• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should DGCR have a Podcast

Should DGCR have a Podcast

• Total voters
Bonus points if ThreePutt wears the wig and nails.
There's no doubt you'd be able to pull that look off more successfully than he would.

...but no one could appreciate that in a podcast. :(

I would be interested in hearing CGK, Houck, Pat Blake, Jeff Harper, Chris Sprague and others discuss course design.

A friend and I have discussed starting a course design podcast, but I don't think either of us will ever have enough time to do it. I don't know enough yet to do one either (still working on my first design and still reading everything I can find), but I'd love to listen to it. If anyone wants to do one, here are some of the thoughts about possible segments.

• Interviews from prominent designers (see the quote above)
  • An in-depth breakdown of well-known holes (this is the bread and butter of course design, and would need to include both good and bad aspects of those holes)
  • Discussing an aspect of course design in-depth (routing, amenities, specifics of championship-level courses, how to layout multiple tees/pins)
  • Discussing some features (good and bad) of a recent course on tour (it did these things well and these things poorly)
  • Attempting to answer common design questions
  • How-to guide for beginners (how to approach Parks and Rec depts, how to install tees, etc.)

I think doing something with more people and getting more opinions (i.e. people in these threads) would be the best way to do a design podcast, even if it means having guests that are non-experts. I'd still want the guests to be knowledgeable and insightful, but it's good to get non-expert opinions as well (although the expert opinions would usually be more valuable).

If it's a dgcr podcast, then we should delve into the history a bit. I'm thinking an episode with Frank D, Apothecary, Vegan Ray, 80played, Prerub, etc.

Episode 9: Where are they now?: DGCR Edition

Should the first episode include the salacious, tell all, Timg interview or do you save that for a season finale?

I can see that. I'd probably listen to that.

oldmandiscer would probably involve the call of do you let an internet persona go on the podcast without disclosing who they actually are, though. He's got an anonymous profile.

Would be kinda fun to let people choose if they want to be anonymous or not but force them to do video no matter what. Just display their screen name, let them wear a mask if they want or somehow have to tech ready to blur faces and change their voices like every inside documentary does about drug runners and dealers.

When I toyed with the idea of doing a podcast years ago, I had the idea of covering what happened on the site that week / month. Good reviews, interesting / weird threads, that kind of thing. Might be fun to mix stuff like that with actual disc golf content.

When I toyed with the idea of doing a podcast years ago, I had the idea of covering what happened on the site that week / month. Good reviews, interesting / weird threads, that kind of thing. Might be fun to mix stuff like that with actual disc golf content.

So what I'm hearing here is that you want to be the one to wear the Linda wig.

Fair.

But Threeputt needs some kind of sprucing up for public consumption. :|

Can I be a guest and then rage quit halfway through?
I think that would be hysterical.

I also think Justin Menickelli just proved that the demographic seems to be taking this stuff waaayyy more seriously than I do. :eek: I'm not sure we are allowed to have fun with disc golf anymore.

So what I'm hearing here is that you want to be the one to wear the Linda wig.

Fair.

But Threeputt needs some kind of sprucing up for public consumption. :|
If one guy in drag is funny, TWO guys in drag has to be twice as funny. Right?

If one guy in drag is funny, TWO guys in drag has to be twice as funny. Right?

picture.php

Just show some clips of Terry Jones from Monty Python while 3P is talking. Problem solved.

_110607822_jonesbrianjpg.jpg

A friend and I have discussed starting a course design podcast, but I don't think either of us will ever have enough time to do it. I don't know enough yet to do one either (still working on my first design and still reading everything I can find), but I'd love to listen to it. If anyone wants to do one, here are some of the thoughts about possible segments.

• Interviews from prominent designers (see the quote above)
  • An in-depth breakdown of well-known holes (this is the bread and butter of course design, and would need to include both good and bad aspects of those holes)
  • Discussing an aspect of course design in-depth (routing, amenities, specifics of championship-level courses, how to layout multiple tees/pins)
  • Discussing some features (good and bad) of a recent course on tour (it did these things well and these things poorly)
  • Attempting to answer common design questions
  • How-to guide for beginners (how to approach Parks and Rec depts, how to install tees, etc.)

I think doing something with more people and getting more opinions (i.e. people in these threads) would be the best way to do a design podcast, even if it means having guests that are non-experts. I'd still want the guests to be knowledgeable and insightful, but it's good to get non-expert opinions as well (although the expert opinions would usually be more valuable).

Another idea for a possible segment: turning good holes into great holes.

I listen to a ton of podcasts (which of course makes me an expert…;), and I suggest focusing on three questions:

What makes a podcast from DGCR unique…or at least differentiated from others?

- Sexton and Earhart are active pros, and they do in-depth interviews with other players

- The Disc Golf Podcast is two buddies reviewing discs (and beer)

- The Inside Line was a short series focusing on course design, interviewing designers

- PDGA Radio (currently on hiatus) was primarily news about the sport, with interviews and picks, from a PDGA viewpoint

- The Upshot is primarily news about the sport, with interviews and picks, from an "independent" viewpoint

What would a podcast from DGCR bring that wouldn't already be out there?

Does the idea for content have enough legs to sustain a lot of episodes?

Nothing worse than getting a bunch of episodes done, and then feeling like you're just gonna be repeating yourself. In addition to the other comments about a form podcast, how many unique episodes can you REALLY do about backhand?

Can you keep the episodes short?

The "two guys talking" format tends to allow for a lot of fluff, off-topic rambling, etc. With the number of podcasts out there, nobody's looking for another 60 minute weekly program. That's why I gave up on all the Dynamic content early on: I'd see a 90 minute run time and not even bother. In a lot of successful podcasts, 30 minutes is the max, and 20 is ideal.

My one suggestion is to consider a "limited series" approach: work out a "season" of 8-10 weekly or semi-weekly podcasts, and announce it as a limited series with more to come in the future. I see more and more podcasts taking this approach. It helps limit burnout, and keeps the audience wanting more.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm negative on the idea. I'd LOVE another disc golf podcast, especially one that somehow uses things that are unique about DGCR.

ThreePutt needs to be on a podcast!

Moose would probably make a good, more traditional, host. He does well on the YouTubes.

I can think of a few others. We have quite a cast of characters on here that could be entertaining and informational.

Hand one of the elder statesman a mic and let them wax poetic for a set period of time. Yes please!

I cannot emphasize strongly enough the importance of the phrase: "set period of time"

I listen to a ton of podcasts (which of course makes me an expert…;), and I suggest focusing on three questions:

What makes a podcast from DGCR unique…or at least differentiated from others?

- Sexton and Earhart are active pros, and they do in-depth interviews with other players

- The Disc Golf Podcast is two buddies reviewing discs (and beer)

- The Inside Line was a short series focusing on course design, interviewing designers

- PDGA Radio (currently on hiatus) was primarily news about the sport, with interviews and picks, from a PDGA viewpoint

- The Upshot is primarily news about the sport, with interviews and picks, from an "independent" viewpoint

What would a podcast from DGCR bring that wouldn't already be out there?

Does the idea for content have enough legs to sustain a lot of episodes?

Nothing worse than getting a bunch of episodes done, and then feeling like you're just gonna be repeating yourself. In addition to the other comments about a form podcast, how many unique episodes can you REALLY do about backhand?

Can you keep the episodes short?

The "two guys talking" format tends to allow for a lot of fluff, off-topic rambling, etc. With the number of podcasts out there, nobody's looking for another 60 minute weekly program. That's why I gave up on all the Dynamic content early on: I'd see a 90 minute run time and not even bother. In a lot of successful podcasts, 30 minutes is the max, and 20 is ideal.

My one suggestion is to consider a "limited series" approach: work out a "season" of 8-10 weekly or semi-weekly podcasts, and announce it as a limited series with more to come in the future. I see more and more podcasts taking this approach. It helps limit burnout, and keeps the audience wanting more.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm negative on the idea. I'd LOVE another disc golf podcast, especially one that somehow uses things that are unique about DGCR.

I pretty much agree 100% with this. Gotta be something unique…recapping the last night tournament, interviewing pros, 2 guys rambling, etc is already being done.

Given the name of the site is DGCR I think it makes the most sense to focus on courses, and a variety of topics surrounding courses.

In a perfect world I'd imagine the purpose of a podcast would be to drive more traffic to the site itself. I agree with the shorter format, closer to 20 minutes if possible. If people like the episode you can direct any follow up discussion to the forums.

If the general topic was courses you could cover that from a million different angles. Highlight some of the top rated courses and what makes them great, maybe highlight a newly installed (and hyped) course, course design itself, making course improvements, how to get the ball rolling with new course proposals, destination dg trips or vacation locations, criteria to consider when rating or reviewing a course, and probably other ideas I'm not thinking of.

Latest posts