are you...

I was going to troll this thread tonight but I just can't do it.. I still don't understand how people fail to see the difference between standardized par and how they choose to score a round.

Doubtful. We'd then have 29,398 threads regarding whether whatever "consistent" standard we set is fair, or the correct way to go about it, since a lot of folks seem to derive their standard for par based on something that came from ball golf, and doesn't translate over to our game that well.

I'm not saying get a perfect system (I think most would agree this doesn't exist)

I'm just saying consistency.......put the pride away and make a standard......

The DGCD is trying to implement this.

some of you clearly doesn't understand what the hell the term par means. to even say everything should be par 3 is perhaps the dumbest damn thing i've ever heard out of a disc golfer, and i've heard some dumb ****.

you can say everything should be scored based on 3 strokes per hole if you want, and i think most of us would agree that it just makes sense to count your score that way; but that doesn't make the hole a par 3.

go find a dictionary.